Countdown to September 2nd vs UVA. (Top 150 Vols wins)

8 days…….

#8 - 28-24 vs #10 Arkansas (1998)

The Vols had some close calls in 1998, but none were more nerve racking than game 9 in Knoxville vs 8-0 Arkansas.

Rainy conditions made the game less about the plays you made, but the mistakes you committed. Tennessee made a lof of them in the first half. A Travis Stephens fumble in the first quarter helped set up the Razorbacks in good field position, nearly inside the red zone. Quarterback Clint Stoerner capitalized, rolling out to his left, finding receiver Emmanuel Smith in the flat. A Dwayne Goodrich missed tackle helped Smith sprint and dive into the end zone for the first score of the game.

Penalties kept Arkansas drives alive and UT still couldn’t find their offense. Arkansas got the ball back to end the first quarter, and with not a single second off the clock in the second frame, Stoerner found receiver Anthony Lucas streaking down the right sideline matched up against Steve Johnson. Lucas high pointed the ball, Johnson fell and 7 more points were on the board for Arkansas. A 62-yard touchdown pass gave the Razorbacks a 14-0 lead.

Later in the second quarter, UT finally got on the board, a Jeff Hall field goal after the senior missed one earlier in the game. 14-3 Arkansas leads.

Stoerner and the Razorbacks kept their foot on the gas, driving down the field again, rolling out again and finding Anthony Lucas again. 21-3 now, Tennessee trailed with a little more than three minutes in the first half. With enough time for one more drive.

Tee Martin found Jermaine Copeland near midfield, plus a late hit from Arkansas gave Tennessee 15 more yards. With the ball on the 36-yard line and 2:18 left int he half, Martin finds Peerless Price in the right corner of the end zone, one of his best throws of the game. UT cut the lead to 21-10 at the half.

An early UT fumble in the 3rd quarter lead to 3 more points for Arkansas. 24-10

The Vols finally got in sync. on offense, Travis Henry ran and ran and ran the ball and Martin capped off a great drive with a run of his own; four yards into the right corner of the end zone. 24-17

Jeff Hall kicked another FG. 24-20

We arrive in the fourth quarter, a one-score game and Arkansas in a position to make it more. with 7:31 left to go, Stoerner and the Razorbacks have the ball on the Tennessee 13-yard line. The ball is snapped, the quarterback drops back in the pocket and like so many times this season, Al Wilson comes charging through a gap in the offensive line. In a show of sheer will power, determination and strength, Wilson ripped Stoerner down with a one-handed sack, pushing the Razorbacks into a much more difficult field goal situation. An incomplete pass on third down set up Arkansas for a chance to move ahead seven points.

The ball is snapped, the kick is up and - blocked! Deon Grant jumped straight up and slapped the ball in the air. Still 24-20

Possessions go back and forth, neither offense can take advantage. With 3:04 left in the game, still leading, Arkansas is forced to punt. The snap is high! The ball is kicked out of the back of the end zone. It's a safety, Tennessee adds two points, a field goal can win it. 24-22

UT returns the kickoff to mid field, but the Vols fall short on a 4th down play and Arkansas takes over with 1:54 left.

But the rain. The rain forced mistakes all game. Dropped balls, poor throws, missed field goals... and soggy turf. With 1:47 left, Arkansas quarterback Clint Stoerner dropped back, got his legs tangled with an offensive lineman, stumbled and then fumbled the football into the hands of Tennessee defensive lineman Billy Ratliff.

With 1:43 left to go, Tennessee needed to get into field goal range to take a one point lead. Naturally, Travis Henry touches the ball five times. He finishes the game with 197 yards rushing on 32 attempts including a touchdown. It came with less than a minute left. The Vols take a knee on the point after and win.

28-24 Final
Destiny was back in Tennessee’s favor

E07F3835-27DE-4FDE-8A3C-D21C5CFC79A2.png

8 days…….

#8 - 28-24 vs #10 Arkansas (1998)

The Vols had some close calls in 1998, but none were more nerve racking than game 9 in Knoxville vs 8-0 Arkansas.

