Who would you start at QB?

Who would you start at QB this season if you were the head coach?

• Jarrett Guarantano

• Harrison Bailey

• Brian Maurer

• JT Shrout

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
The 15% that say Maurer remember who was at the helm when the season turned around. You and your comrades may not want to give credit where it’s due because of WHO that credit is attached to but it changes nothing. The qb change itself inspired the team but His play vs UGA made them believe. Prior to, this team was lifeless and just “going through the motions” in losing efforts. That all changed once Maurer took the field and it didn’t change the rest of the season. JG stepped up his game in his opportunities as a result of knowing that he was no longer viewed as the “best QBs by far”. He played like he had something to prove. You say Maurer had NOTHING to do with wins but anyone paying attention can see he had EVERYTHING to do with the turn around. This was a 4-8 team last year if that change had never been made.

And Let’s not forget that we’re likely looking at a new head coach this year if he hadn’t pulled the trigger as well.
Maurer did help the team. He does deserve some credit....but you're taking it too far. You're acting like he is the sole reason we finished strong. He is not. Tone it down a bit. You know I like Maurer, and he deserves some credit but, my dude.... he didn't play very well. I'm sure he has improved tho.

They aren't. Why suggest such a stupid thing? They're looking at his potential based on some flashes last year and believe he is more likely to improve than the others.

No. We know that the coaches had to manage the position because JG was not good enough. He wasn't the "best by far". Pruitt was willing to throw their off season investment in JG away by game 4. He was ready to make Maurer the starter and live with all of the difficulties that come with it.

No you aren't. You never have. You parse the "stats" to suit you. If they don't fit your narrative you dismiss them altogether. You deny obvious short comings in JG then nitpick the others and particularly Maurer.

There will be more of a competition this fall. I hope it produces a QB that is MUCH better than anything we've seen over the last 3 years. I do not believe that will come from JG. I believe he is at or near his ceiling.

I watched part of the BYU game the other day. I had not remembered it before but McElroy was even talking about JG being late with his reads and throws.

FTR, my problem is with you and a few others... not JG. He has given his heart to the program. He possesses many of the traits that make a great QB. But he doesn't process quickly enough and apparently lacks whatever you call the ability to anticipate things in a moving situation. That's not a knock on him personally. It DOES keep him from being the QB UT needs.
JG was the best option we had last season.

JG was the best option we had last season.
So why were they willing to replace him with a true Fr until that Fr got injured? The coaches managed a situation where there were no "best options"... only shifting choices between "less bad". Brian Maurer with a concussion was obviously not a better option than JG with a broken hand. But when both were healthy the coaches were ready to ride with Maurer.

Reactions: sona
Someone, yes. Don't care who it is. I just wa t HB to get a decent amount of playing time.
I want him to get whatever time he earns. I don't have a particular horse in the race. I hope HB is as great as his hype.... but he has to prove it first.

So why were they willing to replace him with a true Fr until that Fr got injured? The coaches managed a situation where there were no "best options"... only shifting choices between "less bad". Brian Maurer with a concussion was obviously not a better option than JG with a broken hand. But when both were healthy the coaches were ready to ride with Maurer.
He wasn't the best option at all times but on average, he was a better option than Maurer or shrout. I do think shrout should have played more tho.

I want him to get whatever time he earns. I don't have a particular horse in the race. I hope HB is as great as his hype.... but he has to prove it first.
Yeah, of course he needs to earn his time. I think its gonna get interesting when bailey and salter are both on campus.

Maurer did help the team. He does deserve some credit....but you're taking it too far. You're acting like he is the sole reason we finished strong. He is not. Tone it down a bit. You know I like Maurer, and he deserves some credit but, my dude.... he didn't play very well. I'm sure he has improved tho.
Simply pointing out the time frame of which the turn around took place as well as the effect it had on JG with Maurer on his heels. Think about it..... once Maurer took over JG began throwing downfield and making plays rather than check downs and 3 and outs. After BM landed on his head vs MSU JG hooked up with Keaton on a deep route in coverage that we hadn’t JG take that chance prior. Vs Alabama I’m convinced that he went rogue because he wanted to prove he can do what Maurer did earlier in the contest. Vs UK he trusted his receivers to make plays in 1-1 coverage like Maurer did. After UK he once again became the unquestioned starter. He followed it up with a stinker vs Vandy. He played his best game of the year vs a very weak defense in Missouri and then another stinker vs IU. It just looks like Maurer was in JGs head during “the battle”. Once the “battle” was over it seemed JG resorted back to his old ways.

