'14 FL LB Jakob Johnson (UT Signee 2/5/14)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish he was still under the radar with no other offers so we could grey shirt. Good for him wherever he ends up!

The way the calendar falls coaches have essentially 30 days to be on the road recruiting from December 1st till signing day. And with a number of mid-term enrollees committed and on the board the December run is going to be a grind for the head coach as has the opportunity for one in home visit. There will be a lot of miles logged by coaches as Tennessee is expected to make a trip to Germany to see linebacker Jakob Johnson's parents.

-VQ

I think it's safe to say our staff wants this kid to be a Vol.

Reactions: 4 people
They're all over this kid. Good to see us spot an unknown prospect early. Gives me hope that our staff is above average in talent evaluation

Reactions: 2 people
I'm starting to buy into the idea that one of our commits may not qualify academically since the coaches are going after the Germinator so hard.

I'm starting to buy into the idea that one of our commits may not qualify academically since the coaches are going after the Germinator so hard.

I will bet a serious amount of money you are correct. We will sign an uncommitted LB I feel very confident in saying

Listed at 6-foot-4, 240 pounds, Johnson appears to be very fluid and comfortable playing in space. Frankly, he is strikingly similar to Florida State LB commit Kain Daub, both in appearance and stature. One big difference that jumps out at me, however, is Johnson's ability to play in space. Daub, in past years, has shown he is a better player moving straight-ahead, but struggles playing side-to-side a bit. He's a little stiff in the hips, but otherwise an excellent prospect and superb pass-rusher. Johnson, however, does not have this issue. His movements on film are very fluid. And while he isn't the fastest guy in the world on tape, I could still see him being a very effective linebacker at the next level because of the ease of his lateral movement (think Brandon Spikes, if you will).

Now, there will likely be a period of adjustment for Johnson. I don't see him as a guy to step right in and star at the next level. But his upside is through the roof. And if the 6-4, 240 figures check out, he may bring a lot of positional versatility to the table as well, with the potential to possibly grow into a defensive lineman down the road.

Blogger of Intent: An update on Ribault LB Jakob Johnson

Reactions: 1 person
No gray shirt for that kid. The kid is a player. 6-4 and gets to the football fast. Definitely a take if he wants in. I'm really surprised more people haven't offered him, plus he's an early enrollee.

-Fortenberry

Reactions: 1 person
Well...the writing is on the wall for Dews and Bryant being a part of this class IMO.

Certainly seems to look that way - the comments about JJ playing in space have me really excited

a guy with that kind of size and lateral mobility could be really fun to watch

Didn't he just come to the states??

Shocked to hear he is an EE.

the friends I had that were international were considerably ahead of where the US high schools they came to where (I played soccer so knew a few) - a smart kid could have easily tested out of a lot of their state HS requirements

the friends I had that were international were considerably ahead of where the US high schools they came to where (I played soccer so knew a few) - a smart kid could have easily tested out of a lot of their state HS requirements

Thanks for the info.

That's the opposite of what I would have guessed. I would have assumed this kid would be a clearinghouse nightmare trying to get an EE

Would be one of our more impressive pulls IMO. Convincing a kid (and family) that has no bias, and is new to the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back