⚽️ Lady Vols Soccer

Ha: I just watched the highlights of Angel City vs. Racing Louisville. Two minutes into the game, an Angel City player scythes down
a RL player in the box--penalty kick. The camera zooms in on the Angel City offender, getting up off the ground after committing the foul...
and it was Vignola. I couldn't believe it. Not the way you want your first start to start. And I think she and the AC back four struggled in the first
half, as RL scored a second goal--though the AC midfield probably was part of the problem as well.

RL dominated the first half, 2-0, but AC dominated the second and scored twice late to grab the tie. Vignola, earlyish in the 2nd half, had a goal scoring
opportunity when a cross into the box came to her, she headed it down decently but too much straight down, and the ball bounced to the RL keeper. She was replaced at some point in the 2nd half.

I think Vignola has the potential to be a good player--she is athletic, good build, and is skilled--but she needs to get some NWSL experience. That was somewhat evident just watching highlights. She made a big jump up in class coming from the Icelandic league to the NWSL, didn't play at all last year but impressed enough in training camp, I presume, to stay on the roster. It's too bad she gave up a goal in her first game, and it wouldn't surprise me if she's back on the sidelines next game. I hope not. We'll see. She needs playing time, obviously.

It was good to see Auburn give today's match a little write-up--but no real details save for the bit about their goal.

I think by the end of this coming season we'll know whether Kirt has got IT or not. On the evidence of last season--when we had a squad
that should have excelled but did not, and when Kirt shockingly made few tactical and personnel changes despite an obvious falloff in team
performance--I'm frankly less than optimistic. But I still have time to change my frame of mind!

It may not be easy to be good, given that we lost three of our best players (two to transfer), but this team should still have quite a bit of talent--especially if the German defender we signed shows up in KTown. She looks like a good player, and we badly need her to enroll in school. If she does, I'll be surprised if she's not a starter. And there are three transfers coming in the fall as well--including two midfielders and a forward. I think that the incoming GS transfer from Boston College is likely to start. Simmonds will be an upgrade. In soccer, perhaps more than any other sport, getting the right players in the right positions, when you've got 25-30 players to choose from, is paramount. And so is having the tactical nous to adjust when needed. Good decision-making at the top--we need it.

Wow: Fun to see some action. Eskin--totally under-utlized last year--and Fusco looking good. Still struggling to turn attacking pressure into goals. At 2:00 mark, late in this clilp, Eskin has got the ball on the right wing, is double teamed--and there is no other Vol attacker even close to her. She's got no help. Should be overloading that side of the field with at least one mid. We're need to find the right players and the right tactics to get the ball in the net.

Reactions: chuckiepoo and MAD
I don't think she's a soccer recruit. The school tweeted out photos of all its senior soccer players, and there
is a specific mention with at least four other Heritage soccer seniors that they will be playing soccer for a particular college (one
at Iowa State, one at Va. Tech, one at Cincinnati, etc.). and there is no mention of Wilson playing soccer for UT. It just says
she'll be attending UT. Also, if she were a Vol recruit, UT soccer would make some sort of announcement, which they haven't done.
So I'm guessing she's not a recruit.

Reactions: chuckiepoo and MAD
Haven't heard a peep about how this match went. I'm thinking there might have been at least a sentence if we'd won
the match, and haven't seen a word. I always know when we've lost the Doubles point in Tennis, or a Tennis match, when there
is no Tweet for a while. When we win or are doing well, there are Tweets; when we are not doing well or have lost, the line goes dead
for a time until the confirming sad news is finally and succinctly announced.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Haven't heard a peep about how this match went. I'm thinking there might have been at least a sentence if we'd won
the match, and haven't seen a word. I always know when we've lost the Doubles point in Tennis, or a Tennis match, when there
is no Tweet for a while. When we win or are doing well, there are Tweets; when we are not doing well or have lost, the line goes dead
for a time until the confirming sad news is finally and succinctly announced.
This is the only thing I could scrounge up.

IMG_4983.jpeg

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Excited for Yanez: An excellent keeper, strong leader who's had a few good years with the English B league and deserved
to move up in class. Her only possible negative is that she's not as tall as most of the keepers at major clubs, but she's a very good
shot-stopper. She was a big part of UT's success for a 3+ years.

Ole Miss soccer coach Matt Mott is gone: Oklahoma has hired him as its new coach. Mott did a good job in his 13 seasons with
the Rebels. They've had a solid program--not great, but quite competitive. I'm sure OU offered Mott has sizeable increase in salary to lure him away from Oxford. I think the portal opens again tomorrow, and some Ole Miss players might be thinking about entering it. I can't imagine the Vols taking
any more transfers as we've got 26 players on the roster currently and another 8 scheduled to join in August (five incoming freshmen and three transfers). That will give us a very big roster--too big, really.

VN Store

Back