Your Coach Heupel’s First Season Expectations?

What would you like to see in Coach Heupel’s first year to make you feel confident in him being here long term?
My expectations are simple...and the same for anyone at this point.

1. Show improvement in coaching...shouldn't be hard. The team should look well coached, developed, and disciplined...even in the face of a talent deficit.
2. Don't get blown out....especially at home. I have confidence in Heupels ability to scheme and score points.
3. Beat those teams you're supposed to, compete with the rest...especially the big 3. Look like you're supposed to be there, and maybe you'll get lucky with one of them.

Do those things and you'll give me enough to cheer for, and hope for the future. I think Heupel may be the guy to do it. He's an out-of-the-box choice. We are no longer going to try to "out-Bama" Bama.

I'll be thrilled with 6-6/ 7-5...and a bowl game if we are allowed. I think it would be a homerun season and an indicator of a staff that knows what they are doing...especially considering all of the adversity. I have been charter member Nega-Vol for the last three regimes, and I have a very different feeling this time around. I don't expect miracles...just slow, but steady improvement until one day we wake up and are back in the conversation.

I want to see the team have fun and enjoy playing together. Develop good chemistry and camaraderie. If they do this the wins will come.. Because they will play loose play hard and play smart. If this happens the team and program will grow.

Reactions: MAD and VFL-82-JP
I expect us to hang 50 points on everyone (including Bama)
I expect us to hold every team (including Bama) to 24 points or less.

If Heupel can do that he will win coach of the year, an SEC championship, and a National Championship. Oh and nice little raise to about $5 mill a year with an extension through 2045.

Last edited:
Reactions: MAD
I expect us to hold every team (inclusing Bama) to 24 points or less.

If Heupel can do that he will win coach of the year, an SEC championship, and a National Championship. Oh and nice little raise to about $5 mill a year with an extension through 2045.

hopes =/= expectations

I expect us to hold every team (inclusing Bama) to 24 points or less.

Don’t forget the first Heisman Trophy winner in UT history

Finding a leader
Talent development
Complete games from start to finish
Recognizing assistants that need to be at Tennessee and pay them accordingly
Winning games he’s suppose to win.
Being competitive in every game
Finding ways to win a game when it matters the most.

And for the love of all things keep a QB in longer than 1 series. Understand they’ll make mistakes and give them opportunities to learn from them.

With competent coaching and this schedule above .500 should be doable.

With CJH (if he is what we hope), we have our best shot at a Heisman winner since PM.

Understanding that when we have a dual threat, a true dual threat, never ever make them a pocket passer.

Develop their passing game but let them use every tool in their Arsenal.

With competent coaching and this schedule above .500 should be doable.

I’ll say gain: if the offense is as fast as reported we will struggle on defense. Accepting this and having patience with the coaches is key to success.

What would you like to see in Coach Heupel’s first year to make you feel confident in him being here long term?

Don't think anything that happens will bring me to that conclusion in year 1. Need to see when the entire program has stabilized a little more. Still too much dynamic happening to draw a conclusion for me.

Ohh and if Tennessee gets boat raced I don’t really care if you can’t find an answer. Don’t under any circumstances: kick a board, make it obvious you have no clue, or and this one is BIG: put the same guy back in that got you in the hole to start with.

You guys have got to stop with all the hype train, and educating the whole about exactly what we have, and how we are going to do it, when we had the advantage in the offseason. If BG whips us i'm done. I don't mean with football, I mean I am going to die.

7-5 or 8-4 season and I'd say he'll do well here. I really like his defensive staff and that will be where he succeeds or fails, near future.

I very much want to enjoy this season, so I'm trying to dismiss any expectations.

Currently, I'm watching & listening for how CJH handles the things he can control, and how his players respond to adversity.

During games, I'll be looking to see if Heupel's offensive and Banks' defensive schemes appear viable against SEC competition. And if so, where their schemes can be defeated by superior athleticism (future recruiting needs). Given our depth issues at some positions, how we perform in the fourth quarter will be its own storyline.

Of course, key injuries at positions like LB could turn this initial season into a weekly coaching challenge, and an exercise in character development for both players and fans.

Over the course of the season, I'll be looking for improvement in execution (fewer penalties, fewer blown plays or coverages, improved efficiency) and how young players are developing (position coaching). If we have some close games, how are players responding to being in that moment and performing under pressure? Are they learning how to win a game?

Beyond all that, I'm mostly watching this season unfold like a 50 million dollar action movie, about which the only thing I know are who the good guys are, and that there are plans for two more sequels.

(And hopefully, more.)

I'd like to have a year where Ty Simpson and players of his caliber talk to their families about TN and if they could've made a different decision.

I'd like for TN to win big this year but I'm realistic. What we need is to create a program that can be back in the conversation as a destination for high level talent.

No red flags. Every coach since Kiffin has shown red flags in year 1 pretty much telling us it’s not going to work.

No red flags. Every coach since Kiffin has shown red flags in year 1 pretty much telling us it’s not going to work.
What would you say was the biggest red flag that you noticed with each of the last three coaches in their first year?

VN Store

Back