given what we know for a fact now JG and Covid only makes that more clear. But it all comes down to fall practice We havent seen any of these guys on the feild really since practices got shut down. What have these guys been doing in the interim? Watching film? Working out? As much as I have said I didn't think they looked that great in games both Maurer and Shrout showed they have raw talent last year. Bailey is who knows and the other guys are wild cards. JG has the experience and we know at the very least what he brings and he CAN win. anyone else is gonna have to beat him out.

Reactions: 1vol8
The 15% that say Maurer remember who was at the helm when the season turned around. You and your comrades may not want to give credit where it’s due because of WHO that credit is attached to but it changes nothing. The qb change itself inspired the team but His play vs UGA made them believe. Prior to, this team was lifeless and just “going through the motions” in losing efforts. That all changed once Maurer took the field and it didn’t change the rest of the season. JG stepped up his game in his opportunities as a result of knowing that he was no longer viewed as the “best QBs by far”. He played like he had something to prove. You say Maurer had NOTHING to do with wins but anyone paying attention can see he had EVERYTHING to do with the turn around. This was a 4-8 team last year if that change had never been made.

And Let’s not forget that we’re likely looking at a new head coach this year if he hadn’t pulled the trigger as well.
lmao

The defensive starters coming back and JG getting more comfortable in the offense were the reasons for the turnaround.

Maurer was at the helm for losses or potential losses that Jg saved. That is about it.

lmao

The defensive starters coming back and JG getting more comfortable in the offense were the reasons for the turnaround.

Maurer was at the helm for losses or potential losses that Jg saved. That is about it.
Still can’t take the truth........ I hold out hope that one day you’ll learn the difference of reality vs your delusions.

JG is the most pedestrian and boring QB UT has suffered in a long time. Apparently both are qualities Pruitt values. Nothing interesting happens. He won't move. Things develop in a plodding methodical manner. No real spark. Not many turnovers, but sacks in abundance though he seems to be trying to improve here.

I no longer want to see him lead UT. Let him come off of the bench if needed. He isn't taking us to the promised land and I am tired of wandering the desert. Suck it up now and play for the future. Suffer some rookie mistakes along the way. Do it now instead of wasting another season.

I agree on the JG part...However, i think Bailey is well beyond both Maurer and Shrout in most aspects. I doubt Bailey RS’s unless we see something TOTALLY different than what we saw last year...from all options.

I'm not being argumentative, just wondering what makes you believe HB is beyond Maurer and Shrout in most respects

JG is the most pedestrian and boring QB UT has suffered in a long time. Apparently both are qualities Pruitt values. Nothing interesting happens. He won't move. Things develop in a plodding methodical manner. No real spark. Not many turnovers, but sacks in abundance though he seems to be trying to improve here.

Did you see the Missouri game? Did you see the games he didn't start that we came back and won? I agree he's far from the best we'd like to see but he has a better chance, this year, to lead us to 9 or more wins.

I no longer want to see him lead UT. Let him come off of the bench if needed. He isn't taking us to the promised land and I am tired of wandering the desert. Suck it up now and play for the future. Suffer some rookie mistakes along the way. Do it now instead of wasting another season.

He wasn't the best option at all times but on average, he was a better option than Maurer or shrout. I do think shrout should have played more tho.
Shrout's a mystery. He seems to have all the tools physically. Pruitt seemed pretty frustrated with his inability to manage the O.

If Cade Mays is approved, this may be one of the best O-lines we’ve had in as far back as I can remember.

I’m not a “start the true freshman” kind of guy, but if ever there was a year, it’s 2020 when we can protect him.

JG has the experience and we know at the very least what he brings and he CAN win. anyone else is gonna have to beat him out.
Huh? He will likely leave UT with the dubious distinction of UT's most losing QB ever. He's been a positive difference maker throwing the ball in about 4 games over 3 years.... none of them against UGA, UF, or Bama. UT's "closest" game against any of those teams with JG starting was the 38-12 loss to UGA last year. Granted, that's not all on him but it isn't like he was making a Johnny Football effort surrounded by vastly inferior teammates.

