⚽️ Tennessee Lady Vols Soccer

Jaida Thomas enters 2024 NWSL Draft, but could return to Tennessee soccer if not selected​

IMG_5784.jpeg
Tennessee soccer forward Jaida Thomas has registered for the 2024 NWSL Draft, a school spokesperson confirmed to Knox News.

The senior from Dallas was Tennessee's returning leading scorer in 2023, playing two games and scoring once before she suffered a season-ending injury. She has 39 career goals, only five from surpassing Kylee Rossi's program record of 43.

Thomas was a second-team All-American as a sophomore and was first-team All-SEC as a junior. She had eight assists, 11 game-winning goals and 86 points in 59 appearances for the Lady Vols.

Thomas has been one of the best forwards in the SEC since arriving at Tennessee. Her 0.68 goals per game as a junior ranked first in the SEC and 12th in the nation. She was a key piece in Tennessee's historic 20-win season in 2021, scoring five goals to lead it to its first SEC Tournament championship since 2008.

The 2024 NWSL Draft will take place Friday (8 p.m. ET, ION) in Anaheim, California. Thomas was listed among the top 10 forwards in the draft by Top Drawer Soccer, and is an intriguing prospect given her leg injury. But she possesses a skill set that would translate to the pro level.

Thomas has the ability and physicality to hold on to the ball as a center forward, but she's also fantastic off the ball in the attacking third. She anticipates the next play and has a great touch from close range, which led to crucial goals in crunch time for Tennessee.

She still has an extra year of eligibility due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and if she goes undrafted, could return to Tennessee.

According to NCAA rules, undrafted players may return to their school and retain their collegiate eligibility if they notify their institution's athletic director within 72 hours following the NWSL Draft.

Thomas has faced season-ending injuries previously in her career, with two ACL tears in high school, the second of which forced her to redshirt her freshman season at UT.

If Thomas does not return, it would be a blow to the Lady Vols, who already lost their top players to the transfer portal. Junior midfielder Jordan Fusco transferred to Penn State and sophomore forward Kameron Simmonds transferred to reigning champion Florida Stateto play for former Tennessee coach Brian Pensky.

It's weird, but if Thomas were to return it would complicate things pretty seriously with Runyon, who started at CF last year, has tons of potential, and would not be happy in a reserve role, I don't think. Knowing Kirt, he would make a pragmatic decision and start Runyon on an outside spot---much as he did Simmonds last year--and we'd see how it works out. It didn't work out too well with Simmonds, but I think Runyon might be a better--maybe--even though CF is her natural position.

I don't even know what Thomas's injury last season was---does anyone? Was it another knee injury or something else? Would Thomas even be ready for an NWSL training camp--which would start sometime next month as the regular season begins in the middle of March. Even if Thomas is not drafted, she could be invited to a camp as a non-drafted player--and probably would be---IF she's healthy. Maybe she is, and that is why she's opted to register for the draft.

What is the source of this story? It would have been nice if the reporter/writer had asked a few more questions and given the reader a bit more specific information about Thomas's injury and recovery--but local stories (I'm guessing this is local) tend not to be very thorough or very good.

Jaida Thomas enters 2024 NWSL Draft, but could return to Tennessee soccer if not selected​

View attachment 608398
Tennessee soccer forward Jaida Thomas has registered for the 2024 NWSL Draft, a school spokesperson confirmed to Knox News.

The senior from Dallas was Tennessee's returning leading scorer in 2023, playing two games and scoring once before she suffered a season-ending injury. She has 39 career goals, only five from surpassing Kylee Rossi's program record of 43.

Thomas was a second-team All-American as a sophomore and was first-team All-SEC as a junior. She had eight assists, 11 game-winning goals and 86 points in 59 appearances for the Lady Vols.

Thomas has been one of the best forwards in the SEC since arriving at Tennessee. Her 0.68 goals per game as a junior ranked first in the SEC and 12th in the nation. She was a key piece in Tennessee's historic 20-win season in 2021, scoring five goals to lead it to its first SEC Tournament championship since 2008.

