2021 NBA Season Thread aka The James “Corona Club” Harden Victory Tour

Remember last year when Westbrook was a bottom 10 player for the first 1/3 of the season and a top 10 player for the last 2/3?

I feel like this is accurate for most every year tbh. Good first 2 weeks, horrible December and first week of January, then good till Feb, great in Feb, and really really good in March.

I feel like this is accurate for most every year tbh. Good first 2 weeks, horrible December and first week of January, then good till Feb, great in Feb, and really really good in March.

The difference this time is he hasn't really had a good stretch since having COVID and those nagging injuries. He's getting to the age where most PG's drop off a cliff. Only the most skilled survive their early 30's (Stockton, Kidd, CP3) and that's not him.

Reactions: BadJerry20
That reminds me, great Jason Kidd story from Richard Jefferson...he said when he was at Cal, whichever Arizona guard he was defending, Lute had the other one run point because Kidd could just take the ball away every time. The 2 guards were Stoudemire and Khalid Reeves*

*if you don't remember him, he was an All American and played in the NBA a little

Last edited:
The difference this time is he hasn't really had a good stretch since having COVID and those nagging injuries. He's getting to the age where most PG's drop off a cliff. Only the most skilled survive their early 30's (Stockton, Kidd, CP3) and that's not him.

At this point I think he would be most effective if he became Rondo like with Boston. Cut the attempts to about 12 or 13, play D and get everyone else open shots. The encouraging news is during their stretch he has cut his 3 attempts to around 2 per game. Been playing decent d, and he was only shooting 26% of his shots at the rim for the season, during the stretch it's been around 55%. Problem is he isn't crafty around the rim, and the explosion isn't there, so getting to the rim isn't as useful, and he is broken at the FT line.

Reactions: n_huffhines
Oh yeah, and Scalabrine had the best KG story ever. It was on the Lowe pod.

So the Celtics were an insane group. Everybody was just always trying to out-alpha everybody. They would do stupid ****...even **** that could cause injuries, but it was like if you didn't do it then you didn't fit in with team culture. It was just caveman ****. One example of this was they got super serious with arm-wrestling. Big Baby is just slamming dudes. Even tough dudes like Leon Powe. So KG challenges Big Baby and everybody wants to put $ on Big Baby, nobody's taking. Pierce decides to take $2k from 5 different guys, so he's got $10k on KG. They're about to arm wrestle and KG goes "I noticed you been grabbing the table for leverage. That's cheating." so they enforce the rule for this match and KG beat him. He starts screaming "I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MF!"

That reminds me, great Jason Kidd story from Richard Jefferson...he said when he was at Cal, whichever Arizona guard he was defending, Lute had the other one run point because Kidd could just take the ball away every time. The 2 guards were Stoudemire and Khalid Reeves*

*if you don't remember him, he was an All American and played in the NBA a little

I named my cat after Khalid Reeves when he was there. Lol

Reactions: n_huffhines
Oh yeah, and Scalabrine had the best KG story ever. It was on the Lowe pod.

So the Celtics were an insane group. Everybody was just always trying to out-alpha everybody. They would do stupid ****...even **** that could cause injuries, but it was like if you didn't do it then you didn't fit in with team culture. It was just caveman ****. One example of this was they got super serious with arm-wrestling. Big Baby is just slamming dudes. Even tough dudes like Leon Powe. So KG challenges Big Baby and everybody wants to put $ on Big Baby, nobody's taking. Pierce decides to take $2k from 5 different guys, so he's got $10k on KG. They're about to arm wrestle and KG goes "I noticed you been grabbing the table for leverage. That's cheating." so they enforce the rule for this match and KG beat him. He starts screaming "I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MF!"

So KG stole a Perk saying or did Perk steal a KG saying? Adams told a story of his rookie year, him and Perk were battling for a rebound and Perk turned and screamed in his face, "I am the only silverback guerrilla"

So KG stole a Perk saying or did Perk steal a KG saying? Adams told a story of his rookie year, him and Perk were battling for a rebound and Perk turned and screamed in his face, "I am the only silverback guerrilla"

Who knows. Scalabrine could be conflating memories. I was thinking he stole the line from Training Day and modified it

Btw the biggest reason Washington has been better IMO, is Ish got hurt so no more Russ, Neto, Ish, RoLo, and Bertans lineup. That's the worst possible lineup I can imagine putting on the floor. 3 fast guys with 2 guys that can't move, 3 guys that can't shoot, 3 guys that suck on D, and only a PG to get rebounds.

Reactions: NYCVolunteer
Zion is incredible. I don't think he can be a truly elite player until he either starts playing great D and/or develops a great motor, but the offense is unbelievable. Never seen anybody like this, really. Nobody can stop him. Last year they were giving him the ball in the post and tall teams like the Mavs could just rack up blocks from help defenders, which seemed like a problem...like he had a low offensive ceiling*. The Pels have realized they can just give him the ball on the perimeter and he can get to the rim almost every time. Nobody has figured out how to stop it yet. Dudes are playing off him 5' and more, and he blows right past them. He averaged 27 ppg shooting 65% from the field in February. He's also a pretty good passer, which is part of what makes the dribble drive work so hell. He punishes them for helping.

*reminded me of how Boozer would sputter out in the playoffs against teams with length.

VN Store

Back