2023 NCAA Post Season (HOSTING) Discussion Thread - Merged

Will the Vols make it to NCAA Tournament in 2023

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think baseball is like hockey,home turf really doesn't matter that much like it does in football and basketball, it's the matchups.

Match-ups always matter more, but home field advantage matters in every sport — though sometimes for different reasons in different sports. Of course, the regional host doesn’t get the full benefit of home field advantage in terms of batting second.

Big ask. Not impossible, but it's a tad hard for me to think the team this year can pull it off especially with our road record.

That road record was compiled before this team saw the light. Now that Tennessee has seen the light, there will be no more struggles, road, home, or neutral...just smooth sailing from here on out. We're saved, man. Didn't you watch the Vandy series?
;)

Match-ups always matter more, but home field advantage matters in every sport — though sometimes for different reasons in different sports. Of course, the regional host doesn’t get the full benefit of home field advantage in terms of batting second.
Agree to disagree but respect your opinion totally Go Vols

Agree to disagree but respect your opinion totally Go Vols

Appreciate the collegiality 🍻

But my understanding is that the home team wins ~54% of MLB games… so home field definitely matters, and it’s not just my opinion. The reasons why it matters is more up for debate.

I’d also note that I personally suspect that any crowd effect (which I do think is a real factor in baseball) is likely amplified in a college baseball regional (when the home team is playing) as compared to an average MLB game — less empty seats, less apathy, more tense environment, etc.

Baseball is so mental that anything that throws a little wrench in that preparation is a factor. Everything from crowd noise to having to get on a bus/plane to the dang field looking different matters a lot.

Appreciate the collegiality 🍻

But my understanding is that the home team wins ~54% of MLB games… so home field definitely matters, and it’s not just my opinion. The reasons why it matters is more up for debate.

I’d also note that I personally suspect that any crowd effect (which I do think is a real factor in baseball) is likely amplified in a college baseball regional (when the home team is playing) as compared to an average MLB game — less empty seats, less apathy, more tense environment, etc.

Having said that, if the team that beat Vandy 17-1 shows up, they win in any stadium.

BUT- not sure the 2021 Wright State game in the regional ends that way if we are playing in Bloomington, Indiana. Maybe. But that bottom of the ninth was just electric. You could feel it build to that moment.

Actually you may be correct,I shouldn't comment on a sport that I never watch.

The atmosphere for playoff hockey is unlike anything other than a huge college football game. It’s wild. When the Preds made their run to the Stanley Cup Final in 2017 as an 8 seed, it was in large part because the environment in Smashville was insane.

I’d recommend anyone who’s never been to a playoff NHL game attend just once, whether you care about hockey or not. Kind of like how I don’t care about NASCAR, but can appreciate the environment at Bristol.

The atmosphere for playoff hockey is unlike anything other than a huge college football game. It’s wild. When the Preds made their run to the Stanley Cup Final in 2017 as an 8 seed, it was in large part because the environment in Smashville was insane.

I’d recommend anyone who’s never been to a playoff NHL game attend just once, whether you care about hockey or not. Kind of like how I don’t care about NASCAR, but can appreciate the environment at Bristol.

I was at the Cap centre in '96 for a playoff game against the hated Penguins that, at the time, was the 3rd longest NHL playoff game. It went to 4 overtimes and ended around 2am. I was there until the end and it was a great atmosphere the entire time.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Indiana just got swept this weekend at home by Maryland so that probably hurts their chances of hosting.

BUT, I wouldn't mind seeing UT come to Btown, I'd love to see the Vols in person.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/...ball-questions-be-answered-seasons-last-month

Maybe Tennessee is getting hot at the right time and finding its groove ahead of the SEC Tournament down in Hoover, Alabama. We will learn a lot more about the Vols down the stretch, first when they finally hit the road again for a series against Georgia next weekend — the same Bulldogs that swept No. 5 Arkansas the last time they played at home — before they host No. 15 Kentucky and face an ominous trip to Columbia to take on No. 3 South Carolina.

I think baseball is like hockey,home turf really doesn't matter that much like it does in football and basketball, it's the matchups.
Our home and away record paints a very different story. Let’s see how these last few weeks play out though.

Please keep the post season discussion here, so it will be in all one place……and not in various threads.

Reactions: VolPack22

VN Store

Back