2024 SEC Baseball Tournament (5/21 - 5/26)

Update in post 1.... I am not crazy about the East-East & West-West rematches on the BaseVols side and likely on the other side for the second day. CTV says the coaches have certain things they want to work out during the tournament.... looking forward to seeing that (AJ getting some innings?).

Guidelines for using the double first base, as prescribed under NCAA playing rules, includes:

• A batted ball hitting or bounding over the white portion of the bag is a fair ball. A batted ball hitting or bounding over the colored (orange or green) bag without first touching or bounding over the white section is foul.

• When an initial play is being made on the batter-runner at first base, the defense must use the white section of the double base and the batter-runner must use the colored base except in the case of a dropped third strike. After a dropped third strike, if the fielder is drawn to the side of the colored base, the runner would go the white base and the fielder to the colored base. On a dropped third strike, the fielder and batter-runner may touch either the white or colored base.

• If there is a play on the batter-runner and the batter-runner touches only the white portion of the double base and the defense appeals prior to the batter-runner returning to first base, it is treated the same as missing the base. Penalty: Batter-runner is out.

• On extra-base hits or other balls hit to the outfield when there is no chance for a play to be made at the double base, the batter-runner may touch either the white or colored section of the base. Should, however, the batter-runner reach and go beyond first base, they may only return to the white section of the base.

• Once the batter-runner reaches first base, they shall then use only the white base.

Guidelines for using the double first base, as prescribed under NCAA playing rules, includes:

• A batted ball hitting or bounding over the white portion of the bag is a fair ball. A batted ball hitting or bounding over the colored (orange or green) bag without first touching or bounding over the white section is foul.

• When an initial play is being made on the batter-runner at first base, the defense must use the white section of the double base and the batter-runner must use the colored base except in the case of a dropped third strike. After a dropped third strike, if the fielder is drawn to the side of the colored base, the runner would go the white base and the fielder to the colored base. On a dropped third strike, the fielder and batter-runner may touch either the white or colored base.

• If there is a play on the batter-runner and the batter-runner touches only the white portion of the double base and the defense appeals prior to the batter-runner returning to first base, it is treated the same as missing the base. Penalty: Batter-runner is out.

• On extra-base hits or other balls hit to the outfield when there is no chance for a play to be made at the double base, the batter-runner may touch either the white or colored section of the base. Should, however, the batter-runner reach and go beyond first base, they may only return to the white section of the base.

• Once the batter-runner reaches first base, they shall then use only the white base.
Not convoluted at all…..

If this will prevent those bogus runner interference calls then maybe I can get behind it. Other than that I don’t think it belongs in baseball…

39EB2DD5-D822-4269-BD44-747866482283.gif

So would it hurt us badly if we lost the SEC tourney?
There was a time where I just wanted to get to Hoover. Now, I don't really want the Vols to spend a lot of time there. Get your pitching set for the run to Omaha and get home to rest. Gotta think if AJ Russell is going to be a factor, it has to begin in Hoover, no? Otherwise, just shut him down until next year. Aside from that, just stay healthy and pray a DH steps forward. The regular season means way more to me than the SECT. Much better determination of how good a team really is vs Hoover.

There was a time where I just wanted to get to Hoover. Now, I don't really want the Vols to spend a lot of time there. Get your pitching set for the run to Omaha and get home to rest. Gotta think if AJ Russell is going to be a factor, it has to begin in Hoover, no? Otherwise, just shut him down until next year. Aside from that, just stay healthy and pray a DH steps forward. The regular season means way more to me than the SECT. Much better determination of how good a team really is vs Hoover.
If you win all your games you would only play 4 games anyway. You play 3 on a standard weekend and you want to keep your pitchers on same basic schedule anyway. Its much ado about nothing no matter how Hoover plays out but I hope we play 4!

VN Store

Back