Rainy conditions made the game less about the plays you made, but the mistakes you committed. Tennessee made a lof of them in the first half. A Travis Stephens fumble in the first quarter helped set up the Razorbacks in good field position, nearly inside the red zone. Quarterback Clint Stoerner capitalized, rolling out to his left, finding receiver Emmanuel Smith in the flat. A Dwayne Goodrich missed tackle helped Smith sprint and dive into the end zone for the first score of the game.

Penalties kept Arkansas drives alive and UT still couldn’t find their offense. Arkansas got the ball back to end the first quarter, and with not a single second off the clock in the second frame, Stoerner found receiver Anthony Lucas streaking down the right sideline matched up against Steve Johnson. Lucas high pointed the ball, Johnson fell and 7 more points were on the board for Arkansas. A 62-yard touchdown pass gave the Razorbacks a 14-0 lead.

Later in the second quarter, UT finally got on the board, a Jeff Hall field goal after the senior missed one earlier in the game. 14-3 Arkansas leads.

Stoerner and the Razorbacks kept their foot on the gas, driving down the field again, rolling out again and finding Anthony Lucas again. 21-3 now, Tennessee trailed with a little more than three minutes in the first half. With enough time for one more drive.

Tee Martin found Jermaine Copeland near midfield, plus a late hit from Arkansas gave Tennessee 15 more yards. With the ball on the 36-yard line and 2:18 left int he half, Martin finds Peerless Price in the right corner of the end zone, one of his best throws of the game. UT cut the lead to 21-10 at the half.

An early UT fumble in the 3rd quarter lead to 3 more points for Arkansas. 24-10

The Vols finally got in sync. on offense, Travis Henry ran and ran and ran the ball and Martin capped off a great drive with a run of his own; four yards into the right corner of the end zone. 24-17

Jeff Hall kicked another FG. 24-20

We arrive in the fourth quarter, a one-score game and Arkansas in a position to make it more. with 7:31 left to go, Stoerner and the Razorbacks have the ball on the Tennessee 13-yard line. The ball is snapped, the quarterback drops back in the pocket and like so many times this season, Al Wilson comes charging through a gap in the offensive line. In a show of sheer will power, determination and strength, Wilson ripped Stoerner down with a one-handed sack, pushing the Razorbacks into a much more difficult field goal situation. An incomplete pass on third down set up Arkansas for a chance to move ahead seven points.

The ball is snapped, the kick is up and - blocked! Deon Grant jumped straight up and slapped the ball in the air. Still 24-20

Possessions go back and forth, neither offense can take advantage. With 3:04 left in the game, still leading, Arkansas is forced to punt. The snap is high! The ball is kicked out of the back of the end zone. It's a safety, Tennessee adds two points, a field goal can win it. 24-22

UT returns the kickoff to mid field, but the Vols fall short on a 4th down play and Arkansas takes over with 1:54 left.

But the rain. The rain forced mistakes all game. Dropped balls, poor throws, missed field goals... and soggy turf. With 1:47 left, Arkansas quarterback Clint Stoerner dropped back, got his legs tangled with an offensive lineman, stumbled and then fumbled the football into the hands of Tennessee defensive lineman Billy Ratliff.

With 1:43 left to go, Tennessee needed to get into field goal range to take a one point lead. Naturally, Travis Henry touches the ball five times. He finishes the game with 197 yards rushing on 32 attempts including a touchdown. It came with less than a minute left. The Vols take a knee on the point after and win.

28-24 Final
Destiny was back in Tennessee’s favor

View attachment 572200
Your write up reminds me of a lot of particulars I had forgotten. That stand at our own 13 yard line in the 4th Q was huge! I should rewatch it.

I'm a night owl..........good thing I'm in CST (Franklin):)

So.... 11:00 PM my time..........But shows up as the next day since the time on VN is EST.

An engineer, a priest, and a doctor are trying to enjoying a round of golf. Ahead of them is a group playing so slowly and inexpertly that in frustration the three ask the greenkeeper for an explanation. “That’s a group of blind firefighters,” they are told. “They lost their sight saving our clubhouse last year, so we let them play for free.”

