⚽️ Lady Vols Soccer

The Euros is a great tourney--so many good teams.

Lots of complaints these days from coaches and players about a schedule that is too crowded--too many games, not enough rest time. If you are a top European player, you of course have you club team and league games, and then you have the Champions League tourney, which goes on intermittently for months, and you have all the breaks for international play--matches to qualify for the Olympics (now via the Nation's League tourney), AND qualifying matches for the Euro Championship and also World Cup qualifying--and there can be a lot of qualifying matches. And then you have the Olympics, Euros and World Cup themselves. It's a lot of matches and a lot of wear and tear on the bodies.

Thank goodness for the Euros. Since it takes place halfway between WC breaks, we only have to wait 2 years for a big tournament!
I’ve heard talk about changing the WC to every two years, hope it doesn’t happen.
As an Arsenal fan in both men’s and women’s. I find it odd that I’ve started cheering for Man City women. That squad is growing on me and love rooting for Bunny Shaw.

Reactions: brittannica
Definitely a spring perspective is the right context to view the game (except app state is not good and we should have destroyed them).

Played 3-5-2

Only x1 wingback is suited to play the position currently.

X3 backs did fine - Brown with superior passing and field vision and controlled the line like a pro.

Midgley - got to have her. Critical. Rest of midfield and forwards must play at her level. Mitchell nice job today- wins balls in the air

Bottom line: we are not closing the deal in the final third or using open players correctly that can attack or assist on the outside. We always pass into traffic or heavily defended territory, making any net gain almost impossible. And, collectively, the team did not look conditioned enough to play the 3-5-2 for 90 minutes - got to have a extremely fit unit to be successful. Maybe the women weren't taking App State seriously too.

Definetly have the talent- coach has got to give the team a swift kick in the ass and demand excellence and max effort for 90 minutes. Time to motivate and instill confidence. The team can compete, no doubt.

New players coming...in a 3-5-2 formation, doesn't matter where or who the player is, better be fit and focused and have speed. It's a challenging formation to execute.

No injured players or recovering injured players, played (except Klume).
Thanks for sharing your observations.

Definitely a spring perspective is the right context to view the game (except app state is not good and we should have destroyed them).

Played 3-5-2

Only x1 wingback is suited to play the position currently.

X3 backs did fine - Brown with superior passing and field vision and controlled the line like a pro.

Midgley - got to have her. Critical. Rest of midfield and forwards must play at her level. Mitchell nice job today- wins balls in the air

Bottom line: we are not closing the deal in the final third or using open players correctly that can attack or assist on the outside. We always pass into traffic or heavily defended territory, making any net gain almost impossible. And, collectively, the team did not look conditioned enough to play the 3-5-2 for 90 minutes - got to have a extremely fit unit to be successful. Maybe the women weren't taking App State seriously too.

Definetly have the talent- coach has got to give the team a swift kick in the ass and demand excellence and max effort for 90 minutes. Time to motivate and instill confidence. The team can compete, no doubt.

New players coming...in a 3-5-2 formation, doesn't matter where or who the player is, better be fit and focused and have speed. It's a challenging formation to execute.

No injured players or recovering injured players, played (except Klume).

Good stuff--but a few questions for you:

Who were the starters at wingback--and who, in your opinion, is the only wingback suited to properly play the position?

The position, like outside back, demands pace, athleticism and attacking skills. But I agree in one sense: I look at our spring roster and among those whom I've seen play I don't see ANY natural--or potentially good--wingbacks. Maybe Price--but she didn't show much at all in attack last season. I haven't seen Barr but she perhaps could play the position, once fully recovered---depending on what sort of defensive/ball-winning skills she has. As you know, you've got be able to play on both sides of the field---which means you have to defend, challenge the ball, win balls, in addition to getting involved and being good in attack. Don't know if she's suited for back-end work. Challenging position. Haven't seen Klurman play for us in 2 years. She was pretty athletic at club level starting for a good PDA team.

As for those who will arrive in the fall, Michigan transfer Woods would be good going forward--but again, not sure how much defense she's played and how willing she is to defend. Not sure about Bridenstine either--seems better suited to a 4-3-3. To put a true frosh at wingback would be ambitious--it would take a pretty tough and talented freshman.

So: If we don't have the wingbacks for a 3-5-2, we shouldn't play it--duh. We didn't have the wingbacks for it in '22, but Kirt implemented it and stuck with it (all seaon) anyway and never seemed to recognizee the problem. Oh, my --what can be said? It's just my opinion, but our personnel seems better suited to the 4-3-3 or 4-4-2.

Who started up top yesterday? tks.

Reactions: MAD
VFL Nayeli Diaz is starting on the bench.

IMG_6772.jpeg

0-0 first 5 minutes

This link is working, there are several free on YouTube.

Mattern has the potential to be a good/very good player, IMO. She and Greiner should be playing a lot at wide forward in
a 4-3-3. Kirt would be once again making a mistake, IMO, if he plays the 3-5-2 again.

I'm surprised they're playing the U.S.--Canada match. I just turned it on and there's obviously been seriously heavy rain. There's
standing water on the field, and it's clear the teams can't play normally as the ball is not rolling properly, gets slowed by water on the field, plus it's skidding around (as are the players) and taking funny bounces. Absolutely crazy--and an increased risk of players getting hurt.

Reactions: brittannica and MAD
That first goal by the U.S. was absurd. Canada's centerback passed it back to her keeper and the ball hit a big puddle of water and
just stopped, enabling Shaw to dart in and score.

I didn't think that was a penalty by Naeher that resulted in Canada equalizing at the end of OT.

Naeher's PK saves were good but nothing special on two or maybe even three of them. She went the right away on three of the saves--that was the big thing, guessing or reading the shot direction--and all of those kicks by Canda were rather poor as you don't want to hit it waist high and make it easier to stop the ball. Once she started to her right on three of them, the saves were easy.

Dramatic match---luckily no one got hurt on that field.

IMG_6042.jpeg

Huge match today between Chelsea and Bunny City at 2:15pm

The winner to face Arsenal in the final at the end of the months.

You can watch the match for free on the FA Player. Super easy to use, ask if you need help.

IMG_6041.jpeg

ManCity falls behind after futzing around in the back too much. Earlier, Shaw missed a sure goal with a poor header at 5'.

ManCity falls behind after futzing around in the back too much and giving the ball away. Earlier, Shaw missed a sure goal with a poor header at 5'.

Reactions: Lurker
Congratulations to LVFL Hannah Tillett
Sundsvalls DFF is a women's association football-club from Sundsvall, Sweden. SDFF plays in the Elitettan (English: The Elite First) which is the second highest division.
IMG_6830.jpegIMG_6832.jpeg

I don’t know if Knoxville has a USL W team. Last year they got their first WPSL club, I believe a few of ou in coming players were on the team. Did anyone go to any of their matches in 2023. I think they play in west Knoxville somewhere. I remember someone mentioned they supported a USL W team out in Oakland, must be a great way to stay soccer fit before the college season starts. I wonder if it’s encouraged to join a team or if it’s required when you play for a division 1 school?
I found the answer to my question. And it’s a big yes.

VN Store

Back