Countdown to September 2nd vs UVA. (Top 150 Vols wins)

12 days……

#12 - 14-13 vs #1 LSU (1959)

The ‘59 Vols started 4-1-1, with a victory over #3 Auburn, and were ranked #13 when the #1 ranked defending national champions visited for homecoming.

The Tigers were riding a 19 game winning streak and had All-American Billy Cannon.

The Vols offense struggled all day, but the defense more than held their own. Jim Cartwright intercepted a Tiger pass in the 3rd quarter and returned it 59 yards for the Vols first points. Later in the quarter, Ken Sadler recovered a LSU fumble at the Tiger 30. Four plays later Neyle Sollee scored on a 14 yard run to put UT ahead 14-7.

In the final quarter, LSU scored after Bill Majors fumbled a punt and decided to go for two and the lead. What happened next is etched in Tennessee football history and lore…”The Stop.” Bill Majors, Charley Severance, and Wayne Grubb stopped Billy Cannon inches short of the goal-line, preserving the 14-13 lead.

Still, trailing just 14-13, LSU drove to the Tennessee football 20-yard line with a chance to kick a game-winning field goal. However, in a miracle, Cannon fumbled the ball. The Vols recovered and held on for a shocking 14-13 victory.

The Vols would inexplicably lose the final three games of the season and finish 5-4-1, but giving the #1 ranked team and defending champs their only loss of the season will always be considered one of the greatest wins in UT history. It’s also only one of the two times the Vols have defeated the #1 ranked team.

89417D88-F32A-4B13-898D-A276A549EDD7.png

Not sure……I was 6. :p

I see the answer is already there, but I concur that the south endzone was closed. I sat in the north endzone bleachers (stands, no horseshoe) in the first UT game I attended, an unfortunate loss to bama.

23 days…..

#23- 20-14 vs #4 Ohio State (1996 Citrus Bowl)

A game that ranks in my top 5 games I’ve ever been to……..

After 10-1 regular seasons, disappointed by not winning conference championships, the Vols and Buckeyes faced each other in Orlando. OSU was favored and had the Heisman winner in Eddie George.

It was a rainy day that seemed to favor the Buckeyes ground game. OSU got on the board first with George scoring from two yards out in the first quarter. OSU got into scoring range again in the first and had a fourth and one from the UT 2 yard line. OSU went for it and George was stuffed short.

With 23 seconds left in the half, UT had the ball at their own 31 yard line, and turned what looked to be a run-out-the-clock draw play up the middle into a 69-yard Jay Graham touchdown, tying the game at 7.

The Volunteers took a 14-7 lead when Peyton Manning hit Joey Kent on a 47-yard touchdown pass early in the third quarter. The Buckeyes tied the game on a 32-yard touchdown pass from Hoying to Rickey Dudley early in the fourth quarter, but the Volunteers answered with a 59-yard drive that resulted in a 29-yard field goal from Jeff Hall.

George fumbled on the ensuing possession. On their next one, the Buckeyes moved from their 20 to a fourth and one at midfield with 5 minutes 12 seconds left. OSU decided to go for it. Hoying ran right and pitched the ball toward George, but the ball bounced off the helmet of fullback Matt Calhoun and ended up in the hands of Tennessee safety Tori Noel.

Hall would kick another FG to put UT ahead 20-14, and the Vols defense finished it off, giving UT an 11-1 record and a #2 national ranking.

Jay Graham ran for 154 yards and was named MVP, while Joey Kent had 109 yards receiving.

View attachment 568891

I think it was Bill Duff that stuffed George at the 2 yard line. Biggest play of the game!

11 days……

#11 - 35-28 vs #2 Alabama (1982)

Eleven years. That’s a long losing streak, and it finally ended in 1982.

Through most of the first half, all signs pointed to another Bama victory. A 52 yard touchdown pass from Alan Cockrell kept UTs hopes alive, as the Vols trailed 21-13 at the half.

In the second half, Fuad Reveiz kicked 2 FGs and Cockrell hit Mike Miller on a 39 yard pass (plus a 2 pt conversion) to give UT a 27-21 lead going into the fourth quarter.

Midway through the 4th, tailback Chuck Coleman broke free and scampered 34 yards for a touchdown. Another 2 pt conversion gave UT a 35-21 lead.

Bama quickly marched down and scored, cutting the lead to 7 with 5 minutes left.

Alabama would threaten again in the last 90 seconds. They moved to the Tennessee 17, where quarterback Walter Lewis attempted a pass to Lee Jenkins in the end zone. But defensive back Mike Terry intercepted the pass as it slipped off Jenkins' fingertips. Many in the crowd of 95,500 streamed onto the field to pull down the goal posts.

It is the only UT/Bama game I have ever attended…….and what a day it was.

5A353B3D-06D4-4E1D-B3A1-FB6251197B99.png

11 days……

Through most of the first half, all signs pointed to another Bama victory. A 52 yard touchdown pass from Alan Cockrell kept UTs hopes alive, as the Vols trailed 21-13 at the half.

In the second half, Fuad Reveiz kicked 2 FGs and Cockrell hit Mike Miller on a 39 yard pass (plus a 2 pt conversion) to give UT a 27-21 lead going into the fourth quarter.

Midway through the 4th, tailback Chuck Coleman broke free and scampered 34 yards for a touchdown. Another 2 pt conversion gave UT a 35-21 lead.

Bama quickly marched down and scored, cutting the lead to 7 with 5 minutes left.

Alabama would threaten again in the last 90 seconds. They moved to the Tennessee 17, where quarterback Walter Lewis attempted a pass to Lee Jenkins in the end zone. But defensive back Mike Terry intercepted the pass as it slipped off Jenkins' fingertips. Many in the crowd of 95,500 streamed onto the field to pull down the goal posts.

View attachment 571453
Bet there wasn't a Goal Post Fund back in them days...HAHAHA

What down was it when the pass was intercepted? Any idea? I was thinking they had four chances in the red zone but that might be a dramatized recollection. lol.

What down was it when the pass was intercepted? Any idea? I was thinking they had four chances in the red zone but that might be a dramatized recollection. lol.
Now you've got me rewatching the entire second half. 🤣 Great win!

Reactions: StarRaider
1971-81 corresponds to my years in high school, undergrad and grad school. A lot of depressing 3rd Saturdays in October over those 11 years. I moved to STL to start my career the week of the’82 game. Remember it like it was yesterday. Watched the game at a bar with the STL UT alumni group. What a great time!

11 days……

View attachment 571453

7wl53v.jpg

Peaygolf, thanks for this list. It’s helped push the hands on the clock forward. I’ve looked forward to every post, and it’s sparked spirited debate between my dad and me. Each entry has been illuminating, educational, and enthralling. Thanks for your (very obviously) hard work.

VN Store

Back