The 2024 NWSL Draft will take place Friday (8 p.m. ET, ION) in Anaheim, California. Thomas was listed among the top 10 forwards in the draft by Top Drawer Soccer, and is an intriguing prospect given her leg injury. But she possesses a skill set that would translate to the pro level.

Thomas has the ability and physicality to hold on to the ball as a center forward, but she's also fantastic off the ball in the attacking third. She anticipates the next play and has a great touch from close range, which led to crucial goals in crunch time for Tennessee.

She still has an extra year of eligibility due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and if she goes undrafted, could return to Tennessee.

According to NCAA rules, undrafted players may return to their school and retain their collegiate eligibility if they notify their institution's athletic director within 72 hours following the NWSL Draft.

Thomas has faced season-ending injuries previously in her career, with two ACL tears in high school, the second of which forced her to redshirt her freshman season at UT.

If Thomas does not return, it would be a blow to the Lady Vols, who already lost their top players to the transfer portal. Junior midfielder Jordan Fusco transferred to Penn State and sophomore forward Kameron Simmonds transferred to reigning champion Florida Stateto play for former Tennessee coach Brian Pensky.
…isystbs… I see you seeking to build suspense …. Shame, shame you soccer whore..

Reactions: brittannica and MAD
It's weird, but if Thomas were to return it would complicate things pretty seriously with Runyon, who started at CF last year, has tons of potential, and would not be happy in a reserve role, I don't think. Knowing Kirt, he would make a pragmatic decision and start Runyon on an outside spot---much as he did Simmonds last year--and we'd see how it works out. It didn't work out too well with Simmonds, but I think Runyon might be a better--maybe--even though CF is her natural position.

I don't even know what Thomas's injury last season was---does anyone? Was it another knee injury or something else? Would Thomas even be ready for an NWSL training camp--which would start sometime next month as the regular season begins in the middle of March. Even if Thomas is not drafted, she could be invited to a camp as a non-drafted player--and probably would be---IF she's healthy. Maybe she is, and that is why she's opted to register for the draft.

What is the source of this story? It would have been nice if the reporter/writer had asked a few more questions and given the reader a bit more specific information about Thomas's injury and recovery--but local stories (I'm guessing this is local) tend not to be very thorough or very good.
Cora Hall

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Cora Hall
That’s outside her realm of expertise, I’d guess. She’s got an AP poll vote for wcbb. God bless her, but is she sme in both sports? Not that having an AP vote qualifies you as a sme… 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: MAD

Heck, maybe consider moving the new defender from MI up at the wing, keep a fast wing back - x2 wicked fast players on the outside.... strong physical player like Runyon in the center, Midgley directing traffic in the midfield...
Not a fan of large rosters, creates confusion and builds animosity in the 'dug out'.

Bridenstine's signing makes me wonder if Hofmann is leaving, as they play the same right outside back position. Has she opted to return to Germany?
I hope not, but it's possible, as both she and Bridenstine are good players, and you don't typically bring in a transfer at a position where
you already have a good player. That's not to say that Hofmann is C. Rain--she isn't, and has a bit of a pace issue--but she is fairly polished. Or it could be that she won't be recovered from her injury--whatever it was--in time for the season. I couldn't quite figure why we signed Latino--an attacking mid--when we had Fusco--and then learned Fusco was leaving. Could be the same scenario. We'lll see.

I took at peek at a couple of Michigan games to get a sense of Bridenstine and Woods. Bridenstine is actually quite a lot like Hofmann: she is an experienced player who knows how to play outside back. Has a sturdy build, runs well but isn't super fast or super athletic--again, she's no C. Rain--but she, like Hofmann is a polished player. Likes to get forward, intelligent player, good crosser of the ball.

Woods has a slight build--pretty small--but quick and runs well and, by all accounts, is pretty skilled at putting the ball in the net. I watched parts of two Michigan games--one against ND and one against Indiana--and she didn't have many touches in either one. She seemed to be playing attacking mid in the first half against Notre Dame, then center forward in the second half. Notre Dame controlled much of the game--controlled the ball--and I don't think Woods had a single shot in the game. Michigan played hard defensively, got an excellent game from their keeper and stole a 1-0 win against a good ND team last year.

