2024-2025 Tennessee Basketball Team Discussion

Elementary school definition? There is one definition. Words mean what words mean. You say they don't mean anything based on what? The paws of physics don't pick favorites. What is is what is whether you like it or not. The history of sports and human existence is my proof. Common sense is my proof. I have made my points and gave supporting facts.. where are yours.. Mr power of Nuh-uh.

But I'm a nice guys I'll give you some real world basketball examples. Micheal Jordan. He came into the NBA at 195. Back then weight training wasn't a big think in the NBA. After his run ins with the bad boys pistons he hit the weight room and played between 205-216 the rest of his prime years. 10-20 lbs might not seem like a lot but it totally changed how he played how much of a beating he could not only take but dish out. He added not only mass but density by changing his BMI. This is why you can see 2 people same height and weigh and one look bigger. The bigger person in this example is actually less dense because muscle takes up less space than fat.

Second thing look at players in the NBA that play long careers.. they all have something in common. Out of 25 guys that played 19+ seasons in the NBA only 2 were guys that would be considered small (Chris Paul, John Stockton and Jason Terry). Only 4 were point guards (Jason Kidd was the 4th). Only 2 were under 6'2 Paul 6 feet and Stockton 6'1. Of all those guys only Stockton did not have an extensive injury history and he played in a different era.

NBA seasons played leaders
RankPlayerPositionSeasons
1​
Vince Carter*SG / SF
22​
2​
Robert Parish*C
21​
Kevin Willis[a]PF / C
Kevin Garnett*PF
Dirk Nowitzki*PF
LeBron James^SF
7​
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar*C
20​
Kobe Bryant*SG
Jamal CrawfordG
Udonis Haslem†PF / C
11​
Moses Malone*C
19​
James EdwardsC
John Stockton*PG
Karl Malone*PF
Charles OakleyPF / C
Shaquille O'Neal*C
Juwan HowardPF / C
Jason Kidd*PG
Tim Duncan*PF / C
Paul Pierce*SG / SF
Jason TerryG
Tyson ChandlerC
Carmelo Anthony†SF
Andre Iguodala†SG / SF
Chris Paul^PG

In basketball, the only thing worse than being too small is being too tall. There is a reason all the big men on here had a specific sort of body style. There is a reason people like Shaq and Kareem and Kevin Willis are on this list and Shawn Bradley isn't. There is a reason small guards in the NBA end up finishing their careers more often overseas than in the NBA. There is a reason the 20+ club only has 2 guards both 6'5+ wear and tear. Every guard on this list left because of injuries. This list is littered with physical specimens.

No one under the height of 5'10 has played more than 1001 games (Calvin Murphy) Only 6 (out of 26) have played more than 418 games. The vast majority of these guys finished playing before most members of this board were born. All left the NBA early because of injuries. So whats your excuse next? I got stats

1728320720203.png

Last edited:
Elementary school definition? There is one definition. Words mean what words mean. You say they don't mean anything based on what? The paws of physics don't pick favorites. What is is what is whether you like it or not. The history of sports and human existence is my proof. Common sense is my proof. I have made my points and gave supporting facts.. where are yours.. Mr power of Nuh-uh.

But I'm a nice guys I'll give you some real world basketball examples. Micheal Jordan. He came into the NBA at 195. Back then weight training wasn't a big think in the NBA. After his run ins with the bad boys pistons he hit the weight room and played between 205-216 the rest of his prime years. 10-20 lbs might not seem like a lot but it totally changed how he played how much of a beating he could not only take but dish out. He added not only mass but density by changing his BMI. This is why you can see 2 people same height and weigh and one look bigger. The bigger person in this example is actually less dense because muscle takes up less space than fat.

Second thing look at players in the NBA that play long careers.. they all have something in common. Out of 25 guys that played 19+ seasons in the NBA only 2 were guys that would be considered small (Chris Paul, John Stockton and Jason Terry). Only 4 were point guards (Jason Kidd was the 4th). Only 2 were under 6'2 Paul 6 feet and Stockton 6'1. Of all those guys only Stockton did not have an extensive injury history and he played in a different era.

