2012 Tour de France

Steroids and performance enhancing drugs should be mandatory in the Tour de France. It would make it interesting.

Reactions: 1 person
I casually followed when Lance raced. Now I could care less

I've never watched the TDF, but as I understand it this year will be watered down so guys can compete in the Olympics. There's only a week between the two, I can't imagine many, if any, guys will want to try and pull that off.

So you're saying you used to care some amount, and now you care, just not as much as you used to?

I, on the other hand, couldn't care less about it :)

It's not that I ever cared, but I obviously like seeing America kick a**

I've never watched the TDF, but as I understand it this year will be watered down so guys can compete in the Olympics. There's only a week between the two, I can't imagine many, if any, guys will want to try and pull that off.

Actually, all the top dogs are putting it out there so far.

Anyone know the history behind the tacks?

When I was watching coverage today, they said that sort of thing used to happen back in the 20s and it almost caused organizers to cancel the event for good

I think that's overstated. the longest cycling event in the Olympics is about the same length as a single TDF stage

I'll admit, aside from the Ironman, I don't know of a more grueling sporting event. They say these guys burn ~10,000 calories everyday in a race of close to 1 month

It isn't watered down at all. It's the same race. Get up in the morning, ride from Knoxville to Nashville. Do it every day for three weeks -- except half a dozen times you ride from Oak Ridge to the top of Clingman's Dome instead. The days when they're in the mountains is the about the best sports you'll watch all year.

This is a good time for American partisans to get into it because Tejay van Garderen, an American from Montana who's currently working as a domestique for Cadel Evans, is clearly one of the best young riders in the world, and he's going to be gunning for Tour wins himself in a year or two. Get on the bandwagon early.

It isn't watered down at all. It's the same race. Get up in the morning, ride from Knoxville to Nashville. Do it every day for three weeks -- except half a dozen times you ride from Oak Ridge to the top of Clingman's Dome instead. The days when they're in the mountains is the about the best sports you'll watch all year.

This is a good time for American partisans to get into it because Tejay van Garderen, an American from Montana who's currently working as a domestique for Cadel Evans, is clearly one of the best young riders in the world, and he's going to be gunning for Tour wins himself in a year or two. Get on the bandwagon early.

I love it. Today was a good one. 2 more left.

Teejay is awesome. Failing to stop for Cadel was a little controversial, but w how thing worked out I think it will fly

Teejay is awesome. Failing to stop for Cadel was a little controversial, but w how thing worked out I think it will fly

He clearly screwed up, and I'm sure the knives will be out about it a little bit. But he is also pretty obviously stronger than Evans at this point. BMC is an American team; Evans is 35 and Australian. They need to dump him and build around Tejay going forward.

He clearly screwed up, and I'm sure the knives will be out about it a little bit. But he is also pretty obviously stronger than Evans at this point. BMC is an American team; Evans is 35 and Australian. They need to dump him and build around Tejay going forward.

Absolutely. I understand the team approach and whatnot, but considering where they stand I wasn't upset to see him carry on. It did work out in the end

I miss Andy Schleck. I rooted against him last year, but he was such a stand-up guy when he lost on the final time trial that I was hoping he'd win this year. He impressed the hell out of me, the way he reacted after a brutal loss. Bummer that he's been out this year; without him and Contador (who is pretty much the ultimate villain) this year has been pretty bland from the get-go.

I miss Andy Schleck. I rooted against him last year, but he was such a stand-up guy when he lost on the final time trial that I was hoping he'd win this year. He impressed the hell out of me, the way he reacted after a brutal loss. Bummer that he's been out this year; without him and Contador (who is pretty much the ultimate villain) this year has been pretty bland from the get-go.

Yeah sucks he couldn't make it. I was def cheering against contador. You're right about him being the villain

I'm rooting against Wiggins this year -- because come on, how can any one root for an Englishman named Bradley? -- but I'm sure next year I'll be cheering him on when Contador's back in it. That guy's detestable.

Looking forward to the Vuelta when Contador returns also. I love cheering against that man. Also I am a huge Teejay fan. Another young American rider you need to look out for is Taylor Phinney. He also rides for BMC but didn't get selected for the Tour. Glad to see some other fans post in this thread; been dead.

I don't think it was that controversial. If Teejay stops they lose everyone in the main group, and I am sure both thought another team mate was right there. In the end the sportsmanship showed and they slowed for Evans anyway. Can't wait for Teejay to Become the top dog on whatever team.

VN Store

Back