Will Tyler Bray ever get a shot in the NFL?

Brey had a million dollar arm but 10 cent head. Guy with the head, arm, and could run was Josh Dobbs. Think he would get a shot before TB.

Dobbs is behind Nick Foles so I get why he's on the bench. BUT I bet the Steelers wish they hadn't traded him right now.

Bray, on the other hand, is behind Trubiski and Chase Daniel. At the least Trubisky, needs a break to recover. Daniel is obviously not a long term solution and has little value due to age. The 2019 season is lost for Chicago. Why not give Bray a tryout? At the worst, you find out he is not the guy and you cut him. Or he excels, and you have a valuable 27-year-old QB that you can keep or trade.

Reactions: Illinoisvolfan2
Sad?! Just this year he signed a one year $96,000 contract with the bears. That’s not counting what he’s made all these years to sit on the bench, not suffer head trauma or take beatings each week. Sounds like a great deal to me.

My dream job. Well, that right behind being a failed one-and-done HC with a $10 million buyout.

I actually don't like how Tyler Bray was coached. They fully bought into the gun slinger in him. Specifically I'd see play after play where all the receivers went deep and the poor guy didn't have a TE or an outlet receiver to throw to. This doesn't work vs good defenses. Dump offs is what got guys like Joe Montana and eventually Tom Brady into the Hall of Fame. Throw it long and let the UT athletic receivers go for it sounds exciting but you need more than that. I felt sorry for the guy in that respect.

As to whether Butch Jones would have used him correctly I can't say but if not, he should have transferred for his senior yr to a vertical high powered passing offense kinda like Gardner Minshew did. He's been gone 7 yrs. If he'd had one yr as a decent backup, he'd have made his lifetime earnings ($3.5mill) in one yr. This cost him a lot. Could be the difference between being set for life after football vs having to work

Dobbs is behind Nick Foles so I get why he's on the bench. BUT I bet the Steelers wish they hadn't traded him right now.

Bray, on the other hand, is behind Trubiski and Chase Daniel. At the least Trubisky, needs a break to recover. Daniel is obviously not a long term solution and has little value due to age. The 2019 season is lost for Chicago. Why not give Bray a tryout? At the worst, you find out he is not the guy and you cut him. Or he excels, and you have a valuable 27-year-old QB that you can keep or trade.

Actually he's third on the depth chart behind Minshew

Sad to think Tyler Bray thought he was so good that he left school a year early in order to join the NFL.
He's made millions and will probably make close to another million by the time he's finished. Most college "education" these days is education in name only anyway

He's made millions and will probably make close to another million by the time he's finished. Most college "education" these days is education in name only anyway

My point is that he'd have set himself up better for an NFL career if he'd stayed another yr kinda like Gardner Minshew did. I will say he's lucked out incredibly to be able to pull in 7 yrs worth of NFL paychecks only participating in 4 plays and rarely being on the active roster. That's gotta be awfully rare

What would UT's record be right now with TB at QB? 9-3 definitely. 10-2? 11-1?

That is what this team is missing - and has been missing - a QB.

I sure hope the new guy can do it next fall.

What would UT's record be right now with TB at QB? 9-3 definitely. 10-2? 11-1?

That is what this team is missing - and has been missing - a QB.

I sure hope the new guy can do it next fall.
I'd say 10-2. The team right now could have been 9-3 with good coaching and decent QB play..TB probably would have got them to 10 wins. We have the wide receivers and they are terribly underutilized.

Reactions: Illinoisvolfan2
Tyler Bray has been given his shot at the NFL. He is still being paid to give his best shot at the NFL. Practice squad appears to be his peak but that's still better than the vast majority of college football players ever do........and better than many thought he would do.

Did you get to see Tony Robinson? That's the guy I'd pick.
Robinson's arm was just as strong. But from what I remember watching Robinson is that he wasn't as accurate on the long ball as Bray.

But of course Robinson was way better, as he had a lot of other intangibles that Bray doesn't have.

There is that. None of us thought going to class was the highlight of our time at UT but we did what had to in order to get a job. His best chance to make a living in the NFL was to stay in school another yr. Boneheaded move on his part
That makes no sense. A year running read option for Butch Jones would've done nothing for him.

VN Store

Back