Your Coach Heupel’s First Season Expectations?

What would you say was the biggest red flag that you noticed with each of the last three coaches in their first year?

I cannot remember specifically for each coach, but in a general sense they would call timeouts when unneeded, or miss an opportunity to stop the clock when necessary. There would be basic misalignments or disasters with substitutions. Usually they would make mistakes with the basics and miss opportunities to win especially in year 1 when you need to show promise.

No one is perfect but you can’t mess up basic things over and over. Too much learning on the job has been the MO around here.

What would you like to see in Coach Heupel’s first year to make you feel confident in him being here long term?
I have zero expectations, and I will be prepping my liver accordingly. I’m old and I have learned NOT to expect anything and I’ll never be disappointed.

Reactions: MAD
To have the offense meet his prior accomplishments, by yards, numbers, TDs, etc. Win or lose, but put up decent offensive numbers on opponents that matter.....staying in it for 4 quarters.

Establish an identity......make us and the players believe in something.

Beat Bowling Green, Pitt, Tennessee Tech, South Alabama, and Vandy. (Pitt and Vandy may be tough to win for us.)

Close or win against Kentucky and South Carolina.

The other games are low expectations and likely losses, so even better if we win any of those.

Some here got the wrong understanding of the word "expect" while growing up. I blame your moms.

Most of us probably learned the word when our mom (or less often, dad) said things like, "when I get back from the mailbox, I expect you to have this mess cleaned up."

What they meant, and should have said, was "insist" or "demand" or maybe even "hope." Because if they truly, honestly expected you to get it done, there would be no need for them to tell you that they expected you to get it done. Heh.

As a result of that common mom-mistake, far too many folks think an expectation is synonymous with a hope or a demand. It's not. It's what you truly expect to happen, what you believe will happen, what you think has the greatest chance of happening.

Given that, there are some sizably unrealistic expectations in this thread.

Go Vols!

I'm hoping for bowl eligible and competitive games against our major rivals in the East as well as against Alabama. A victory over USCe is not as important now that Muschamp is gone.

VN Store

Back