⚽️ Lady Vols Soccer

Bristol City benches Yanez and then gives up 7 goals to Brighton--a team that's not much above BC in the standings. Poor Shae:
it's looking close to certain that Bristol City will be relegated. That's got to be a massive bummer for her. BC clearly don't invest
enough in personnel to be competitive.

Reactions: MAD
I need to rant. Every other school in the SEC is giving spring game updates on the matches, not Tennessee.
Other SEC schools still put out a yearly media guide for soccer. Tennessee stopped putting them out years ago.
Hell, they even stopped taking the annual team photo.

Reactions: brittannica
1-1. App State scores (idk who) off a defensive miscue. Not surprising since we have a couple transfers on the pitch (Cuneio and Latino) at center back and center mid respectively.

I need to rant. Every other school in the SEC is giving spring game updates on the matches, not Tennessee.
Other SEC schools still put out a yearly media guide for soccer. Tennessee stopped putting them out years ago.
Hell, they even stopped taking the annual team photo.
It’s really disappointing.

1-1. App State scores (idk who) off a defensive miscue. Not surprising since we have a couple transfers on the pitch (Cuneio and Latino) at center back and center mid respectively.

What did Cuneio look like? Could you tell?

Hard to believe we don't take a team photo. That doesn't make any sense. What would be the reasoning?

Hard to believe we don't take a team photo. That doesn't make any sense. What would be the reasoning?
She looked decisive, athletic, and aggressive. She and Sheridan were paired together in the first half, and it worked well with the exception of the single goal. No Sheridan in the second, and I couldn’t tell who replaced her. I think Sheridan is going to be the leader of the back line if she wasn’t already.

We moved to the other side of the pitch, and you could hear more from the players. Mac runs our offense to the extent she was telling players which runs to make, when to push, and when to slow down. Neither Runyon nor Jaida played today so will be interesting to see how Kirt makes that work.

Overall, lots of sharp passing. Latino looked good in the midfield. Nice passing and communication between her and Mac.

Planning to go to the Clemson game in April, and I expect the defense in particular will be more cohesive.

Reactions: MAD and turbovol
She looked decisive, athletic, and aggressive. She and Sheridan were paired together in the first half, and it worked well with the exception of the single goal. No Sheridan in the second, and I couldn’t tell who replaced her. I think Sheridan is going to be the leader of the back line if she wasn’t already.

We moved to the other side of the pitch, and you could hear more from the players. Mac runs our offense to the extent she was telling players which runs to make, when to push, and when to slow down. Neither Runyon nor Jaida played today so will be interesting to see how Kirt makes that work.

Overall, lots of sharp passing. Latino looked good in the midfield. Nice passing and communication between her and Mac.

Planning to go to the Clemson game in April, and I expect the defense in particular will be more cohesive.
Great write up. Thanks for posting.

The Media Guide was available every year through 2011. Brian Pensky’s first year, they were discontinued. Last year, 2023 was the first year there was no team photo.

Assistant coach Marty Baker scouting at the ECNL Florida showcase in Lakeland Florida today.

View attachment 624614

It would be nice if we had an assistant with some real tactical chops. Maybe we do...but I'm a bit skeptical. Baker is a former goalkeper/goalkeeper coach. That is basically Kirt's background. Baker was an assistant at VCU before being hired by UT, but I think he was their keeper coach. Every team needs a keeper coach--but to have two of our four coaches with keeper coaching backgrounds isn't ideal, IMO. In terms of coaching credentials and overall background, Morgan and Edwards probably have the most chops.

Reactions: MAD and brittannica
I don’t know if Knoxville has a USL W team. Last year they got their first WPSL club, I believe a few of ou in coming players were on the team. Did anyone go to any of their matches in 2023. I think they play in west Knoxville somewhere. I remember someone mentioned they supported a USL W team out in Oakland, must be a great way to stay soccer fit before the college season starts. I wonder if it’s encouraged to join a team or if it’s required when you play for a division 1 school?

Daily Beacon

Tennessee soccer loses spring opener to Appalachian State​

Tyler Lutes, Contributor
IMG_6759.jpeg
Jenna Stayart (5) controls the ball during a scrimmage against Appalachian State at Regal Stadium. Sunday, March 3, 2024.
Rondre'a Peebles / Contributor

Tennessee soccer lost the first match of its spring exhibition schedule, falling 2-1 to Appalachian State.

The Lady Vols welcomed new faces to the field today as six new transfers joined the team for the spring season. However, they were unable to make a substantial impact in the game.

The first half started very slowly as both teams were figuring each other out. The Lady Vols dominated possession and had more shots than App State.

