Who are Prime New Head Coach Candidates?

fire Dean, hire Candace P.

give ultimatum to Holly, "no more head scratching I don't knows...."

She makes to much money on TV.... coaching would be a come down for her!

I doubt she makes all that much money in her analyst job. A quick internet search shows her net worth at $1 million. That may sound like a lot of money, but at 36 years old and after having spent many years in front of tv cameras, if she was receiving a super-size salary from ESPN, it seems like her net would be higher. I'm no financial guru, but it seems unlikely to me that ESPN is throwing tons of money at her.

Compare to some of these SEC salaries, found in a story from 2015:

Matthew Mitchell earns $1,100,000 in just one year as a coach.
Matthew Mitchell, Kentucky
Guaranteed compensation: $1,100,000

Other annual salaries in the SEC:
Gary Blair, Texas A&M
Guaranteed compensation: $880,000

Dawn Staley, South Carolina
Guaranteed compensation: $875,000

Nikki Caldwell, LSU
Guaranteed compensation: $700,000

Now that's some real money.

If Dawn Staley would take the job, then the conversation should start and end with her. If not, maybe Matthew Mitchell.

Here is where I have a problem....I agree that very shortly it may be time to replace Holly but how in the world is Matthew Mitchell an upgrade over her?

Reactions: 3 people
4th year at Belmont, 51-14 the last 2 years, 29-3 OVC those same 2.And had Ky on the ropes in the NCAA 1st rd this year before losing by 3.I believe he's more than up and coming or cheap.He was asst at Ga and Louisville before Belmont so he should know his way around big-time WCBB.Currie will do what he likes so it doesn't matter anyway.But Newbauer would/could not be worse than CHW

Thank you. And who are these big time coaches that are going to leave their programs to come to Tennessee? You seriously think Frese, Mulkey, McGraw, Staley, or Geno are going to pack up and come to UT.

Reactions: 2 people
I sure would like to see it offered to Kara Lawson. She nails the LV problems every time she comments. Could she fix the problems? I'd hate to go up against her strength of will.

One thing that is quite noticeable with these NCAAT games on TV is that many teams actually run offensive plays. The players seem to know (or they guess well) what each teammate is going to do and where they are going. It almost looks like choreographed dance. We (and some other teams) look like we are making it up each trip down the court. You can't expect to scoop up trash every time down the court.

My top three potential coaches would be:

1. Cheryl Reeve
2. Becky Hammons
3. Nancy Lieberman

These ladies have great experience and know how to win. They have the ability to keep our top recruits from transferring. They also know what it takes to make it to the WNBA. With the name recognition, and the rich history of the Lady Vol program, Tennessee would be a recruitment magnet.

Thank you. And who are these big time coaches that are going to leave their programs to come to Tennessee? You seriously think Frese, Mulkey, McGraw, Staley, or Geno are going to pack up and come to UT.

Surely you are not suggesting that UT womens program cannot attract a top coach. Please, GBO!!!!!

Whoever the next candidate is, they have to be able to coach, teach, establish an identity for what the team does, set high standards, hold them accountable and most importantly, be consistent.

It is strange.... these coaches are interviewed in between periods of their NCAA games... and they seem to talk like they know basketball..... the UCLA coach, NC State, Ms State, take any number of coaches.... then our coach is interviewed.... and she says things any 5th grader could have said.... "we are not hustling" .... "we are not hitting our shots" "we are not bringing it".... I wish Holly was a better tactician .... knew her x's and o's better.... and could run an offense.

It is strange.... these coaches are interviewed in between periods of their NCAA games... and they seem to talk like they know basketball..... the UCLA coach, NC State, Ms State, take any number of coaches.... then our coach is interviewed.... and she says things any 5th grader could have said.... "we are not hustling" .... "we are not hitting our shots" "we are not bringing it".... I wish Holly was a better tactician .... knew her x's and o's better.... and could run an offense.

Every coach I hear speaks in vague generalities. Whether it be during the game or after, they don't​ say much of substance. I'm all for eliminating the in-game interviews.

My choice is Holly.And she is the best candidate to lead this upcoming year.
Feel good about this year.
No short bench.
Backup in the post.
Jaime can play her natural position,first and foremost​.
Guards that can shot.
Guards that can dribble drive.
Power forward...Green.
Return of the Jedi (Dunbar).
Davis displaying why she should have been rated number one.
And other goodies.
Now if only someone can tell me, what a read/react motion offensive is about. Or what will be the best offense for what we will have next year.

My choice is Holly.And she is the best candidate to lead this upcoming year.
Feel good about this year.
No short bench.
Backup in the post.
Jaime can play her natural position,first and foremost​.
Guards that can shot.
Guards that can dribble drive.
Power forward...Green.
Return of the Jedi (Dunbar).
Davis displaying why she should have been rated number one.
And other goodies.
Now if only someone can tell me, what a read/react motion offensive is about. Or what will be the best offense for what we will have next year.

Whats up Prophet,

I will take a stab at it:
Read and React as I know it...

It’s not a “set” offense, nor is it a “motion offense”. . . It is more of a planned-situational offense.

You “read” the defensive alignment and “react” with practiced strategies for that situation.
There is no standard designed movement.
Except for the designed strategies drawn up by the individual team, for that circumstance.

Mostly it is done with two-man reads.
Every player watches the ballhandler and based upon where the ballhandler is, use _______ reaction
The best thing about RnR is that if you can draw up the “reaction strategies” so that they suit your team’s strengths.

Usually, the RnR is run when your offensive set breaks down or is ineffective.
You then design plays based on the reached point of the offensive set.

Whats up Prophet,

I will take a stab at it:
Read and React as I know it...

It’s not a “set” offense, nor is it a “motion offense”. . . It is more of a planned-situational offense.

You “read” the defensive alignment and “react” with practiced strategies for that situation.
There is no standard designed movement.
Except for the designed strategies drawn up by the individual team, for that circumstance.

Mostly it is done with two-man reads.
Every player watches the ballhandler and based upon where the ballhandler is, use _______ reaction
The best thing about RnR is that if you can draw up the “reaction strategies” so that they suit your team’s strengths.

Usually, the RnR is run when your offensive set breaks down or is ineffective.
You then design plays based on the reached point of the offensive set.

Thanks Coach, appreciate that.

Only thing is Holly is a pound the ball inside coach....just like Pat....don't see her ever changing that

Only thing is Holly is a pound the ball inside coach....just like Pat....don't see her ever changing that

When teams do to MR what MSU did to Baylor's Brown last night, I wonder if she has a plan B besides the "Diamond Freestyle"

When teams do to MR what MSU did to Baylor's Brown last night, I wonder if she has a plan B besides the "Diamond Freestyle"

Haven't seen what is is, but I do know what I would throw at them...I'd play Hi-Lo with MR low and either KD, AM, or JN at the elbow for the kickout/

VN Store

Back