The Indiana game was much the same, except I think it was from two seasons ago. Woods played outside forward, but an Indiana team that was winless in the Big10 actually bossed the game and beat a Michigan team that was mediocre that year. I think Woods has led Michigan in goals the last two years. We'll see how she fares in the SEC.

Hoffman isn't an outside back and doesn't have an injury. Not sure it's fair to compare her to Rain for that reason alone (but, Hoffman is a better passer and has better field vision). Who is Rain again?

The current back line that finished the season is stellar - they are were all national team prospects, ranked high in ECNL play, highly recruited by top teams and have played against many of the current college players - they just simply havnt been given a chance. Truth is, minus some odd mishaps, that line would have had a legit chance to help advance another x2 brackets in the tourney. They held a top scoring team with a Herman Trophy finalists to basically a 0-0 game til the last 2 mins. We need a CB and holding mid. When reviewing games last year it became clearly evident that the CB's, although fighters, continuously lost their shape which caused the line to shift ineffectively and create holes - luckily we had some fast players that compensated for that - mostly. Now, it wasn't the CB fault. Instead, not having a legit holding mid created confusion and man marking was absent. Heck, Brown and Price found themselves split between two offensive players constantly- not a fun way to play the wing back. That scenario I just covered, didn't happen in 2021 - Wrenn French made sure of it. French led the back line with a voice and direction. That did not happen this year - which is why transient players don't build solid teams. Especially on the back line. They aren't part of the infrastructure of progression and cohesiveness required to build a strong defense.

The current players plus the younger transfers and new freshman can perform on the front line easily if they get in synch with Midgley's rhythm (fast, smart and always moving ). Last year we had players that thought their individual footwork would save the day - NOPE! And, at the end of the season we had Fusco who obviously abandoned her teammates mentally. She was disengaged and didn't want to be at Tennessee. Very disappointing to see a player of her caliber not finish her Volunteer career as a leader doing the right thing.

We don't need 5th year covid players and their presence should not be applauded. We have the talent now and have since the 2022 class came on board. Do we really, logically believe that recruiting a player who comes from a totally different system is going make improvements and provide a positive future trajectory for the program by being on campus for only 90 days and then leave? We should be upset by these recruiting decisions. The destruction to morale and team building related to covid players will have negative impact for years to come.

This isn't professional soccer. It is collegiate sports where representing your school is like representing family. That is the mentality that builds solid teams and the wise, courageous coaches know it and practice it. Kirt can do it. But must abandon this 5th year covid nonsense.

Hoffman isn't an outside back and doesn't have an injury. Not sure it's fair to compare her to Rain for that reason alone (but, Hoffman is a better passer and has better field vision). Who is Rain again?

The current back line that finished the season is stellar - they are were all national team prospects, ranked high in ECNL play, highly recruited by top teams and have played against many of the current college players - they just simply havnt been given a chance. Truth is, minus some odd mishaps, that line would have had a legit chance to help advance another x2 brackets in the tourney. They held a top scoring team with a Herman Trophy finalists to basically a 0-0 game til the last 2 mins. We need a CB and holding mid. When reviewing games last year it became clearly evident that the CB's, although fighters, continuously lost their shape which caused the line to shift ineffectively and create holes - luckily we had some fast players that compensated for that - mostly. Now, it wasn't the CB fault. Instead, not having a legit holding mid created confusion and man marking was absent. Heck, Brown and Price found themselves split between two offensive players constantly- not a fun way to play the wing back. That scenario I just covered, didn't happen in 2021 - Wrenn French made sure of it. French led the back line with a voice and direction. That did not happen this year - which is why transient players don't build solid teams. Especially on the back line. They aren't part of the infrastructure of progression and cohesiveness required to build a strong defense.

The current players plus the younger transfers and new freshman can perform on the front line easily if they get in synch with Midgley's rhythm (fast, smart and always moving ). Last year we had players that thought their individual footwork would save the day - NOPE! And, at the end of the season we had Fusco who obviously abandoned her teammates mentally. She was disengaged and didn't want to be at Tennessee. Very disappointing to see a player of her caliber not finish her Volunteer career as a leader doing the right thing.