Sophomore Jenna Stayart created a few shot opportunities, but they were saved by App State.

Sophomore Macaira Midgley was creative in the midfield, creating numerous chances and pushing the ball downfield. With 16 minutes left in the first half, Midgley had a beautifully timed through ball that found Stayart one-on-one with the goalie with a defender on her back, but Stayart was unable to capitalize on the great pass.

With 11:23 left in the first half, Stayart whipped a cross into the box that connected with freshman Keaton Mitchell, giving the Lady Vols a 1-0 lead.

Quickly after the first goal, the Lady Vols were on the attack again, and Stayart ripped another shot on goal but was denied by the keeper.

App State would respond with two minutes left in the first half as Izzi Wood scored for the Mountaineers, leveling the game at 1-1 right before halftime.

Heading into the locker room tied, the Lady Vols looked to put away App State in the second half.

“We strung some passes together and created some decent chances,” Tennessee head coach Joe Kirt said, “but not good enough in any way on the day.”

The second half started like the first, with both teams playing excellent defense. The Lady Vols still controlled possession and had way more shot attempts than App State.

Freshman Sarah Greiner and Midgley both had great shot attempts that App State goalie Sarah Wommack saved.

With 17 minutes left in the second half, App State’s Marley Kahle scored the goal that would put App State up 2-1.

Five minutes later, the Lady Vols had a header dribble just wide of the net that would have tied the game for the Vols.

With four minutes left in the game, the Lady Vols had what seemed to be an open cross with an open net but the App State goalie was able to block the pass before it could reach the intended target.

The Lady Vols continued to dominate possession and had a few more shot attempts, but were unable to find the equalizer.

Kirt felt that his team was still searching for an identity during preseason play.

“For us, it’s a little bit of a wake-up call of what are we going to be about,” Kirt said. “Are we going to be about the pretty team that can knock the ball around and create some chances, or are we going to be about that gets stuff done when it counts?”

The Lady Vols will be back in action on March 23 as they head to Huntsville, Alabama to take on the Alabama Crimson Tide. The match will be crucial as Tennessee continues to prepare for the regular season.

Daily Beacon

Tennessee soccer loses spring opener to Appalachian State​

Tyler Lutes, Contributor
View attachment 624640
Jenna Stayart (5) controls the ball during a scrimmage against Appalachian State at Regal Stadium. Sunday, March 3, 2024.
Rondre'a Peebles / Contributor

Tennessee soccer lost the first match of its spring exhibition schedule, falling 2-1 to Appalachian State.

The Lady Vols welcomed new faces to the field today as six new transfers joined the team for the spring season. However, they were unable to make a substantial impact in the game.

The first half started very slowly as both teams were figuring each other out. The Lady Vols dominated possession and had more shots than App State.

Sophomore Jenna Stayart created a few shot opportunities, but they were saved by App State.

Sophomore Macaira Midgley was creative in the midfield, creating numerous chances and pushing the ball downfield. With 16 minutes left in the first half, Midgley had a beautifully timed through ball that found Stayart one-on-one with the goalie with a defender on her back, but Stayart was unable to capitalize on the great pass.

With 11:23 left in the first half, Stayart whipped a cross into the box that connected with freshman Keaton Mitchell, giving the Lady Vols a 1-0 lead.

Quickly after the first goal, the Lady Vols were on the attack again, and Stayart ripped another shot on goal but was denied by the keeper.

App State would respond with two minutes left in the first half as Izzi Wood scored for the Mountaineers, leveling the game at 1-1 right before halftime.

Heading into the locker room tied, the Lady Vols looked to put away App State in the second half.

“We strung some passes together and created some decent chances,” Tennessee head coach Joe Kirt said, “but not good enough in any way on the day.”

The second half started like the first, with both teams playing excellent defense. The Lady Vols still controlled possession and had way more shot attempts than App State.

Freshman Sarah Greiner and Midgley both had great shot attempts that App State goalie Sarah Wommack saved.

With 17 minutes left in the second half, App State’s Marley Kahle scored the goal that would put App State up 2-1.

Five minutes later, the Lady Vols had a header dribble just wide of the net that would have tied the game for the Vols.

With four minutes left in the game, the Lady Vols had what seemed to be an open cross with an open net but the App State goalie was able to block the pass before it could reach the intended target.

The Lady Vols continued to dominate possession and had a few more shot attempts, but were unable to find the equalizer.

Kirt felt that his team was still searching for an identity during preseason play.

“For us, it’s a little bit of a wake-up call of what are we going to be about,” Kirt said. “Are we going to be about the pretty team that can knock the ball around and create some chances, or are we going to be about that gets stuff done when it counts?”

