WNBA discussion thread?

They will take Rickea over Brink because she’s better and if they have any sense, I think they will be good, with 3 top 10 picks that’s an easy fix, and might be able to get some free gamers as well.
Rickea and Brink are very different players, guess it depends on what the Sparks need. Also there's a "local girl" factor with Brink, and the Sparks are supposedly her desired team due to some LA connections.

The Sparks first round picks are 4, 8, and 12. Would be shocked to see RJ fall to 8 or 12 but you never know. Didn't think Jordy would go 9th, but it worked out great for her. Esp this year, the Storm are gonna be tough. Love that for Jewell, Jordy and Mercedes.

Do lottery picks make more rookie salary?

Reactions: chuckiepoo
The Sparks were back for a second visit last night, as were the Mystics. Looks like the Sparks are thinking hard about Rickea w their #4 pick. Widely thought they'll take Brink w their #2 pick. Sparks are definitely a deep rebuild next year, which could put Rickea in a spot like Jordy was in last year. Team will be terrible, but she'll have plenty of opportunity to play. They would have lots of young up and comers like Brink, Rickea, Zia Cooke, and Rae. If Brink and/or Paige stay, as I think one or both are likely to do, it would bump RJ up a notch but I'd be surprised if it bumped her all the way to #2. Will be interesting to see.

Mystics may be either wishful thinking or eyeing a trade with their #6 pick. Especially if some top players stay, RJ will likely be gone by 6, esp w the interst the Sparks have shown. The Sparks also have the #8 pick, but it's hard to see her falling that far.
Lottery picks make more, but marginally so.

If I were Brink, I would absolutely be staying another year to get a free master's degree from Stanford, although I don't know if Stanford allows extra years. I recall several players (Djonai Carrington comes to mind) who wanted to take her COVID year, but was told there were no scholarships available.

Clark IMO is gone. Same with Kamilla. Paige stays. So I think that Rickea at best gets drafted behind these two.

1. Indiana - Clark
2. LA - Cardoso
3. Chicago - they have Marina and Diamond at the wings and Turner/Williams inside. May take Jackson or Edwards, depending on whether they are looking for an upgrade (Edwards over Turner) or depth (Jackson)
4. LA - could easily see Rickea going here, since they aren't particularly proven at the wing. She could easily start.
5. Dallas - could also use her talents. May need to patiently wait for Arike to pass the ball
6. Washington - no EDD Likely praying that Rickea falls this far

Last edited:
If I were Brink, I would absolutely be staying another year to get a free master's degree from Stanford, although I don't know if Stanford allows extra years. I recall several players (Djonai Carrington comes to mind) who wanted to take her COVID year, but was told there were no scholarships available.

Clark IMO is gone. Same with Kamilla. Paige stays. So I think that Rickea at best gets drafted behind these two.

edit: NVM. I didnt keep up with the changes to draft order. Will revise.
Agree, Clark and Kamilla go, Paige stays, and Brink is a toss up, as is Edwards. Would be surprised if Kamilla goes #2 even if Brink stays. No draft analysts have her going that high. I think Edwards stays along w Paige for one more shot at a healthy team, but if not I think she goes before Kamilla. But who knows, maybe the Sparks were there last night to scout Kamilla also.

I'd actually rather see RJ go to the Mystics than the Sparks. They're hollowed out too and she'd have plenty of opportunity to play and I really like Austin, one of my fave WNBA players. I think the Mercury may have scouted RJ at an earlier game. Hate to see her anywhere near DT and the dreaded Sophie, and I think BG needs to retire. But their new coach and management is interesting.

Depending on who stays, I think RJ goes btw 3-6. This will touch off a "she didn't recruit them" debate, but nonetheless it will be Harpers 4th straight first round pick, If I'm not mistaken that's something no one else has ever done. And all four will be around to start camp with Rennia signed to a training camp contract. That's definitely the highlight of Kellie's resume.

Rickea and Brink are very different players, guess it depends on what the Sparks need. Also there's a "local girl" factor with Brink, and the Sparks are supposedly her desired team due to some LA connections.

The Sparks first round picks are 4, 8, and 12. Would be shocked to see RJ fall to 8 or 12 but you never know. Didn't think Jordy would go 9th, but it worked out great for her. Esp this year, the Storm are gonna be tough. Love that for Jewell, Jordy and Mercedes.

Do lottery picks make more rookie salary?
But they need a scorer since Nneka left and that’s Rickea in that spot, jobs are on the line so Brink being a local girl has nothing to do with winning.
Yes lottery picks get more, this is 1st year salaries by pick number.
1-4 $76,535
5-8 $73,439
9-12 $70,344

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Agree, Clark and Kamilla go, Paige stays, and Brink is a toss up, as is Edwards. Would be surprised if Kamilla goes #2 even if Brink stays. No draft analysts have her going that high. I think Edwards stays along w Paige for one more shot at a healthy team, but if not I think she goes before Kamilla. But who knows, maybe the Sparks were there last night to scout Kamilla also.

I'd actually rather see RJ go to the Mystics than the Sparks. They're hollowed out too and she'd have plenty of opportunity to play and I really like Austin, one of my fave WNBA players. I think the Mercury may have scouted RJ at an earlier game. Hate to see her anywhere near DT and the dreaded Sophie, and I think BG needs to retire. But their new coach and management is interesting.

