Why is Brandon Johnson always overlooked?

I'm not overlooking Johnson. When i think about our core wide receivers the first four that pop in my head are Callaway, Jennings, Johnson and Palmer. Get the oline straighten out and qb playing consistent football I think Johnson will have his name called quite a bit this season.

Reactions: 1 person
Disagree with this assessment Brandon can run every route in the play book..It just don't make sense he led the team in catches..Had 10 more catches than Callaway and yards ..He deserves a lil more cred..He may not be the fastest but he always open..

You may have answered your own query. He is not particularly fast to send on deep routes all the time. If you have one or two other deep threats that the defense is going to have to focus on you might be able to send him deep and catch the defense off guard, but he is not a receiver you are going to line up against SEC CBs and send on fly routes all game. That is not his strength.
And I already said he gets open a lot (at least on short to medium routes), which is why he makes a great 3rd down possession receiver, or to get you ahead of the chains on 1st down. That is his biggest strength.

Honestly,

If he keeps production up in practice leading up to our first game of this season I don't see Helton/Pruitt saying hey Brandon you aren't going to start..... Pruitt has said it before the best guy is going to play and I don't expect to see Palmer on the field much considering he was missing everything thrown to him in the spring game and shying away from contact. So if Brandon keeps his production up and gets heck even a little bit bigger while maintaining his speed I don't see a reason why he won't be a factor in this offense. (PS at least your nephew is in D1 - something a lot of kids never achieve)

Hey guys.. Im just curious after 2 seasons playing at UT why is Brandon Johnson so overlooked by the media and some of the fan base? Whatever answer u give I want be offended. Im just curious. Give me ur honest assessment. I've been dying to ask this question. Thanks

He just seems to be one of those guys who never really separates himself from all the others. Easy to forget, good player but not great, and has not done anything extraordinary to make him a fan favorite.

p.s. just down the road from ya in Jupiter!

Reactions: 2 people
What would he do with all this cred if he got it? Cash it in for video games?

Gotta agree with your assessment. Palmer drops A LOT of catchable passes. I just don't think he has the skill for the SEC.

Basing it off a lost season where everybody looked bad. I’ll wait.

Butch doesn't Palmer remind you of Justin Hunter.... Just a thought.... (No hands for those who don't know what I'm referring to)

Athletically. Pre-injury, Hunter would go up and GET a pass on you. Alpha stuff.

Athletically. Pre-injury, Hunter would go up and GET a pass on you. Alpha stuff.

Noted. Which I also saw from a lot of our receivers they still don't attack the ball. Like that pass that got tipped (intercepted) from McBride that was a catchable ball and the receiver just waited for it to fall into his hands. ..

Noted. Which I also saw from a lot of our receivers they still don't attack the ball. Like that pass that got tipped (intercepted) from McBride that was a catchable ball and the receiver just waited for it to fall into his hands. ..

Coach Johnson preaches using that hunger. He’s been pretty effective in getting that out of his kids...if it’s in there.

Coach Johnson preaches using that hunger. He’s been pretty effective in getting that out of his kids...if it’s in there.

That is honestly the biggest difference between Callway and Jennings compared to all of the other receivers. Maybe the incoming freshman receiver will provide that ability as well seemed like he attacked the ball in HS.

That is honestly the biggest difference between Callway and Jennings compared to all of the other receivers. Maybe the incoming freshman receiver will provide that ability as well seemed like he attacked the ball in HS.

Yeah those two produced. Even amongst that utter mess last season. Another reason I haven’t been a fan of Byrd at receiver. Are you talking about the kid from Vegas?

He was such a late minute grab that I haven’t really even perused his highlights. Performed in a top program...so that’s a clue.

It has him listed at 6'3 / 205lbs / 4.55 40 time and I don't think he started until his Senior year after he grew 3 inches..... Which it says he posted 700+ yards in that time.

I remember the deep seem route he pulled in against USCe last year which SHOULD have set us up for the go ahead touchdown.

I think he can be a very reliable receiver for us in the coming seasons and is probably good enough to play a couple of years in the NFL. JMO.

VN Store

Back