1​
Vince Carter*SG / SF
22​
2​
Robert Parish*C
21​
Kevin Willis[a]PF / C
Kevin Garnett*PF
Dirk Nowitzki*PF
LeBron James^SF
7​
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar*C
20​
Kobe Bryant*SG
Jamal CrawfordG
Udonis Haslem†PF / C
11​
Moses Malone*C
19​
James EdwardsC
John Stockton*PG
Karl Malone*PF
Charles OakleyPF / C
Shaquille O'Neal*C
Juwan HowardPF / C
Jason Kidd*PG
Tim Duncan*PF / C
Paul Pierce*SG / SF
Jason TerryG
Tyson ChandlerC
Carmelo Anthony†SF
Andre Iguodala†SG / SF
Chris Paul^PG

In basketball, the only thing worse than being too small is being too tall. There is a reason all the big men on here had a specific sort of body style. There is a reason people like Shaq and Kareem and Kevin Willis are on this list and Shawn Bradley isn't. There is a reason small guards in the NBA end up finishing their careers more often overseas than in the NBA. There is a reason the 20+ club only has 2 guards both 6'5+ wear and tear. Every guard on this list left because of injuries. This list is littered with physical specimens.

No one under the height of 5'10 has played more than 1001 games (Calvin Murphy) Only 6 (out of 26) have played more than 418 games. The vast majority of these guys finished playing before most members of this board were born. All left the NBA early because of injuries. So whats your excuse next? I got stats

View attachment 684827

1​
Vince Carter*SG / SF
22​
2​
Robert Parish*C
21​
Kevin Willis[a]PF / C
Kevin Garnett*PF
Dirk Nowitzki*PF
LeBron James^SF
7​
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar*C
20​
Kobe Bryant*SG
Jamal CrawfordG
Udonis Haslem†PF / C
11​
Moses Malone*C
19​
James EdwardsC
John Stockton*PG
Karl Malone*PF
Charles OakleyPF / C
Shaquille O'Neal*C
Juwan HowardPF / C
Jason Kidd*PG
Tim Duncan*PF / C
Paul Pierce*SG / SF
Jason TerryG
Tyson ChandlerC
Carmelo Anthony†SF
Andre Iguodala†SG / SF
Chris Paul^PG

View attachment 684827
Your original incorrect statement was:

“I think that Gainey or Boswell will be the most important player to the teams success this year. If one of them can spell/support ZZ for 10-15 mins a game we becomes a very dangerous team. They don't have to be great one or both of them just has to be able to step in when ZZ is out or needs a breather.”

No one here agreed that Boswell or Gainey will be the “most important” player to the teams success. You were politely corrected and informed that he plays 34 minutes a game in conference play. Then you proceeded to pretend your case was about injuries and not rest. After that, you implied he was injury prone/vulnerable due to “physics”. You cherry picked mass as your “physics” argument, Ignoring endless other inputs. Now we’re on to NBA career longevity and conditioning. One would have thought you’d be humble enough to swallow your original dumb statement a few pages ago, but apparently not. Thanks for pasting in a chart. Sadly that doesn’t make me suddenly believe that Boswell and Gainey are the most important players in determining our success. I don’t believe ZZ will be limited in his minutes. I am intrigued by your typo though. “The paws of physics”. I like that. Henceforth you are “Pimo, The Paws of Physics”. Enjoy.

Your original incorrect statement was:

“I think that Gainey or Boswell will be the most important player to the teams success this year. If one of them can spell/support ZZ for 10-15 mins a game we becomes a very dangerous team. They don't have to be great one or both of them just has to be able to step in when ZZ is out or needs a breather.”

No one here agreed that Boswell or Gainey will be the “most important” player to the teams success. You were politely corrected and informed that he plays 34 minutes a game in conference play. Then you proceeded to pretend your case was about injuries and not rest. After that, you implied he was injury prone/vulnerable due to “physics”. You cherry picked mass as your “physics” argument, Ignoring endless other inputs. Now we’re on to NBA career longevity and conditioning. One would have thought you’d be humble enough to swallow your original dumb statement a few pages ago, but apparently not. Thanks for pasting in a chart. Sadly that doesn’t make me suddenly believe that Boswell and Gainey are the most important players in determining our success. I don’t believe ZZ will be limited in his minutes. I am intrigued by your typo though. “The paws of physics”. I like that. Henceforth you are “Pimo, The Paws of Physics”. Enjoy.
IMG_5719.jpeg

From the Trilly discord:

Dstone came alive today in the scrimmage. Best day he’s had by far. Was scoring inside and out. Still struggling to grasp the system but a good sign. Gainey and Shack had really good days too. Z and Igor didn’t have good days today and other guys stepped up which is a good sign

So Dstone can’t grasp the system.

Guess we will see a lot of him on the bench, but I guess that’s not terrible….Carr gets more minutes.

From the Trilly discord:

Dstone came alive today in the scrimmage. Best day he’s had by far. Was scoring inside and out. Still struggling to grasp the system but a good sign. Gainey and Shack had really good days too. Z and Igor didn’t have good days today and other guys stepped up which is a good sign
I think DStone is going to be one of those cases where he truly has the talent to score the ball but might get handicapped by not knowing the offensive schemes well enough.

