2024 EURO & COPA AMERICA

Pretty wild to me how they've won 3 out of the last 5 Euros, and in one of the ones they didn't win they made the semis. Just super consistent.

When I got into soccer, everybody talked about England being the underachievers of the soccer world, but it was Spain. England had a Euro and a WC and a smaller population than Spain. Spain only had 1 Euro and had never even placed 3rd in the WC. Only made the semis once (1950). Then starting in 2008 they won the 3 titles in 4 years and quickly blew past England. This all happened just after I started following, and Spain has been the best team in the world for this 20-yr stretch. Argentina, Italy, France, and Germany have been pretty up and down, and Brazil has been totally disappointing.

When I got into soccer, everybody talked about England being the underachievers of the soccer world, but it was Spain. England had a Euro and a WC and a smaller population than Spain. Spain only had 1 Euro and had never even placed 3rd in the WC. Only made the semis once (1950). Then starting in 2008 they won the 3 titles in 4 years and quickly blew past England. This all happened just after I started following, and Spain has been the best team in the world for this 20-yr stretch. Argentina, Italy, France, and Germany have been pretty up and down, and Brazil has been totally disappointing.
IMO, England was kind of unfairly pinned as an underachiever for a little bit. Maybe not 15-20 years ago but definitely over the last couple of WC cycles. I feel like they've just now started to shake that off with back to back Euro runners up.

They have far and away the most popular/most financially successful/deepest domestic league, so by extension some people think they should have an incredible national team. But of course the EPL is what it is because of all the great foreign players they attract.

Reactions: theFallGuy and MAD
I remember watching that 2008 game, they hadn’t won anything since 1964, the year I was born. It’s been an incredible run since.

Reactions: n_huffhines

VN Store

Back