2024-2025 Tennessee Basketball Team Discussion

I usually don't buy in too much to the mid-summer media availability but found some comments interesting...

1. Sounds as if the ZZ + Felix Okpara combo may spell us from some late shot-clock offensive woes possibly with a nice lob or two over the top.
2. Didn't realize the lottery pick talk for Cam Carr was sticking as much as Coach Rod is suggesting... combining this with all the talk from the Tatum Elite Camp he went to earlier this summer, I'm hoping he'll make a significant jump in his sophomore season.
3. Igor sounds like he'll be a clear matchup problem and the coaching staff is figuring out just about every approach to best utilize him offensively.

I usually don't buy in too much to the mid-summer media availability but found some comments interesting...

1. Sounds as if the ZZ + Felix Okpara combo may spell us from some late shot-clock offensive woes possibly with a nice lob or two over the top.
2. Didn't realize the lottery pick talk for Cam Carr was sticking as much as Coach Rod is suggesting... combining this with all the talk from the Tatum Elite Camp he went to earlier this summer, I'm hoping he'll make a significant jump in his sophomore season.
3. Igor sounds like he'll be a clear matchup problem and the coaching staff is figuring out just about every approach to best utilize him offensively.

If lights turn on for Carr this year on defense and he keeps confidence on offense, this upcoming season could be a blast. Sounds like ZZ, Felix, and Igor have 3 starting spots and likely closing spots locked up. Lanier, Mashack, and Carr probably battling for last 2 spots based on offense/defense needs and matchups.

If lights turn on for Carr this year on defense and he keeps confidence on offense, this upcoming season could be a blast. Sounds like ZZ, Felix, and Igor have 3 starting spots and likely closing spots locked up. Lanier, Mashack, and Carr probably battling for last 2 spots based on offense/defense needs and matchups.
Add in Gainey, Dubar, and Estrella for the likely 9 man rotation?

The current team is still in mostly an ‘individual’ skill work phase before transitioning to more five-on-five stuff. Leadership-wise it’s hard to overstate how firmly Zakai Zeigler and also Mashack have taken the reigns there.

Chemistry has always been a very big deal in Rick Barnes’ program, and that was a focus this summer with four transfers added to the mix. Everything we’ve heard in that regard suggests that things have gone smoothly.

That’s a testament to the current team embracing the newcomers, but it’s also a by-product of this staff vetting guys in the recruiting process (quickly in portal season) and not bringing in players who aren’t going to be good fits from a character standpoint.

We make an effort here (usually) to stay away from hyperbole, because ‘no one ever had a bad summer.’ But one guy we keep hearing buzz about is Igor Milicic.

We’re not saying he’s going to be an All-SEC guy or anything, but he’s someone that has most definitely gained the respect of teammates and coaches this summer.

Chaz Lanier was definitely the headliner of the transfer recruiting efforts when Tennessee landed him out of the portal, but at this stage Milicic is probably generating the same level of chatter inside the program.
-VQ

Interesting in what way? He only has one year of eligibility.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I kind of took it as it doesn't matter how hard Barnes coaches me because I don't have to deal with this past this year.

Interesting that he says he's only here one year when question was about how Barnes coaches him.

Last edited:

Maybe I'm on an island, but I kind of felt like Clark really tried to downplay the lottery pick talk on Cam Carr. Sounded like he thought it was a little overblown based on a couple limited looks at him where Cam had good outings. He seemed to believe Cam has that potential, perhaps, but he's done very little on the court in games that matter to legitimize that talk.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I kind of took it as it doesn't matter how hard Barnes coaches me because I don't have to deal with this past this year.

Interesting that he says he's only here one year when question was about how Barnes coaches him.
Yeah, I don't think that's how he meant it. Agree to disagree, I guess. The comment followed him saying, "I'm trying to enjoy my time with him", almost as if he laments the fact that he only gets one year with him and wants to take full advantage of his limited opportunity to learn from him. I'd also like to think he's not dumb enough to throw shade at his coach in the preseason.

Maybe I'm on an island, but I kind of felt like Clark really tried to downplay the lottery pick talk on Cam Carr. Sounded like he thought it was a little overblown based on a couple limited looks at him where Cam had good outings. He seemed to believe Cam has that potential, perhaps, but he's done very little on the court in games that matter to legitimize that talk.

This was my interpretation as well. If Clark was “backing up” the lottery comments, that to me would just put more pressure on Carr to perform. Which I don’t think is what he is trying to do.

Estrella nursing a foot injury which seems to have been going on all summer. Slightly concerning foot problems before season starts especially in a big.
That’s unfortunate. I don’t have a subscription, does it say how long he is expected to be out or when he is expected to be back to full strength?

From the Trilly discord:

“Got to see a good chunk of practice today. I think the starters are pretty set in stone. Z, Chaz, Shack, Igor and Felix. Front court is excellent. Igor and Felix are both perfect fits and really good. Cade is really coming along. I would say arguably the best frontcourt we’ve had and that’s without JP who is going to be a pro eventually. Z is obviously a really nice luxury at PG and gives Rick a lot of peace of mind to keep things running smoothly. We’ve got to get a lot more offense from the 2 and 3 spots. Cam was better today but still inconsistent. Shack is what he is which is still extremely valuable but most of the value on defense. Gainey is banged up but can at least make some shots when he gets hot. Chaz had a really rough day. Things not clicking for Dstone at all. I think with Z and the frontcourt and defense we cruise to a top 4/5 seed but Chaz and Cam’s offense probably determine whether or not we can compete at the very top of the league/sport”

From the Trilly discord:

“Got to see a good chunk of practice today. I think the starters are pretty set in stone. Z, Chaz, Shack, Igor and Felix. Front court is excellent. Igor and Felix are both perfect fits and really good. Cade is really coming along. I would say arguably the best frontcourt we’ve had and that’s without JP who is going to be a pro eventually. Z is obviously a really nice luxury at PG and gives Rick a lot of peace of mind to keep things running smoothly. We’ve got to get a lot more offense from the 2 and 3 spots. Cam was better today but still inconsistent. Shack is what he is which is still extremely valuable but most of the value on defense. Gainey is banged up but can at least make some shots when he gets hot. Chaz had a really rough day. Things not clicking for Dstone at all. I think with Z and the frontcourt and defense we cruise to a top 4/5 seed but Chaz and Cam’s offense probably determine whether or not we can compete at the very top of the league/sport”
I’m getting concerned about Chaz.

From the Trilly discord:

This article also had a blurb about Cade coming on nicely too. Essentially he played against Felix all summer and has developed nicely which will help depth for sure.

Either Carr or Chaz or both ideally would be 35% plus 3 point shooters to help this team offensively. If Chaz can't drive to basket then not end of the world.

VN Store

Back