Who carries a knife?

Just picked up a Kershaw/Ken Onion "chive" - small EDC knife.

I'm amazed at the "assisted" opening working pretty much like a switchblade.

Just picked up a Kershaw/Ken Onion "chive" - small EDC knife.

I'm amazed at the "assisted" opening working pretty much like a switchblade.

Get back to us on what you think of the blade. I looked at the Chive for my latest knife purchase but settled for a Spyderco Endura 4. One of the reasons was the Spydy's VG-10 blade as opposed to the Chive's 420HC. The latter is supposed to take a very nice edge but I wonder about how well it holds it.

Of course, you may not wear on your knives like I do so the comparison might be tough but I'd stll be interested to hear your impressions.

Get back to us on what you think of the blade. I looked at the Chive for my latest knife purchase but settled for a Spyderco Endura 4. One of the reasons was the Spydy's VG-10 blade as opposed to the Chive's 420HC. The latter is supposed to take a very nice edge but I wonder about how well it holds it.

Of course, you may not wear on your knives like I do so the comparison might be tough but I'd stll be interested to hear your impressions.

Will do but as you suggest in the last sentence I probably won't use it nearly as much as some on here.

Gerber pocketknife. I've had this one for over 10 years. It's standard equipment for my right front pocket.

Pic is smaller than the actual knife. Opened the knife has an overall length of 6".

22-06009_Gerber_LST_LST_Fine_Edge.jpg

I carry an old Uncle Henry that I bought years ago when I was in school. I've had a few times when I thought I'd lost it. I have my great grandfather's old Camillus knife that I wouldn't dare carry around!

something like this but older... I don't hear about camillus much these days?

CM-711Y-small.jpg

I carry an Uncle Henry everyday. Have an old German Eye I got from my grandfather. Don't want to take the chance of losing it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 65YearsAVol
I carry an old Uncle Henry that I bought years ago when I was in school. I've had a few times when I thought I'd lost it. I have my great grandfather's old Camillus knife that I wouldn't dare carry around!

something like this but older... I don't hear about camillus much these days?

CM-711Y-small.jpg

I have had several good knives that I carried around. Carried as in past tense, since I lost them all. So now I have a little plastic handled, saw toothed "knife" that no one else would have. I've carried it for over two years. Use it for generally everything except cutting. And that's a good thing, since it will hardly cut warm butter.

I work as a technician, and I carry a Leatherman Wave at all times. It's nice to have a multi-tool with a wire stripper in addition to the expected tools.

Wave-base.jpg

I would recommend anyone that works with wires take a look at one.

I almost always have my Gerber Vallotton on me. It has the spring technology, makes it really easy to open. Also has a half straight, half serrated blade so I can cut through the thin and thick stuff, which is nice.

I used to carry a Gerber Suspension multi-tool, and I liked everything but the scissors.

I've gotta say im pretty surprised at how many people on here do carry them, but i guess different cultures etc. and due to my "sterotype" in england if i were randomly stopped and i had one bam big ass fine in my pocket...although the one time i did have one on me i went to pay for something in a shop put my hand in my pocket and it was slightly open, cut my hand a bit...shop assistant must have thought i was crazy or considering robbing her lol

I've gotta say im pretty surprised at how many people on here do carry them, but i guess different cultures etc. and due to my "sterotype" in england if i were randomly stopped and i had one bam big ass fine in my pocket...although the one time i did have one on me i went to pay for something in a shop put my hand in my pocket and it was slightly open, cut my hand a bit...shop assistant must have thought i was crazy or considering robbing her lol

Definitely a cultural thing. I've had pocket knives around since I was about 7 or 8. I got quite a few as Christmas and birthday presents. Few things are as useful as a good knife.

Reactions: HeadVol77
I was walking downtown this morning, and there were knives sitting outside a restaurant in a basket. I was thinking kind of dangerous!

There is a pretty good sized guy who lives around here who fancied himself a "knife fighter" supreme. Of course, when others around here spoke of him they said, "When Ralph comes by, you can smell gunpowder and BS when he is approaching, and when he is leaving, and all points in between."

Anyway, ole Ralph fine tuned his knife blade in some way, maybe ground a knotch in it or a hook or something. The idea being so he could pull the knife out of his pocket, hook the blade knotch on his belt loop and opening the blade while the knife was just coming out of his pocket. Then he could draw his knife, with the blade open and ready to cut, with just one hand - or so he said.

One day he was in the process of demonstrating his fast knife draw. He whipped it out, opened the blade, misjudged something and proceeded to make a pretty good slice in his belly. That was the last time I heard of any quick draw knifeplay from ole Ralph.

Reactions: HeadVol77
There is a pretty good sized guy who lives around here who fancied himself a "knife fighter" supreme. Of course, when others around here spoke of him they said, "When Ralph comes by, you can smell gunpowder and BS when he is approaching, and when he is leaving, and all points in between."

Anyway, ole Ralph fine tuned his knife blade in some way, maybe ground a knotch in it or a hook or something. The idea being so he could pull the knife out of his pocket, hook the blade knotch on his belt loop and opening the blade while the knife was just coming out of his pocket. Then he could draw his knife, with the blade open and ready to cut, with just one hand - or so he said.

One day he was in the process of demonstrating his fast knife draw. He whipped it out, opened the blade, misjudged something and proceeded to make a pretty good slice in his belly. That was the last time I heard of any quick draw knifeplay from ole Ralph.

Pretty sure it was Emerson that first came out with what they named the "wave", which is basically a shaped stud meant to catch on the pocket during removal and open the knife. Always seemed kinda gimmicky to me. Sounds like your man Ralph is what a lot of people like to a "mall ninja".

Here's a how-to on making your own knife a wave. May even be where Ralph got his idea.

SPEEDdraw Knife Mod

Reactions: 1 person
Pretty sure it was Emerson that first came out with what they named the "wave", which is basically a shaped stud meant to catch on the pocket during removal and open the knife. Always seemed kinda gimmicky to me. Sounds like your man Ralph is what a lot of people like to a "mall ninja".

Here's a how-to on making your own knife a wave. May even be where Ralph got his idea.

SPEEDdraw Knife Mod

very detailed..

SPEEDdraw Knife Mod

I doubt that Rapid Ralph has ever surfed the net. He probably already knows everything on the net anyway. I just wonder if he got arrested for practicing surgery without a license.

I recently picked up a Spyderco Tenacious G-10. It has quickly become my favorite knife. About 30 bucks from Amazon.

spyderco.jpg

VN Store

Back