The priest says, “I will say a prayer for them tonight.”

The doctor says, “Let me ask my ophthalmologist colleagues if anything can be done for them.”

And the engineer says, “Why can’t they play at night?”

7 days……

#7 - 35-7 vs #2 Miami (1986 Sugar Bowl)

8-1-2 Tennessee had won the SEC championship and were playing #2 Miami in New Orleans. Miami had hopes of a National Championship if things worked out. They didn’t.

The heavily favored, and cocky, Hurricanes quickly moved down the field and scored on a Testeverde to Irving TD pass to take a 7-0 lead.

Daryl Dickey -- voted the game's most valuable player -- threw a six-yard touchdown pass to tight end Jeff Smith for a tie late in the first quarter.

Tennessee started confusing Miami on both sides of the ball….throwing to set up the run and blitzing on defense over 70% of the time.

Later in the second quarter, Jeff Powell had runs of 9 yards (plus a 15 yard Miami penalty), 4 yards, and 16 yards to get the ball inside the 10 yard line. From there, Powell ran again, but fumbled the ball into the endzone, where Tim McGee recovered to give UT a 14-7 halftime lead.

Tennessee linebacker Darrin Miller started the second half by sacking Testaverde on second down and forcing third and 16.

When Testaverde tried to avoid the pressure on third down, the Volunteers got him anyway and forced a fumble that Miller recovered at Miami's 31.

Six plays later, Sam Henderson made a one-yard touchdown run for a 21-7 lead with nine minutes left in the third quarter.

After a three-and-out series, Tennessee made it 28-7 on Jeff Powell's 60-yard run up the middle. It was the Volunteers' longest run of the season and the longest run against Miami.

An interception and 68-yard return by Chris White set up Tennessee's last touchdown in the fourth quarter but the embarrassment was already complete.

The Tennessee defense sacked Testaverde seven times and pressured him on almost every passing play. The Volunteers forced him into three fumbles and recovered one, which set up a touchdown. They also intercepted Testaverde three times and his replacement once.

The “Sugar Vols” are a team that will be remembered for eternity in the hearts of those of us who got to witness them.

557D9CC5-4D8D-4987-BBB5-F88214531D29.png

7 days……

#7 - 35-7 vs #2 Miami (1986 Sugar Bowl)

8-1-2 Tennessee had won the SEC championship and were playing #2 Miami in New Orleans. Miami had hopes of a National Championship if things worked out. They didn’t.

The heavily favored, and cocky, Hurricanes quickly moved down the field and scored on a Testeverde to Irving TD pass to take a 7-0 lead.

Daryl Dickey -- voted the game's most valuable player -- threw a six-yard touchdown pass to tight end Jeff Smith for a tie late in the first quarter.

Tennessee started confusing Miami on both sides of the ball….throwing to set up the run and blitzing on defense over 70% of the time.

Later in the second quarter, Jeff Powell had runs of 9 yards (plus a 15 yard Miami penalty), 4 yards, and 16 yards to get the ball inside the 10 yard line. From there, Powell ran again, but fumbled the ball into the endzone, where Tim McGee recovered to give UT a 14-7 halftime lead.

Tennessee linebacker Darrin Miller started the second half by sacking Testaverde on second down and forcing third and 16.

When Testaverde tried to avoid the pressure on third down, the Volunteers got him anyway and forced a fumble that Miller recovered at Miami's 31.

Six plays later, Sam Henderson made a one-yard touchdown run for a 21-7 lead with nine minutes left in the third quarter.

After a three-and-out series, Tennessee made it 28-7 on Jeff Powell's 60-yard run up the middle. It was the Volunteers' longest run of the season and the longest run against Miami.

An interception and 68-yard return by Chris White set up Tennessee's last touchdown in the fourth quarter but the embarrassment was already complete.

The Tennessee defense sacked Testaverde seven times and pressured him on almost every passing play. The Volunteers forced him into three fumbles and recovered one, which set up a touchdown. They also intercepted Testaverde three times and his replacement once.