Hopefully it clicks but wouldn’t be surprised if it doesn’t and he rides the bench like other transfers we’ve had in the past.

Man we’re being pessimistic about what’s a positive practice report. With DStone being a one year transfer, it wouldn’t have been a big surprise for him to check out (or even transfer out a la Chris Ledlum) after things weren’t clicking. I’m glad he’s persevering and that he had a good day; just needs to keep stacking them

From the Trilly discord:

Solid update. Confidence is usually a big thing with Barnes players and if they take his hard coaching and not lose confidence it usually pays off eventually.

Team really has great depth and just need a few dudes to turn into consistent scorers.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I’ve heard that Lanier and Dunbar have been having great practices and each are beginning to understand their roles in the system. I think the Trilly post is in reference to Dubar having back to back 12+ point scrimmages. I’ve heard he’s become more comfortable playing inside in a variety of lineups, and has become more comfortable driving when there’s space. Milicic had a bumpy week changing positions in different lineups, but I wouldn’t read anything negative into that. He’s still the transfer who will contribute the most. They’re just trying scenario based lineups at both ends to find chemistry. It is encouraging to hear that Dubai caught the train in multiple different roles.

I’ve heard that Lanier and Dunbar have been having great practices and each are beginning to understand their roles in the system. I think the Trilly post is in reference to Dubar having back to back 12+ point scrimmages. I’ve heard he’s become more comfortable playing inside in a variety of lineups, and has become more comfortable driving when there’s space. Milicic had a bumpy week changing positions in different lineups, but I wouldn’t read anything negative into that. He’s still the transfer who will contribute the most. They’re just trying scenario based lineups at both ends to find chemistry. It is encouraging to hear that Dubai caught the train in multiple different roles.
Would envision Dubar best suited small ball 4 but to get playing time will need to get comfortable at the 3 also. I wonder if the spot where Milicic struggles is if Barnes tries him at the 5.

Man we’re being pessimistic about what’s a positive practice report. With DStone being a one year transfer, it wouldn’t have been a big surprise for him to check out (or even transfer out a la Chris Ledlum) after things weren’t clicking. I’m glad he’s persevering and that he had a good day; just needs to keep stacking them
I'm probably going to hold my judgement until we see what the jury is on DStone. I am rooting for him, I'm just cautiously optimistic because of how similar circumstances have played out.

I just think about all of the transfers we've gotten in the past who came in more recently and struggled with consistency during their time here like E.J. Anosike, Tyreke Key, Justin Powell... and I'll even throw Victor Bailey Jr in this mix too. Hopefully things continue to trend in a positive direction.

🤣🤣🤣
Fahr yer editor! Dunbar, Dubar or Dubai? Which is it? 😉🤙🏼

I wonder if the spot where Milicic struggles is if Barnes tries him at the 5.
Just why? That’s two “ifs” in one sentence, speculation upon speculation.

Seriously, is there even a need for Milicic to man the five?

Just why? That’s two “ifs” in one sentence, speculation upon speculation.

Seriously, is there even a need for Milicic to man the five?
Because one of 2 main bigs is already nursing an undisclosed foot injury. And then you're down to Felix and Cade Phillips if Estrella's foot problems flare up during the season.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Because one of 2 main bigs is already nursing an undisclosed foot injury. And then you're down to Felix and Cade Phillips if Estrella's foot problems flare up during the season.
Oof! We do have a dearth of big men. Didn’t realize it was that bad until I checked the roster. Has he ever played the five? I imagine he has at that height. Shouldn’t be that far a …. “Stretch” 😉🤙🏼

Reactions: Chaz-Vol
I'm probably going to hold my judgement until we see what the jury is on DStone. I am rooting for him, I'm just cautiously optimistic because of how similar circumstances have played out.

I just think about all of the transfers we've gotten in the past who came in more recently and struggled with consistency during their time here like E.J. Anosike, Tyreke Key, Justin Powell... and I'll even throw Victor Bailey Jr in this mix too. Hopefully things continue to trend in a positive direction.
Would you say Stone is rated higher than those others listed?

Would you say Stone is rated higher than those others listed?
In my opinion, I’d say he’s rated higher primarily because of his efficiency in FG% at the rim and from 3-pt range while scoring 17 PPG last season.

The caveat is that he achieved this at Hofstra in the CAA conference. Tyreke Key and EJ Anosike put up similar PPG at their respective mid-majors at lower efficiency %. Victor Bailey and Justin Powell put up lower PPG and efficiency numbers but were playing at Power 5 schools prior.

Either way, staying cautiously optimistic given how similar circumstances have played out, regardless of prior stats/ratings.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back