⚽️ Lady Vols Soccer

Excited about Boggs and Smith--two players with lots of potential. The forward commitment from Virginia has some impressive tape.

I made a contribution to the Soccer Excellence Fund today--along with another to my academic department at UT. I figured as much as I blather about the soccer team, I've got to step up with a contribution. Have no idea what the money is used for.

Reactions: chuckiepoo and MAD
Excited about Boggs and Smith--two players with lots of potential. The forward commitment from Virginia has some impressive tape.

I made a contribution to the Soccer Excellence Fund today--along with another to my academic department at UT. I figured as much as I blather about the soccer team, I've got to step up with a contribution. Have no idea what the money is used for.
I have contributed to the Soccer fund every year as well.

I copied the following from data expert CP Thomas on a college soccer board:

New

Here are some interesting facts about what it has taken historically to win the Tournament: These are for all games played through the course of the season including the NCAA Tournament. They are the outside limit for teams that have won the Championship:

Highest average goals against: 0.74
Lowest average goals for: 1.88
Lowest average goal differential: 1.36

That first, defensive stat is our foremost problem.

Reactions: MAD
Lady Vols Associate Head Coach John Morgan

Looks like a solid recruiting class. I think Bluette is the only commit who has yet to sign. The class doesn't have any five-star talent like a Huff or Bunny Shaw, but it's a good mix. There are two four-stars in Smith and Skylar Miller--both midfielders. Mattern is a very speedy, athletic forward who, like the Miller twins, played for ECNL club Richmond United--she's got some impressive tape. Boggs looks a very promising defender from northern Virginia--was invited to a U.S. national team camp, and has some eye-catching tape. We need good, athletic defenders. I'd forgotten about Davis--who apparently played centerback for FC Dallas, one of the top ECNL programs in the country. Haven't seen any tape. Blue is speedy and athletic and played on a very successful high-school team with Stott---and I think both also have played (still play?) for the Tennessee Soccer Club in the ECNL. I know nothing about Stott. Blue might be a candidate for outside back, maybe.

It's funny to have a second pair of sisters from Richmond United. In 2018 we landed 4-star midfield recruit Paige Franks, and then a year later her sister Claire joined the Vols. They obviously aren't twins, like the Millers---but all four are/were midfielders. Paige Franks, unfortunately, never got to play her natural position and transferred. My sense is that the Miller sisters are strictly mids as well. We should have a LOT of good/potentially good midfielders next year--and we need a least one if not two of the group to emerge as a good defensive mid. Major need--along with centerback. It's hard to predict how most prospects will do until you see them on the field and playing against SEC-level competition. But all in all we should have
quite a lot of talent.

Has anybody heard anything about the Runyon and Hofmann injuries? I haven't--but fervently hope that they aren't more knee problems.

My expectations for the Xavier game and tournament are modest, based on the season we had. Even so, Kirt and the staff really could use a win. We've had two seasons that can only be described as disappointing, and to lose in the first round again--after two first-round tourney losses last year- and another in this year's SEC tourney---would not leave me more brimming with confidence about the future. We need some positive momentum.

Looks like a solid recruiting class. I think Bluette is the only commit who has yet to sign. The class doesn't have any five-star talent like a Huff or Bunny Shaw, but it's a good mix. There are two four-stars in Smith and Skylar Miller--both midfielders. Mattern is a very speedy, athletic forward who, like the Miller twins, played for ECNL club Richmond United--she's got some impressive tape. Boggs looks a very promising defender from northern Virginia--was invited to a U.S. national team camp, and has some eye-catching tape. We need good, athletic defenders. I'd forgotten about Davis--who apparently played centerback for FC Dallas, one of the top ECNL programs in the country. Haven't seen any tape. Blue is speedy and athletic and played on a very successful high-school team with Stott---and I think both also have played (still play?) for the Tennessee Soccer Club in the ECNL. I know nothing about Stott. Blue might be a candidate for outside back, maybe.

It's funny to have a second pair of sisters from Richmond United. In 2018 we landed 4-star midfield recruit Paige Franks, and then a year later her sister Claire joined the Vols. They obviously aren't twins, like the Millers---but all four are/were midfielders. Paige Franks, unfortunately, never got to play her natural position and transferred. My sense is that the Miller sisters are strictly mids as well. We should have a LOT of good/potentially good midfielders next year--and we need a least one if not two of the group to emerge as a good defensive mid. Major need--along with centerback. It's hard to predict how most prospects will do until you see them on the field and playing against SEC-level competition. But all in all we should have
quite a lot of talent.