The “Sugar Vols” are a team that will be remembered for eternity in the hearts of those of us who got to witness them.

View attachment 572411

18 year old UT freshman legally drinking in New Orleans. Good times.

And Bobby Scott bought me a hurricane at Pat O’s.

Great write up, great choice, Peay!

Look at how Powell's long TD develops. Everybody puts a hat on a defender!
Screen Shot 2023-08-26 at 12.41.32 AM.png

I have no idea why this is in black and white. 😂

Powell (at right) leaves Miami's fastest player in the dust as the Vol bench erupts in cheers!
Screen Shot 2023-08-26 at 12.37.17 AM.png

An engineer, a priest, and a doctor are trying to enjoying a round of golf. Ahead of them is a group playing so slowly and inexpertly that in frustration the three ask the greenkeeper for an explanation. “That’s a group of blind firefighters,” they are told. “They lost their sight saving our clubhouse last year, so we let them play for free.”

The priest says, “I will say a prayer for them tonight.”

The doctor says, “Let me ask my ophthalmologist colleagues if anything can be done for them.”

And the engineer says, “Why can’t they play at night?”
I've heard that joke before, but the antagonist was a lawyer as I recall.

I attended the 1986 Sugar Bowl. Orange was everywhere. We were spending freely. Accordingly, every local was very happy to see us in force. The chamber of commerce was ecstatic. Leaving town, I stopped at a little market in Slidel. The middle aged man at the register earnestly wished the Vols continuing success and hoped that we’d return soon and often.

#6 - 38-20 vs #1 Auburn (1985)

Big bad Bo came to town with Sports Illustrated wanting to do a write up on him and his Tigers. “Stop the Presses.” The Vols had other plans.

“Tony Robinson passed for 259 yards and four touchdowns as Tennessee rolled to a 38-20 victory over No. 1-ranked Auburn.”

“Robinson, who had a 39-yard run in a 76-yard scoring drive on Tennessee’s first possession, had two touchdown passes following Auburn turnovers. The other two came in the fourth quarter. He finished with 17 completions in 30 attempts.”

“Tennessee’s defense clamped a lid on the nation’s leading offense, which couldn’t get on track until it trailed, 24-0, going into the final quarter.”

“Charles Wilson scored Tennessee’s first touchdown a three-yard run before Robinson, the nation’s total offense leader, went to work in the air.

Robinson’s first touchdown pass was a 37-yarder to Tim McGee. It came one play after Tennessee’s Fred Bennett forced Auburn quarterback Jeff Burger to pitch poorly behind Jackson, and Terry Brown recovered for Tennessee.”

“Another errant Auburn pitchout, this one by quarterback Bobby Walden, was recovered by the Volunteers’ Bobby Scott at the Tennessee 39. The Volunteers, sparked by freshman Keith Davis’ 24-yard run to the Auburn 16, scored eight plays later on Robinson’s four-yard pass to Vince Cater.”

“Carlos Reveiz kicked a 28-yard field goal to give a 24-0 halftime lead.”

“Robinson’s fourth-quarter touchdown passes went to Joey Clinkscales for 10 yards with 11:28 remaining and to Eric Swanson for 30 yards with 7:06 remaining.”

“The Volunteer defense held Auburn star Bo Jackson to only 80 yards in 17 carries, well below his 247.5 average in the first two games.”

The victory was epic. It’s the last time, and only the second time in school history, that UT has beaten the #1 ranked team in the country.

What followed was a season for the ages. The ‘85 team will go down as one of the most beloved teams in UT history…..and it really started with this victory.

EE2CD7B8-6FE5-470A-99EC-F0952E00B278.png32E516C5-538C-4E9E-B600-9327C286A88B.png

#6 - 38-20 vs #1 Auburn (1985)

Big bad Bo came to town with Sports Illustrated wanting to do a write up on him and his Tigers. “Stop the Presses.” The Vols had other plans.

