Who would you start at QB?

Who would you start at QB this season if you were the head coach?

• Jarrett Guarantano

• Harrison Bailey

• Brian Maurer

• JT Shrout

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
With no spring you got to go with JG, JG needs to try to not to lose the game instead of trying to win the game, play bama ball like they did in the past, get behind our big OL and run the ball and shorten the game if we can do that we can win 9 games maybe 10 with a bowl game.

No spring practice hurt Bailey’s opportunity to win the job. Betting he redshirts now.

JG should get the chance, but be on a short leash. Maurer is next up and gets a long leash to learn and see if he can stay healthy.

After that...who knows. But Bailey should redshirt since there was no spring.

I agree on the JG part...However, i think Bailey is well beyond both Maurer and Shrout in most aspects. I doubt Bailey RS’s unless we see something TOTALLY different than what we saw last year...from all options.

I agree on the JG part...However, i think Bailey is well beyond both Maurer and Shrout in most aspects. I doubt Bailey RS’s unless we see something TOTALLY different than what we saw last year...from all options.
I am just asking you to clarify... not trying to be disagreeable.

But what and on what basis are you claiming HB is beyond the other two? He may be but he's yet to take a college snap past a couple of practices in shorts. I watched a lot of his video. He does some really good things. But I didn't see arm strength better than Maurer. Neither has Shrout's arm.

What specifically are you talking about and why do you think that way?

Whoever gives us the best chance of winning football games, as indicated on how they perform in practice/scrimmage etc.
Unfortunately, there are guys who are practice warriors but cannot translate it to the field. The coaches were shocked with how differently JG played in games last year compared to how he practiced.

What you say works 85% of the time. Maybe more. But there are guys who practice great and play poorly and others who don't look like much in practice who find a different gear in games.

But what and on what basis are you claiming HB is beyond the other two? He may be but he's yet to take a college snap past a couple of practices in shorts. I watched a lot of his video. He does some really good things. But I didn't see arm strength better than Maurer. Neither has Shrout's arm.

Primarily I’m looking at the competition and stats in HS...Bailey orchestrated a state championship and a top 10 national ranking playing some of the best competition HS football has to offer....racking up tremendous stats.

I think he is better prepared to see, process and preform at this level...at this stage.

I'd make Maurer prove that he can throw the ball to the correct team during mop up duty before letting him start another game, and I'd make Harrison Bailey prove he can handle the big stage before starting a game. JG would be the man, with a short leash.
Which INT in mop up are you referring to?

Yeah. You don't "hate" anyone, do you? You are truly "objective" and a Vol fan first...

I wish there were a deeper shade of blue....
No I don't.

Its not a you vs Dobbs situation where the guy is carrying the team and putting up good numbers but I'm still bashing him or calling for Dormady to play or the equivalent.

They were pretty craptacular at qb last year. Numbers don't lie.

JG was pretty average which was much better than what the others did.

If you want the other two based on last year then you must not want to win or throw the ball.

Primarily I’m looking at the competition and stats in HS...Bailey orchestrated a state championship and a top 10 national ranking playing some of the best competition HS football has to offer....racking up tremendous stats.

I think he is better prepared to see, process and preform at this level...at this stage.
I am much more of a "show me" kind of guy. HS competition even at a very high level isn't the SEC. But thank you for a respectful answer.

For what? Who is the more terrible qb?

lmao

I guess you don't want wins or a qb that can pass.

Here we go. Negative Nancy found her way to another thread.

The talent is there for both. They’re just green as hell.

JG is a rollercoaster. Up and down.

A bit off topic but... I can't remember where but i've heard people question Baileys arm strength. I've watched every piece of film on Bailey I could find and I never got the impression that he had a weak arm. Doesn't look like he has Shrouts arm strength but certainly above average arm strength. Whats your take on this?

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
With no spring you got to go with JG, JG needs to try to not to lose the game instead of trying to win the game, play bama ball like they did in the past, get behind our big OL and run the ball and shorten the game if we can do that we can win 9 games maybe 10 with a bowl game.
We were 3rd from last in rushing last year, we definitely need to improve there if we are going to win 10 games.

Reactions: Bennessee01
No I don't.
You... are a fundamentally dishonest person.
Its not a you vs Dobbs situation where the guy is carrying the team and putting up good numbers but I'm still bashing him or calling for Dormady to play or the equivalent.
You have consistently told this bald-faced lie... and never proven it. I never "bashed" Dobbs. I said he was inaccurate in the strike zone... which he was. I bashed D4H pretty hard... maybe you're him too?... when he said moronic things like Dobbs was ready to win the Steeler's starting job as a rookie.

Dobbs made consistent progress year by year. Any deficiency he had was made up for other strengths... JG has a very significant weakness and no particular strength that balances it. Teams hated trying to gameplan Dobbs. Even bad D's have no trouble gameplanning JG.

They were pretty craptacular at qb last year. Numbers don't lie.
Do when you twist them as you always do... of course you aren't "bashing" here... are you? No "hate" implied in the word "craptacular"... huh?

You... are a fundamentally dishonest person.

JG was pretty average which was much better than what the others did.
He was below average and likely would have lost the job permanently if Maurer had stayed healthy... which isn't to say Maurer played great. He didn't. But his mistakes were aggressive mistakes. His INT vs UF was him trying to force the ball into a small window against a really good secondary and having a DB bat the ball up in the air for another to make a diving catch.

JG's mistakes and shortcomings are not because he's playing aggressive and making correctable mistakes. If anything he has always played too tentative.

If you want the other two based on last year then you must not want to win or throw the ball.
I don't want ANY of them based on last year... and talk about not winning... take a look at JG's 3 years at UT.

I'm not delusional about any of them... you are. What I have said is that younger players are on a different part of their development curve than a 5th year Sr who has never become a consistent, quality QB. I don't know what the ceilings are for Maurer or Shrout. It is reasonable however to say they haven't reached theirs and can make much more progress over the off-season than JG who is at or near his ceiling.

A bit off topic but... I can't remember where but i've heard people question Baileys arm strength. I've watched every piece of film on Bailey I could find and I never got the impression that he had a weak arm. Doesn't look like he has Shrouts arm strength but certainly above average arm strength. Whats your take on this?
Just like yours. I've had people get upset with me but I don't see great arm strength either. There is some indication that he's been yanked in different directions concerning his physical development. I personally think he needs to develop more arm strength before playing... but that can be done in a summer.

I hate to open myself up like this... but I'm more excited about Salter than HB at this point.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
I am much more of a "show me" kind of guy. HS competition even at a very high level isn't the SEC. But thank you for a respectful answer.

I’m that way myself and I feel that both Shrout and Maurer have good qualities, just that Bailey has more of a complete game...more accomplished and polished at this point than what they were..

Whether that translates to the SEC...you’re right, we shall see.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife

VN Store

Back