'17 AL DE LaBryan Ray

Finally met Wells last wk and spoke to a kid who played for him and works at UT. I really like this dude. He has lots of charisma and kids gravitate to him. I jusy hope he can fix the OL issues like Grimm did for the Titans.

Good to hear. He's been mentioned by a lot of recruits. Do you think he replaces Mahoney?

Sounds like he has a great relationship with the staff and players...could be enough!

I have a hard time believing Ray will choose the Vols over Alabama, I just don't see it happening.

Yeah, I tend to say that nothing surprises me in recruiting, but pulling a top player from Bama that Saban is prioritizing would be a big surprise and huge recruiting upset. Hope you and I are wrong, but I'm not getting my hopes at all on this one.

Reactions: 1 person
Butch pulled Trey Smith to Tennessee, and while I know it was an easier sell since he was in-state, he did mention growing up an Alabama fan. Also, we know Saban, Meyer, and other coaches were going after Smith hard. I agree this will be difficult, but maybe the family atmosphere and ability to play early can sway the young man to Tennessee.

I also agree that I have seen very promising things about Wells lately. I was pessimistic about him replacing Mahoney and I still know nothing about his coaching abilities, but the players and recruits seem to really like him.

Hmmm...and I wonder who helped ensure that she got on the staff? If it was Coach Jones, I am sure it was a sneaky tactic that no other coaching staff has thought to use before.

Agreed. Happens everywhere. The ole miss 5 star qb is a great example

If he had any hand in her job... then kudos to him for great strategy. There may come a day when UT can recruit toe to toe with Bama.... but that day isn't today. If Smith's sister helped get him to UT then GOOD.

Couldn't agree more.

I could've worded my initial statement better but it was early and I hadn't had my coffee. Sorry to all the Butch apologists that I appear to have offended.

Couldn't agree more.

I could've worded my initial statement better but it was early and I hadn't had my coffee. Sorry to all the Butch apologists that I appear to have offended.

So wait, when butch and staff land said 5 star, they didn't really land him. But if said 5 star committed elsewhere butch is a complete disaster.

The fact is, we did go toe to toe with Bama and got Trey. I understand the Bama benchmark but every other team in the country falls below that. Even Clemson. Until Clemson does this for 8 more years they aren't Bama. And until Bama stops doing this every year, everyone is chasing them in the SEC.

We all know what butch has done great and what he needs work on. I don't understand why people on here want to find more reasons to be negative about landing a huge 5 star in state offensive lineman that could have gone anywhere.

Reactions: 8 people
Couldn't agree more.

Nobody thinks CBJ is without flaws. It's just our society has a reduced attention span and can no longer delay gratification. Instead of jumping to another unknown, many of us think we should see if the mistakes can be fixed. CBJ is head and shoulders better than what we had. He appears to be learning. If we give him a chance we could have a great coach for a long time. If he doesn't improve this year the haters will likely get their wish but they can't even be patient enough for that. I personally hope he kills it next year and gets a nice long extension. Just so the haters can cry in their sippy cups.

Reactions: 12 people
So wait, when butch and staff land said 5 star, they didn't really land him. But if said 5 star committed elsewhere butch is a complete disaster.

The fact is, we did go toe to toe with Bama and got Trey. I understand the Bama benchmark but every other team in the country falls below that. Even Clemson. Until Clemson does this for 8 more years they aren't Bama. And until Bama stops doing this every year, everyone is chasing them in the SEC.

We all know what butch has done great and what he needs work on. I don't understand why people on here want to find more reasons to be negative about landing a huge 5 star in state offensive lineman that could have gone anywhere.

They twist facts to meet their desired predetermined arguments.

Reactions: 2 people
Nobody thinks CBJ is without flaws. It's just our society has a reduced attention span and can no longer delay gratification. Instead of jumping to another unknown, many of us think we should see if the mistakes can be fixed. CBJ is head and shoulders better than what we had. He appears to be learning. If we give him a chance we could have a great coach for a long time. If he doesn't improve this year the haters will likely get their wish but they can't even be patient enough for that. I personally hope he kills it next year and gets a nice long extension. Just so the haters can cry in their sippy cups.

Well said!

You guys act like I said Butch should be fired for landing Trey...seems like you're backed into a corner and foaming at the mouth to defend him.

Reactions: 1 person
Couldn't agree more.

The backhanded apology. Nice touch.

Common sense doesn't equate to being a Butch apologist. Like I said before, he's provided ample reasons not to like him, or at best, question his methods and ability as a program CEO. Personally, I'm done with excusing his failures as a coach to move this program beyond being average by SEC standards. He needs to take it the next step and learn to keep his mouth shut when his excuses and cheap clichés try to escape it. He's making no friends in the media, both locally and nationally, who see right through his coach speak. He has a chance to move the program forward with solid hires this offseason, but I question whether his ego will allow him to hire the best realistic coaches available.

All that to say, we don't have to manufacture reasons to question him. Your above statement would have been better received if you had just left off your last sentence.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back