“Tony Robinson passed for 259 yards and four touchdowns as Tennessee rolled to a 38-20 victory over No. 1-ranked Auburn.”

“Robinson, who had a 39-yard run in a 76-yard scoring drive on Tennessee’s first possession, had two touchdown passes following Auburn turnovers. The other two came in the fourth quarter. He finished with 17 completions in 30 attempts.”

“Tennessee’s defense clamped a lid on the nation’s leading offense, which couldn’t get on track until it trailed, 24-0, going into the final quarter.”

“Charles Wilson scored Tennessee’s first touchdown a three-yard run before Robinson, the nation’s total offense leader, went to work in the air.

Robinson’s first touchdown pass was a 37-yarder to Tim McGee. It came one play after Tennessee’s Fred Bennett forced Auburn quarterback Jeff Burger to pitch poorly behind Jackson, and Terry Brown recovered for Tennessee.”

“Another errant Auburn pitchout, this one by quarterback Bobby Walden, was recovered by the Volunteers’ Bobby Scott at the Tennessee 39. The Volunteers, sparked by freshman Keith Davis’ 24-yard run to the Auburn 16, scored eight plays later on Robinson’s four-yard pass to Vince Cater.”

“Carlos Reveiz kicked a 28-yard field goal to give a 24-0 halftime lead.”

“Robinson’s fourth-quarter touchdown passes went to Joey Clinkscales for 10 yards with 11:28 remaining and to Eric Swanson for 30 yards with 7:06 remaining.”

“The Volunteer defense held Auburn star Bo Jackson to only 80 yards in 17 carries, well below his 247.5 average in the first two games.”

The victory was epic. It’s the last time, and only the second time in school history, that UT has beaten the #1 ranked team in the country.

What followed was a season for the ages. The ‘85 team will go down as one of the most beloved teams in UT history…..and it really started with this victory.

View attachment 572697View attachment 572698

My favorite game I attended live - other than every game I went to with my Dad. Sugar Vols and the '21 BaseVols are my two favorite Vol teams.

Bo knows.

The goal posts that were in the OCI, got free drinks for bringing them there.

Oh, and my avi.

Here is the SI write up.... still love to read it.

https://vault.si.com/vault/1985/10/07/the-vols-had-a-ball

Meanwhile, woe befell Bo. While Jackson had 181 yards in the first quarter of his goosebumpy opener against Southwestern Louisiana, he had just 29 at the same juncture against Tennessee. The Vols' defense, playing somewhere on the outskirts of consciousness, bid Bo hello at every hole, turning Auburn's offense into an I sore. No matter where Bo went on this crisp fall day, he got to see the colors change: green to orange, green to orange.

150 days…..

#150 - 24-18 vs Boston College (1977)

Johnny Majors returned home in 1977 after winning the National Championship at Pitt the season before. Hopes were high that Johnny would return the Vols back to national prominence. In Majors second game as HC, Kelsey Finch scored twice and the Vols defense intercepted four Eagle passes to secure the victory. The return to glory would take longer than expected and there would be bigger wins, but the ground work started with the first win during the Majors era……You Can Come Home Again!

View attachment 554061

It took Johnny a while to bring the Vols back to prominence. During my time at UT the natives were getting very restless as Johnny squandered some amazing talent (Reggie White, Willie Gault, Bill Bates, Mike Cofer, Fuad Reveiz, etc.) in some mediocre seasons.

However, there was also what is still the greatest sporting event I've ever attended, the 35-28 win over #2 Bama on the third Saturday in October 1982, which I really hope was at least one of the top 10 wins in Vol history as I read through the list.

Majors used it for a lot of big games. It got the fans pumped UP!

I can remember saying, "We are going to break out in double orange for [opponent]!"

I still love both of those "new" (now classic) Majors looks.

The hair on my arms still rises when thinking about before the '82 Bama game when the Vols, who had warmed up in the standard home orange/white, ran through the Power T in all orange, just an electrifying moment, only to be topped when Bama fumbled on the first play from scrimmage. To this day I've never heard a stadium that loud.

VN Store

Back