Will Tyler Bray ever get a shot in the NFL?

Sad to think Tyler Bray thought he was so good that he left school a year early in order to join the NFL.
I thought it was because he wasn't a fit for Jones' system. In any case, as far as arm talent, arguably the best in the history of the program.

I actually don't like how Tyler Bray was coached. They fully bought into the gun slinger in him. Specifically I'd see play after play where all the receivers went deep and the poor guy didn't have a TE or an outlet receiver to throw to. This doesn't work vs good defenses. Dump offs is what got guys like Joe Montana and eventually Tom Brady into the Hall of Fame. Throw it long and let the UT athletic receivers go for it sounds exciting but you need more than that. I felt sorry for the guy in that respect.

As to whether Butch Jones would have used him correctly I can't say but if not, he should have transferred for his senior yr to a vertical high powered passing offense kinda like Gardner Minshew did. He's been gone 7 yrs. If he'd had one yr as a decent backup, he'd have made his lifetime earnings ($3.5mill) in one yr. This cost him a lot. Could be the difference between being set for life after football vs having to work

Mychal Rivera had 562 yards receiving and 5 touchdowns in his senior season alone from the tight end position... Guess who was throwing to him... Tyler Bray.

Mychal Rivera had 562 yards receiving and 5 touchdowns in his senior season alone from the tight end position... Guess who was throwing to him... Tyler Bray.

Yeah, you're making my point. He averaged 3 catches a game and they weren't dump off passes. There were generally well downfield. That's fine and dandy but all QBs need safety valves too

If you're the Chicago Bears what would it hurt to bring him up from the practice squad and give him a 3 game try out?

Um...hasn't he been around the league for years, starting with the Chiefs? Isn't that not one but several shots? I have nothing against the kid, he had a great arm when he was here.

But I'll never forget that KY game when he made so many of us believe that he just didn't care whether we won or lost that game.

My point is that he'd have set himself up better for an NFL career if he'd stayed another yr kinda like Gardner Minshew did. I will say he's lucked out incredibly to be able to pull in 7 yrs worth of NFL paychecks only participating in 4 plays and rarely being on the active roster. That's gotta be awfully rare

What exactly do you think that 1 year in Butch's pace and space offense was going to do to get Tyler Bray a starting NFL role, that 7 years currently under NFL coaching has not done for him?

Brey had a million dollar arm but 10 cent head. Guy with the head, arm, and could run was Josh Dobbs. Think he would get a shot before TB.

True on all points except Done had nowhere near the cannon of an arm that Bray has. That guy ability to spin a ball is 2nd to none.

My point is that he'd have set himself up better for an NFL career if he'd stayed another yr kinda like Gardner Minshew did. I will say he's lucked out incredibly to be able to pull in 7 yrs worth of NFL paychecks only participating in 4 plays and rarely being on the active roster. That's gotta be awfully rare
SIAP, but he wouldn’t have been eligible. He was part of the exact same mess that cost Maurice Couch his senior season.

Yeah, you're making my point. He averaged 3 catches a game and they weren't dump off passes. There were generally well downfield. That's fine and dandy but all QBs need safety valves too

3600 yards passing and 34 tds in his junior season alone... I think Bray did just fine in Cheney’s offense.

I’m a Bears fan. Trubisky is horrible. I’d like to see TB get a shot. Can’t be much worse.

I'm a packers fan. And I agree with you. The NFC North is, in most years, well deserving of being the black and blue, toughest in the league division to be in. And with the lineup the Bears have put together, it is a shame for you guys to be held up by his poor play. I believe he is the weak link in your chain. And after all those years you all tolerated Jay Cutler? It's almost insulting.

I'm a packers fan. And I agree with you. The NFC North is, in most years, well deserving of being the black and blue, toughest in the league division to be in. And with the lineup the Bears have put together, it is a shame for you guys to be held up by his poor play. I believe he is the weak link in your chain. And after all those years you all tolerated Jay Cutler? It's almost insulting.
I’ve been a Bears fan since 1980 when we moved here. Aside from a few years with Jimmy Mac they have never had a good QB. I agree with you about the weak link. If they would have drafted Mahomes or Watson instead they’d probably be sitting with 1 or 2 losses now.

Robinson's arm was just as strong. But from what I remember watching Robinson is that he wasn't as accurate on the long ball as Bray.

But of course Robinson was way better, as he had a lot of other intangibles that Bray doesn't have.

What a sad loss of a tremendous talent. I understand he is doing well and I sure wish him the best. I bought and have saved a copy of the SI edition with his picture on the cover. Great QB!

The tragedy extends way past Cutler. We haven’t had an established franchise QB since Sid Luckman.

The tragedy extends way past Cutler. We haven’t had an established franchise QB since Sid Luckman.

Cutler >> Trubisky. Bad choice to dump him for that. He had what, one banner year at UNC?

Could have improved over Cutler, but he wasn't so bad as to dump him for Trubisky.

Cutler >> Trubisky. Bad choice to dump him for that. He had what, one banner year at UNC?

Could have improved over Cutler, but he wasn't so bad as to dump him for Trubisky.
He was pretty bad. Unknown was better. Didn’t matter if it was Trubisky or a twig in Lake Michigan...he was done in Chicago. Chicago fans complaining about him being treated unfairly are from the same stock as Israelites wanting to go back to Egypt.

Reactions: 37620VOL
He was pretty bad. Unknown was better. Didn’t matter if it was Trubisky or a twig in Lake Michigan...he was done in Chicago. Chicago fans complaining about him being treated unfairly are from the same stock as Israelites wanting to go back to Egypt.

I always thought he had more than enough talent, and at times was brilliant. Although very erratic week to week. I think he had some attitudinal issues that brought him down with the organization and eroded his effectiveness in the locker room and on the field, and with the locals. Got too big for his britches. Apparently took that with him to Miami and didn't last long. Probably was past his prime to resurrect his career and had baggage at that point.

I always thought he had more than enough talent, and at times was brilliant. Although very erratic week to week. I think he had some attitudinal issues that brought him down with the organization and eroded his effectiveness in the locker room and on the field, and with the locals. Got too big for his britches. Apparently took that with him to Miami and didn't last long. Probably was past his prime to resurrect his career and had baggage at that point.
Empty headed...great arm. Cost him in Denver and with my favorite team. Had endless rope and he used it to pleasure himself. Cheaper to keep Bray around on the practice squad currently.

Empty headed...great arm. Cost him in Denver and with my favorite team. Had endless rope and he used it to pleasure himself. Cheaper to keep Bray around on the practice squad currently.

Definitely a great arm. As good as anyone. You're right about Cutler being empty headed. Good way to put it.

My wife is from Chicago.. has a t shirt that says Cutler makes me drink and one with mitch better have my money

You really think an unpaid year under the tutelage of the great Butch Jones was going to prepare him for success? Dude was smarter than most of us here. He saw his opportunity to avoid that train wreck and make it on an NFL roster. He's probably already made more money than both of us will for the entirety of our lives.

The only loss that I see here is UT missed a year of having a good QB under center. For Tyler, he made the right move IMO.
Speak for yourself and no, he hasn't.

He's been on an NFL roster for years now; he's had his shot and is currently still experiencing it.

VN Store

Back