The Lady Vols will be back in action on March 23 as they head to Huntsville, Alabama to take on the Alabama Crimson Tide. The match will be crucial as Tennessee continues to prepare for the regular season.

Decent write-up. More than I expected. All I can take away from this, really, is two things: We probably shouldn't be giving up 2 goals to App State, even in a spring game, and that we didn't do a good enough job of placing shots and finishing chances. But spring games are for playing a lot of players, trying different things....Kirt needs to get it together this year but is still showing a tendency to blame the players.

Concacaf is, overall, a terrible grouping. The U.S. and Canada are the only two serious, top-level federations/teams in the group. Then Mexico, which is not all that good, and after that a bunch of tiny countries in central America and the Caribbean that cannot compete. So what is this tournament--a competition among teams from Concacaf and Conmebol?
You predicted all the teams correctly

You predicted all the teams correctly

Mexico is much improved; heck, they beat the U.S. and beat Paraguay today and are in the Semis, to face Brazil. I thought Colombia might be more competitive with the U.S., but it gave up 3 first-half goals and the USWNT cruised to victory. The U.S.--Canada match on Wednesday will be worth watching. Making this a combined Concacaf and Conmebol tourney was a good idea--adds some better South American teams. Not sure how long this tourney has been in existence--probably for a while--but this is the first time I've even loosely followed it--owing to Marcano and PR. I'm otherwise very Euro-centric, I must admit.

Reactions: brittannica and MAD
Mexico is much improved; heck, they beat the U.S. and beat Paraguay today and are in the Semis, to face Brazil. I thought Colombia might be more competitive with the U.S., but it gave up 3 first-half goals and the USWNT cruised to victory. The U.S.--Canada match on Wednesday will be worth watching. Making this a combined Concacaf and Conmebol tourney was a good idea--adds some better South American teams. Not sure how long this tourney has been in existence--probably for a while--but this is the first time I've even loosely followed it--owing to Marcano and PR. I'm otherwise very Euro-centric, I must admit.
This actually is the first year for the women’s gold cup.

The biggest threat to the US dominating soccer has to be playing in a weak Concacaf. At this point I’d say it’s more difficult to win the Euros than the World Cup or the Olympics.

This actually is the first year for the women’s gold cup.

The biggest threat to the US dominating soccer has to be playing in a weak Concacaf. At this point I’d say it’s more difficult to win the Euros than the World Cup or the Olympics.

The Euros is a great tourney--so many good teams.

Lots of complaints these days from coaches and players about a schedule that is too crowded--too many games, not enough rest time. If you are a top European player, you of course have you club team and league games, and then you have the Champions League tourney, which goes on intermittently for months, and you have all the breaks for international play--matches to qualify for the Olympics (now via the Nation's League tourney), AND qualifying matches for the Euro Championship and also World Cup qualifying--and there can be a lot of qualifying matches. And then you have the Olympics, Euros and World Cup themselves. It's a lot of matches and a lot of wear and tear on the bodies.

Thank goodness for the Euros. Since it takes place halfway between WC breaks, we only have to wait 2 years for a big tournament!

Decent write-up. More than I expected. All I can take away from this, really, is two things: We probably shouldn't be giving up 2 goals to App State, even in a spring game, and that we didn't do a good enough job of placing shots and finishing chances. But spring games are for playing a lot of players, trying different things....Kirt needs to get it together this year but is still showing a tendency to blame the players.
Definitely a spring perspective is the right context to view the game (except app state is not good and we should have destroyed them).

Played 3-5-2

Only x1 wingback is suited to play the position currently.

X3 backs did fine - Brown with superior passing and field vision and controlled the line like a pro.

Midgley - got to have her. Critical. Rest of midfield and forwards must play at her level. Mitchell nice job today- wins balls in the air

Bottom line: we are not closing the deal in the final third or using open players correctly that can attack or assist on the outside. We always pass into traffic or heavily defended territory, making any net gain almost impossible. And, collectively, the team did not look conditioned enough to play the 3-5-2 for 90 minutes - got to have a extremely fit unit to be successful. Maybe the women weren't taking App State seriously too.

Definetly have the talent- coach has got to give the team a swift kick in the ass and demand excellence and max effort for 90 minutes. Time to motivate and instill confidence. The team can compete, no doubt.

New players coming...in a 3-5-2 formation, doesn't matter where or who the player is, better be fit and focused and have speed. It's a challenging formation to execute.

No injured players or recovering injured players, played (except Klume).

VN Store

Back