Why is Brandon Johnson always overlooked?

Hey guys.. Im just curious after 2 seasons playing at UT why is Brandon Johnson so overlooked by the media and some of the fan base? Whatever answer u give I want be offended. Im just curious. Give me ur honest assessment. I've been dying to ask this question. Thanks

Because you don't advertise secret weapons!

Reactions: 1 person
Hey guys.. Im just curious after 2 seasons playing at UT why is Brandon Johnson so overlooked by the media and some of the fan base? Whatever answer u give I want be offended. Im just curious. Give me ur honest assessment. I've been dying to ask this question. Thanks[/QUOT

Usually the dependable ones are the ones that don't get talked about. plus our offense sucked last yr so all anyone remembers are the Hr plays but callaway then Kelly and smith being nasty. I fully expect good things from Brandon in this offense

Brandon seems to be coming on, from all I hear.

I am pretty confident he will do big things this season, and probably be our go-to receiver when we just gotta have that catch made.

Reactions: 2 people
I've often wondered the same thing. He may not be the fastest but all he does is stay open, catch everything thrown at him and move the chains. This group of receivers we have this year is going to be possibly the best we've had since the 90's and is gonna really surprise a lot of people! Book it!

IMO Johnson isn't getting any hype for 2 reasons.

1. Statistically, he's only been impressive in one meaningful game. He had better stats overall than Callaway, but Callaway made splash plays in nationally televised games to make up for the difference. That leads to the next point, which is, IMO the bigger one.

2. Athletically, Johnson is unspectacular.

I think he'll have two good seasons to close out his career at Tennessee and will be a big part of our WR corps. He runs good routes and is one of our most consistent WRs catching the ball. I could see him having one of the better years we've had from a WR in 2019 (if we have consistent OL/QB play). But he's never going to be the best athlete in our WR corps, or our most physical WR, or the guy who can turn a quick slant into 40+ chunk yardage play.

The Butch Jones offense just wasn't kind to receivers. I'm not sure any WR stood out last year, outside Callaway in the GT game. The list of talented receivers whose careers sputtered under Jones is long, so it's not surprising.

Brandon Johnson's time is coming. He just needs that one big game, or even one big play, and he'll be off and running. He has all the tools, and he'll have plenty of opportunities in 2018 in this new offense.

The Butch Jones offense just wasn't kind to receivers. I'm not sure any WR stood out last year, outside Callaway in the GT game. The list of talented receivers whose careers sputtered under Jones is long, so it's not surprising.

Brandon Johnson's time is coming. He just needs that one big game, or even one big play, and he'll be off and running. He has all the tools, and he'll have plenty of opportunities in 2018 in this new offense.

Yep. It also hurts receivers being in an offense where there are not actual routes being ran

Good news is. Helton likes to throw the ball. He’ll get his, I think he’s probably the best wr we have.

No, I’m not related to him.

Everybody made great points..Brandon hasn't had a big game on the big stage..That is the main reason why he is overlooked..To be honest I never looked at it that way..

I don't know how much he's being ignored. Basically, he's our 3rd best receiver so ESPN prob won't cover him daily.

But that being said, if Brandon doesn't let the game winning TD pass from JG slip literally right thru both hands, his star would be somewhat different.

Everybody made great points..Brandon hasn't had a big game on the big stage..That is the main reason why he is overlooked..To be honest I never looked at it that way..

He is the most consistent receiver we have, and has the best hands IMO. He is a textbook possession receiver. That's a good thing. Let Marquez make the splash plays. If Brandon pulls 4 catches or better for 60 to 70 yards a game...that's an 800 yd season. In the SEC. That means 3rd or 4th round NFL draft, shot to be a rich man one day. VOL fans who really know their team are happy with him. He's a good kid that moves the chains. No need to be Randy moss...

Reactions: 3 people

I'm not sure what you're fishing for but Brandon is a solid receiver. Definitely sure handed, good route runner, and is consistent. He's just not a homerun WR and therefore will not get the stardom. Unfortunately, guys like him go under the radar even with great stats. He's a system receiver which would do well for teams like the patriots, saints, chargers but his physical attributes are nothing to rave about. He's ceiling isn't as high as the other receivers but he may have a bigger floor.With that being said, I like Brandon and he has potential to do well, and I hope he is successful in his career.

Noted. Which I also saw from a lot of our receivers they still don't attack the ball. Like that pass that got tipped (intercepted) from McBride that was a catchable ball and the receiver just waited for it to fall into his hands. ..

Catchable? Running full speed with 2-3 defenders on you, and the ball is thrown BEHIND you. Didn’t seem to be receivers fault to me. Learned to hit em in stride when I was 10.

Your nephew Brandon is a really good ball player,one of the most consistant ones on the team. All he needs (like some have said) is that big breakout game against a rival on national tv,something like 10+ catches for over 150 yards and multiple tds.
Believe me,he is not overlooked and is appreciated by us fans that enjoy the game. Good luck to him this season and hopefully he turns everybodies head this year.

At the end of last years USCe game, who had the pass slip thru their hands in the end zone?

Whoever that was would've been a hero as UT would've won that game.

Who was that??

Last edited:
Catchable? Running full speed with 2-3 defenders on you, and the ball is thrown BEHIND you. Didn’t seem to be receivers fault to me. Learned to hit em in stride when I was 10.

He was stopped at that point and watching the ball. Didn't make attempt to jump.

He's better than Palmer thats for sure

Who isn’t?

The 3 best WRs on this roster, by far, are JJ, Callaway and Johnson. If Byrd and Williams and add a little depth then great, especially if Taylor sticks at CB, which, although I wouldn’t have believed it a few weeks back, looks like could be a thing.

2018 Tennessee Orange White Game (Full Video) - YouTube

Go to that link and go to about the 1:28:30 mark and you will see that the receiver just let the defender have the ball.

I just watched it. That pass was so late and so poorly thrown....how in the world is anybody putting that on the WR? He was wide open, he slowed down, practically stopped to come back to and catch the ball, when a DB came across and picked it. I don’t see what you think you see at all.

Don't think he's been overlooked, so much as he didn't emerge as a real threat to late last season. He only had 7 recs for 93 yards his FR season. He got big yards versus UMass and Indiana State early season last year, but really didn't have a huge break-out game till Vandy. He had some good solid performance in the middle of the season, tho (vs SC, vs Mizzou, vs Kentucky).

He's one of the reasons I think the WRs will be much improved this year. He's a much better player than he was 10 months ago. The one thing he still needs to do is have a big game against a top-tier defense.

VN Store

Back