We don't need 5th year covid players and their presence should not be applauded. We have the talent now and have since the 2022 class came on board. Do we really, logically believe that recruiting a player who comes from a totally different system is going make improvements and provide a positive future trajectory for the program by being on campus for only 90 days and then leave? We should be upset by these recruiting decisions. The destruction to morale and team building related to covid players will have negative impact for years to come.

This isn't professional soccer. It is collegiate sports where representing your school is like representing family. That is the mentality that builds solid teams and the wise, courageous coaches know it and practice it. Kirt can do it. But must abandon this 5th year covid nonsense.
👏👏👏
Post of the day!

The future...! I hope their potential is fueled and flame gets brighter with healthy progression. And, not dismissed by cowardly preference for the covid player. ' Enough already!' .... I hear you 😀🤘.

With due respect, some of your comments seem quite muddled and confusing.

First, Hofmann PLAYED outside back in our 4-3-3 system last year. So I'm not sure what you mean when you say that she "isn't an outside back." Are you suggesting that she shouldn't play outside back--doesn't have the qualities for it? She was the starting right fullback all season until what I assumed was an injury sidelined her. She lacks some speed for that position, which was an issue defensively at times, but she's also got a lot of skills. You are saying she wasn't injured--just benched? How do you know this? I don't know that she was injured--just assumed so because she did suffer a leg problem of some kind in a mid- or late-season game, and we essentially never saw her again after that. Price came in--after Hennessey was benched--and was a decent defender but offered almost nothing in attack. Hofmann is a significantly better player going forward then Price. Her ball skills, soccer knowledge and passing are better. I'm not saying Price doesn't have potential, but she certainly needs to show more in attack. At the end of the season we had Price and Nelson on the right side: We were not going to score goals with those two. Starting Nelson every game was just another crazy dumb decision by Kirt. She had ONE assist in our last 13 games. (And Simmonds had 1 goal in the last 13 goals, fyi.) That is an astounding lack of production.

Which UT defenders are you claiming where national team prospects? I assume you mean youth national team prospects. Renie certainly wasn't. She was a forward prospect when she signed with UT---played forward in high school/club. I don't know about Michel. Other than that, who are you referring to?

At the start of a paragraph you describe our back line play last year as "stellar" and then by the middle of the paragraph claim that they "constantly lost their shape," and by the end of the graph are praising French, from two years earlier, as being much better. You're not making much sense. Michel was our best CB last year--she is good, athletic, physical---but gets rather careless at times. I didn't think Renie was particularly good last year. She was better when in '21--but then our team as a whole was much better. Renie isn't really agile enough to be a good CB. We DID get good leadership from French in '21 on the back line--and that was important---and not sure we had it last year. It would have had to come from Renie. I don't know if it did or not.

I did not notice Fusco being "disengaged" or "abandoning her teammates mentally." A rather bold statement that is not supported by the facts. I of course don't read minds--but I can't remember Fusco ever playing at less than full speed and working hard. She took 64 shots last season--23 more than our next highest shot taker. She scored 3 goals in our last SEC match, against Texas A&M: I think it's quite hard to be disengaged and score 3 goals. All our players should be as disengaged as that. Clearly, by season's end she wasn't entirely happy--and why should she be? The team has regressed since Kirt took over. Why else would a rising senior leave? But I certainly don't think that the team's performance level affected her attitude or play /during/ the season. It didn't look like it. She also got signed by one of the best programs in the country--and they aren't signing a player who was disengaged. If she was unhappy with the coaching, I can't blame her.