Depending on who stays, I think RJ goes btw 3-6.
I'm looking at it based on team need. LA needs size inside. Kamila will provide it, so that's why I think she's #2. A post unit of her, Azura Stevens and Hamby as a combo forward would be great. They really could use both, but if there was a more urgent need, it would be inside.

I don't think Edwards stays. She'll go home to Canada, play on their national team and start her professional journey.

Mystics could definitely use Rickea, but she's not dropping that low IMO.

Brink being a local girl has nothing to do with winning.
But alot to do with attendance and fan base building. That's the thinking I've seen.
es lottery picks get more, this is 1st year salaries by pick number.
1-4 $76,535
5-8 $73,439
9-12 $70,344
I know that's based on what the league does and doesn't make, but that is completely a joke. Esp if you're trying to live in LA, Seattle, or New York. No wonder they have to go to Timbukto in the off season.

But alot to do with attendance and fan base building. That's the thinking I've seen.

I know that's based on what the league does and doesn't make, but that is completely a joke. Esp if you're trying to live in LA, Seattle, or New York. No wonder they have to go to Timbukto in the off season.
$75k for 5 months is pretty good for a 22 year old.

Winning will pack the arena and that’s what will happen if they draft Rickea, I just don’t think Brink will be good at the next level but that’s just my opinion. As far as pay, this is why I say it’s good for players to self promote themselves and get a following, so the fans will follow them to the next level, some players do and some don’t but this is a way to get more support for the WNBA.

Depending on who stays, I think RJ goes btw 3-6. This will touch off a "she didn't recruit them" debate, but nonetheless it will be Harpers 4th straight first round pick, If I'm not mistaken that's something no one else has ever done. And all four will be around to start camp with Rennia signed to a training camp contract. That's definitely the highlight of Kellie's resume.

Come on, we all know that a really big stork dropped Rickea off at Kellie's door step. Kellie has nothing to do with any players on the roster. I heard that Jewel's car broke down driving through K-Town and she decided it was cheaper to go to school here than get her transmission fixed.

If a player is going to stay in the WNBA, she is training all year round.
Which is what off season jobs overseas are for. Did they really expect not to have to earn a salary during this time?

Sorry, I just have a hard time feeling sympathy for these "hundred thousandaires" who are feeling depressed because their pitiful salaries only allows them to buy Gucci instead of the crocodile skin Birkins.

WNBA needs the younger stars imagine JuJu Watkins being allowed to be draft eligible this year.
The downside is that what happens if she's a bust? No basketball career and no college degree. It's actually good protection for younger players who might not be getting good advice. That's also a risk with the NBA, but at least if they are a lottery pick they will have more than enough money to come up with a plan B. And no, I'm not advocating for the WNBA to bump salaries up to provide the same cushion.

Yeah but do you really want to go to Russia to make money the other 7 months? Your career is probably ten years. You’ve got to save a lot for when your playing career is done. There are only so many announcer positions.
I would think that there are plenty of career opportunities for college-educated adults besides the announcing booth. Plenty of players hang up their sneakers and then start a second career outside of basketball. The WNBA isn't going to able to allow you to retire when your 30.

Which is what off season jobs overseas are for. Did they really expect not to have to earn a salary during this time?

Sorry, I just have a hard time feeling sympathy for these "hundred thousandaires" who are feeling depressed because their pitiful salaries only allows them to buy Gucci instead of the crocodile skin Birkins.

75K, pretax in a major US city does not allow one to live that large. I mean someone earning 75k does not make one a " hundred thousandaire" either.

Nobody is asking you to feel sympathy either, much less have any empathy. God forbid such a thing.

75K, pretax in a major US city does not allow one to live that large. I mean someone earning 75k does not make one a " hundred thousandaire" either.

Nobody is asking you to feel sympathy either, much less have any empathy. God forbid such a thing.
Yup, just like no one felt sympathy for me when I didn't get my business class flight upgrade for my European trip last year: it's called "first world problems" for a reason.

I'm sure recent unemployed college grads living at home and drowning in student dept are playing the world's tiniest violin for the awful injustice towards the WNBA players.

Yup, just like no one felt sympathy for me when I didn't get my business class flight upgrade for my European trip last year: it's called "first world problems" for a reason.

I'm sure recent unemployed college grads living at home and drowning in student dept are playing the world's tiniest violin for the awful injustice towards the WNBA players.

Yeah, I am sure sweat shop laborers in China would love to be unemployed college grads living in their parents middle class homes.

You can always find people who are worse off. That sort of misses the point of the conversation.

I am sorry about your not getting an upgrade. Flying coach to Europe is absolutely brutal. No one should have endure that.

We need a system where there is more equitable treatment among flight passengers.

I hope you have recovered from the trauma.

Yeah, I am sure sweat shop laborers in China would love to be unemployed college grads living in their parents middle class homes.

You can always find people who are worse off. That sort of misses the point of the conversation.

I am sorry about your not getting an upgrade. Flying coach to Europe is absolutely brutal. No one should have endure that.

We need a system where there is more equitable treatment among flight passengers.

I hope you have recovered from the trauma.
Devastating, but I hope to recover soon. Thank you for your prayers.

VN Store

Back