Huh? He will likely leave UT with the dubious distinction of UT's most losing QB ever. He's been a positive difference maker throwing the ball in about 4 games over 3 years.... none of them against UGA, UF, or Bama. UT's "closest" game against any of those teams with JG starting was the 38-12 loss to UGA last year. Granted, that's not all on him but it isn't like he was making a Johnny Football effort surrounded by vastly inferior teammates.
In games he lost it was a team effort but there are games we won on his arm. I didn't say he has won a lot I said he can win with everything else around him in order. CJP has slowly but surely removed a lot of the gaps in our roster. Players are developing. There is less drama.

Simple thing how many games has any other QB on the roster won for UT? 0. Now the sample sizes are not out there for direct comparisons to be fair but my point is JG has won games none of the others has. simple math. We know he can win. We do not KNOW that for anyone else. We know that he is tough as hippo leather because we have seen it. The other guys its all potential. He is high floor low ceiling with the team that CJP has put together and is developing.

This is my opinion you are welcome you express yours and I may not agree but I can't discount what you say. There is room for debate on both sides if we are realistic. but people try to act like JG is a scrub or something. Yeah, he has lost of a lot of games because he played on some of the worst teams in recent UT history. Until last year our Oline was epically bad and we stayed injured across the roster. CJP is fixing that and this is the year that we see JG in a situation where he should be able to succeed. Will he light up scoreboards? Nah But we should only be underdogs in 3 maybe 4 games and should be favored to win 8-9 games. He won't be running for his life and hearing footsteps behind the line we have.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
In games he lost it was a team effort but there are games we won on his arm. I didn't say he has won a lot I said he can win with everything else around him in order. CJP has slowly but surely removed a lot of the gaps in our roster. Players are developing. There is less drama.
What quality win does UT have when he was the critical difference? With JG, UT has an artificial ceiling. That ceiling may be higher than they have with anyone else this fall. Hopefully it isn't.

BUT... if they think one of the others has a higher ceiling then what better situation than a veteran line made up of 4 5* players and a 4* center?

There is never a year when you cannot say that players are developing or that there is risk for drama. That's one of the things I liked both about the QB's and the coaches last year. Not a lot of drama from any of them all things considered.

I think Pruitt is doing an excellent job of building a deep, talented roster. I think QB is one of those gaps that needs to be filled. What we've seen the past 3 years from all has not been good enough.

Simple thing how many games has any other QB on the roster won for UT? 0. Now the sample sizes are not out there for direct comparisons to be fair but my point is JG has won games none of the others has. simple math. We know he can win.
It would be just as fair to say that UT can lose with him... a lot... and to Georgia State.

We do not KNOW that for anyone else.
You never do. We didn't know Manning was going to help win games until he went out there with a 0-0 record.

We know that he is tough as hippo leather because we have seen it.
Yes. But that is less impressive since he brought much of the abuse on himself by not making decisions fast enough.

The other guys its all potential. He is high floor low ceiling with the team that CJP has put together and is developing.
Not as sure about the floor but this is a pretty accurate statement. The other guys are definitely about potential. I hope one of them can develop and start.... or that JG finds a magic potion

This is my opinion you are welcome you express yours and I may not agree but I can't discount what you say. There is room for debate on both sides if we are realistic. but people try to act like JG is a scrub or something. Yeah, he has lost of a lot of games because he played on some of the worst teams in recent UT history. Until last year our Oline was epically bad and we stayed injured across the roster. CJP is fixing that and this is the year that we see JG in a situation where he should be able to succeed. Will he light up scoreboards? Nah But we should only be underdogs in 3 maybe 4 games and should be favored to win 8-9 games. He won't be running for his life and hearing footsteps behind the line we have.
He's not a scrub. He has talent. This time last year I was hitting him pretty hard on a couple of things in addition to his decision making. He had not previously used the middle of the field as much as he needed to and was not good at managing the run game (k-town actually argued the QB didn't have that responsibility). He improved pretty dramatically in both those areas. At times, he made a living in the middle of the field. He apparently thought it was a capital crime to throw to the middle of the field in the previous two years. Management of the run game is what set him apart from the others the most..

He wasn't running for his life last year. UT didn't give up a ton of sacks in spite of him having the slowest average time to throw in the SEC. The OL wasn't his problem last year for sure and less than most think in the previous year. It is hard to protect a QB who holds the ball too long and misses open receivers.