You keep complaining about signing 5th-year transfers--and to an extent you have a point. And I KEEP reminding you that if we hadn't signed Lawton and Agresti last year we wouldn't have won even 9 games. Lawton was our best forward, by far! Had we not had Agresti, Kirt would have played Washington all season at holding mid--a player who is NOT good. As it was, he played Washington quite a bit when she arguably shouldn't have played at all. He shouldl have brought in a young player when needing to rest Agresti. We were a pretty decent defensive team by the end of the season thanks in part to Agresti and Price--who, though weak in attack, was solid defensively. While I don't want to take anything away from our effort against Nebraska, I thought that team was rather overrated. You claim we could have gone even farther in the NCAA? We certainly got two breaks--the first was winning the Xavier game despite being completely outplayed and giving up 40 shots. And the second was when UCLA got beat. But we couldn't score goals--that was our big problem. Teams that do well in the NCAA--in all sports--tend to be //experienced.// You are not going to win games playing a lot of inexperienced players, no matter how talented some of them may be. Ideally, you want a mix of experience and talented younger players, as that is the way to maintain a high level of play year to year. If most of your players are veterans, then when they all graduate you're going to experience difficulties. That is why you try for a mix--giving young players with talent some quality minutes so that they can develop without losing the team quality you need to win matches.

Two of our future Vols Reese & Skylar

View attachment 608779

Mattern looks talented and let's hope we see a lot of her and Greiner next season on the wings, along with the veteran Woods. I haven't really seen Miller play: I know that she's not very big, but that doesn't mean much and by all accounts she's got qualities. We should have a good midfield group. Mitchell will only be a soph, and incoming frosh Bella Smith was a four-star mid. We need to get Katz healthy again and playing in the midfield or on the wing (not as a centerback where Kirt put her the season before last). Flammia's older sister, FYI, was a top prospect who now plays for Virginia.

I wonder if Woods was (apparently) slow in signing because she was waiting on her Michigan teammate and friend, Bridenstine, to decide what she wanted to do next season. It's interesting that not long after we learn of Bridenstine's decision to play for the Vols, and she signs, Woods signs.

So now we're waiting on Muriel Kroflin, and she will complete our roster--I think! I think she has rhe potential to be a solid/good defensive mid. Savvy player, efficient, seems to be a talented passer.

Hoffman didn't play outside back prior to tenn. It's not her natural position. Maybe she should have been the right winger!! Or the 6. Definetly got skill!

Katz - did awesome stuff. Is a legacy at Tenn and I was proud to watch her play. Not sure what a 23 year old wants to do with college soccer, but not my prerogative to guess. Might be time to let the new group give it a go so that the future is solid in that position.

The outside backs were told not to make runs. I know you think I'm making this up, but I'm not. Because there were injuries, the coaches had to experiment with some positions. Price was injured for half the year. Coming out of high school, she was known for her outside attack and one of the fastest players coming in to college soccer. Brown is one of the hardest and most accurate strikers at goal from about 25 yards that you will ever see. She'll hit the top right corner over and over.
Lawton is great! And an even better human being.

Good person good player. Not gonna pick on a young woman who needed mentoring, but I am 100% accurate about Fusco. I appreciate her number of missed shots on goal, but she quit on her team in a critical moment. And those that know, know. It hurt our midfield drastically - Midgley was essentially alone. Someone needed to guide her through this moment of discontent- 'they' failed her and ultimately the team.

The film clearly shows how important a 6 is. An unbalanced or deficient 6 totally disrupts the back line. And is why our CB's lost their shape. Not one of our CB talked during games. Ever. Someone please acknowledge how critical this attribute is!!! Goodness. No communication. Poor core shape. No 6. What games are we not watching. This is team dynamics 101. Not their fault and not reflective of what great players they are. As we know, the spine of the field is critical. And our spine was filled with show-offs (dribble dribble dribble - hurry take the picture!), players who didn't want to be there and players played just to keep some silly international pipeline viable.

We have the talent. Our coaches must embrace it, demand excellence, teach excellence and stop trying to bandaid it with guest players. It doesn't work.

This isn't the platform, I get it. But, I will defend the '21-24 players at every turn. The covid player is an anomaly. Real talent is being thrown to the side. Although I appreciate a lot of the insight that I read in this forum, it seems like even some of its members don't know who the class of 2022 and 23 really are. Why? Because the system has failed these players and thrown them, or cast them to the side. These are extremely talented players. And they will yield great outcomes, if given the chance. The fifth year, and a coach who feels desperate and recruits them, is failing the Vol program.

When will the eligibility of Covid players finally end? It seems to be having a negative impact.

VN Store

Back