Has anybody heard anything about the Runyon and Hofmann injuries? I haven't--but fervently hope that they aren't more knee problems.

My expectations for the Xavier game and tournament are modest, based on the season we had. Even so, Kirt and the staff really could use a win. We've had two seasons that can only be described as disappointing, and to lose in the first round again--after two first-round tourney losses last year- and another in this year's SEC tourney---would not leave me more brimming with confidence about the future. We need some positive momentum.
Still two more left to sign.

IMG_4692.jpeg

There's a guy on Big Soccer who's a stat guru and an RPI guru. He thinks the RPI is flawed and should be replaced,, and he's written
the NCAA with suggestions, but I'm not sure if they've considered his changes. It gets complicated--but he just posted that six at-large selections
benefited from the current RPI system and, with a better system, would not have gotten in. There's something called a Balanced RPI, which he thinks is better than the current RPI, but I believe he thinks that is is not ideal either. In any case, his conclusion...

Bottom Line

The bottom line this year is that:

Arizona State, Providence, Tennessee, Texas A&M, James Madison, and LSU benefitted from the current NCAA RPI's defects; and

Virginia, Wake Forest, Northwestern, TCU, Washington, and UCF got hurt by the defects.

In any practical sense, we were pretty damn lucky to get in the tourney. LSU was lucky, too. Not so sure about Texas A&M. We of course lost to both those teams. However, we now have a chance to win and, by doing so, at least put a dent in that idea.

Reactions: chuckiepoo and MAD

Tennessee soccer faces Xavier in NCAA Tournament for 2nd consecutive year​

IMG_4699.jpeg

In the first round of last season’s NCAA tournament, Tennessee soccer lost 4-1 to Xavier in extra time at home.

This year, the Lady Vols (8-6-4, 3-4-3 SEC) head on the road to take on Xavier (14-3-4, 6-0-4 Big East), and Tennessee feels that they owe the Musketeers after how they were eliminated last year.

“We’re all disappointed in that result and especially the last 20 minutes,” Tennessee head coach Joe Kirt said. “There were certainly moments in the game where we could have been better and had chances to win the game and didn’t.”

Xavier’s conference record allowed them to win the Big East regular season championship, but the Musketeers lost to Georgetown in the Big East championship game. Samantha Wiehe and Shelby Sallee each scored seven goals for Xavier this season, leading the team. Neither were part of the Xavier team that came to Knoxville last year.

Even though some of the players are different, Kirt still believes that there is enough consistency for last season’s game to make an impact.

“Their style is the same,” Kirt said. “They’ve got a lot of personnel that are different. A couple of familiar players, but this is a new team in a lot of ways from an individual perspective.”

Tennessee’s last game was on Oct. 29 when they lost to Auburn 2-1. The game came at the end of a run of games in a short time frame, and the longer break after that game has proved valuable.

The break has been especially valuable to Kameron Simmonds, who has used the time to recover from a long season, which included appearances with the Jamaican national team.

“It’s been a long six or seven months for her,” Kirt said. “She’s in a good place now. She’s ready and excited and capable of being dangerous every time she’s on the ball. She’s got some confidence back after scoring a couple goals.”

In their last two games, the Lady Vols have played goalkeeper Ally Zazzara for the full 90 minutes. Zazzara kept a clean sheet against Vanderbilt before allowing two goals in the first-round game against Auburn.

Because of the relative success, Kirt believes that Tennessee will stick with the same plan in goal.

“For right now, I don’t see us making significant changes in what we’re doing and who we are,” Kirt said. “There’s obviously things that we need to tweak, but I think from a personnel standpoint I feel pretty comfortable with what we’ve been doing.”

This is the third consecutive season that the Lady Vols will play in the NCAA tournament but the first time since 2008 that a tournament campaign will begin away from Regal Soccer Stadium. Playing on the road brings unique challenges and is an area where Tennessee has struggled, having only won four of nine games away from home.

However, more important for Tennessee is the factor of revenge. The Lady Vols still remember how last season ended and are looking to respond to last year’s result.

“It’s certainly on our players’ minds and it serves as motivation to step on the field against these guys and give them our best effort and our best approach,” Kirt said. “They’re excited to have the opportunity to play in the NCAA tournament and certainly are going to do everything in their power to make sure that this continues.”

VN Store

Back