I don't think he's a bad guy. I think he has some of the qualities you want in a QB in massive proportions. On the flip side, I think he has a fatal flaw that is too easy for D's to take advantage of. He doesn't make decisions quickly and instinctively... he has to "think" too much. He doesn't anticipate throws well. These two connected things have been there his whole time at UT. They contributed heavily to the 30 sacks he took in 7 games two years ago.... and they continue to limit his ability to move the O and put D's on their heels.

What quality win does UT have when he was the critical difference? With JG, UT has an artificial ceiling. That ceiling may be higher than they have with anyone else this fall. Hopefully it isn't.

BUT... if they think one of the others has a higher ceiling then what better situation than a veteran line made up of 4 5* players and a 4* center?

There is never a year when you cannot say that players are developing or that there is risk for drama. That's one of the things I liked both about the QB's and the coaches last year. Not a lot of drama from any of them all things considered.

I think Pruitt is doing an excellent job of building a deep, talented roster. I think QB is one of those gaps that needs to be filled. What we've seen the past 3 years from all has not been good enough.

It would be just as fair to say that UT can lose with him... a lot... and to Georgia State.

You never do. We didn't know Manning was going to help win games until he went out there with a 0-0 record.

Yes. But that is less impressive since he brought much of the abuse on himself by not making decisions fast enough.

Not as sure about the floor but this is a pretty accurate statement. The other guys are definitely about potential. I hope one of them can develop and start.... or that JG finds a magic potion

He's not a scrub. He has talent. This time last year I was hitting him pretty hard on a couple of things in addition to his decision making. He had not previously used the middle of the field as much as he needed to and was not good at managing the run game (k-town actually argued the QB didn't have that responsibility). He improved pretty dramatically in both those areas. At times, he made a living in the middle of the field. He apparently thought it was a capital crime to throw to the middle of the field in the previous two years. Management of the run game is what set him apart from the others the most..

He wasn't running for his life last year. UT didn't give up a ton of sacks in spite of him having the slowest average time to throw in the SEC. The OL wasn't his problem last year for sure and less than most think in the previous year. It is hard to protect a QB who holds the ball too long and misses open receivers.

I don't think he's a bad guy. I think he has some of the qualities you want in a QB in massive proportions. On the flip side, I think he has a fatal flaw that is too easy for D's to take advantage of. He doesn't make decisions quickly and instinctively... he has to "think" too much. He doesn't anticipate throws well. These two connected things have been there his whole time at UT. They contributed heavily to the 30 sacks he took in 7 games two years ago.... and they continue to limit his ability to move the O and put D's on their heels.
given what you just said we agree on more things than we disagree on. the things that matter to me you agree about the stuff you don't are things that don't matter to me because they are about perspective. We both agree he's not scrub and that we expected more of him. We also agree that it's not all on him. So given that I accept that your opinion 8is valid and yours and should be respected. You are not really the target audience for my posts because in my experience even if you say something I disagree with it comes from a good place backed by a brain.

I post for the sheep the misguided and the lost. Praying that maybe just maybe they will think for themselves before parroting someone elses' opinion.

If we were to go 9-4 or better this season his record in games played would shoot up to 17-9 or better his last 2 years. That's not bad considering we had 2 terrible rosters, 2 terrible OCs, 2 terrible OLs, 2 terrible DLs, 2 terrible defensive units and 2 terrible seasons running the football his first 2 years. If magic were to strike and the Vols finish 11-2 or better I'm guessing his 2 year record of 19-7 would rate pretty favorably. If he struggles and is replaced early then his record will indeed be one of the worst.

Reactions: lexkyvol and sjt18
If we were to go 9-4 or better this season his record in games played would shoot up to 17-9 or better his last 2 years. That's not bad considering we had 2 terrible rosters, 2 terrible OCs, 2 terrible OLs, 2 terrible DLs, 2 terrible defensive units and 2 terrible seasons running the football his first 2 years. If magic were to strike and the Vols finish 11-2 or better I'm guessing his 2 year record of 19-7 would rate pretty favorably. If he struggles and is replaced early then his record will indeed be one of the worst.
Let's hope I'm wrong and it finally clicks for him this year. An 11-2 season would be a lot of fun wouldn't it?

VN Store

Back