2024 Tennessee Volunteer "Depth Chart"

The offensive and defensive skill positions are what will swing it in my mind (I feel pretty confident that Nico will prove to be “him”). The wide receivers are a bit of an unknown outside of Squirrel and Bru. They could end up being middle of the pack or one of the best wr rooms in the conference. I’m hopeful it’s the latter.

On the other side, the secondary has lost a ton of experience but gained a lot of talent. There could be major growing pains, or they could play to potential and be a pretty solid compliment to the front seven (or six, as it were). I agree with you, could shape up to be a very good year. The question marks just make it more exciting, imo.
Couldn't disagree more about your assessment of the receiving corps. Brazzel and Thornton are known and will be top tier receivers. Thornton was playing out of position last year and playing with injuries. Nimrod was good when he played last year and has been really good in practice and scrimmages. Matthews will probably break into the WR rotation when he gets more familiar with the offense and will likely be better than anyone on this roster by the time his career is over. This is probably the deepest receiving corps the Vols have ever had. Would not be surprised to see 3 or 4 Vol pass catchers on the post-season 3-deep all-SEC team.

Couldn't disagree more about your assessment of the receiving corps. Brazzel and Thornton are known and will be top tier receivers. Thornton was playing out of position last year and playing with injuries. Nimrod was good when he played last year and has been really good in practice and scrimmages. Matthews will probably break into the WR rotation when he gets more familiar with the offense and will likely be better than anyone on this roster by the time his career is over. This is probably the deepest receiving corps the Vols have ever had. Would not be surprised to see 3 or 4 Vol pass catchers on the post-season 3-deep all-SEC team.
I don’t know if we’re as far apart as you think. Brazzell and Thornton are the two guys who can be really good to elite contributors along with Bru and Squirrel. I would almost say I expect them to be. I do disagree with you that the hay is in the barn already. One hasn’t taken a snap at this level of football and the other underwhelmed last year before showing some signs that the lightbulb was coming on. He (Thornton) has got to continue that momentum. I have a good feeling about both of those guys, but my feelings and a few dollars will buy you a cup of coffee.

Nimrod is another that needs to take a big step and give Squirrel a chance to rest when he needs it. I agree, some positive signs there. If Matthews contributes this season, that’s gravy imo.

I do wholeheartedly agree with you that this is the deepest the WR room has been in the Heupel era, and it probably isn’t close. Essentially what I’m saying is that I understand why our wide receiver corps may not be on the national radar, but I also think it will be by mid-season. The potential is there, but it has to be realized.

I noticed that DeSean Bishop is Kick Returner with Cam Seldon. I hope they give him a chance because he is so fast

GV7Cn_aaoAEccyZ
I got to the RBs and just stopped reading.

Reactions: FBtime and VAVol85
Idk why people are always excited for this. Literally every battle anyone is curious about just gets tagged with an "or" so you never get any information

Reactions: NighthawkVol
I think those safety spots are interchangeable, and they’re just trying to show they have 4 guys they’re comfortable with.

It’s actually a pretty decent group.
Turrentine looked like an All- Conference safety against IOWA.

Charles before his early injuries was about to push Tank out at starter. Then he needed to play CB, and he just never got the chance to really settle down at safety. He’s there now.

Thomas was really good for MTSU.

Brooks has the coaches trust.
I think you would look like an all conference safety against Iowa. Their O was terrible

Reactions: chuckiepoo
WLB Arion Carter or Kalib Perry. I thought A. Carter would be a clear1st.

Did I sleep on K. Perry spring and fall reports? What kind of production are we getting out of K. Perry this year?

Love seeing Eason in the starting rotation. He has vastly improved since moving to DT. I hope he can play himself into the draft after this season. It’s awesome to see how much roster improvement we have from even two years ago. The overall depth is loads better than it was.

Reactions: MemphisVol77

Did I sleep on K. Perry spring and fall reports? What kind of production are we getting out of K. Perry this year?
Perry 21 tkls in 2023
Carter 17 tkls in 2023

I’m very excited about Arion Carters potential. He’s only been here one year.
But he hasn’t done anything yet to be viewed as a set in stone starter.
Let him go earn it on Saturdays…

I don’t know if we’re as far apart as you think. Brazzell and Thornton are the two guys who can be really good to elite contributors along with Bru and Squirrel. I would almost say I expect them to be. I do disagree with you that the hay is in the barn already. One hasn’t taken a snap at this level of football and the other underwhelmed last year before showing some signs that the lightbulb was coming on. He (Thornton) has got to continue that momentum. I have a good feeling about both of those guys, but my feelings and a few dollars will buy you a cup of coffee.

Nimrod is another that needs to take a big step and give Squirrel a chance to rest when he needs it. I agree, some positive signs there. If Matthews contributes this season, that’s gravy imo.

I do wholeheartedly agree with you that this is the deepest the WR room has been in the Heupel era, and it probably isn’t close. Essentially what I’m saying is that I understand why our wide receiver corps may not be on the national radar, but I also think it will be by mid-season. The potential is there, but it has to be realized.
I may be going out on a limb, but I repeat: "This is probably the deepest receiving corps the Vols have ever [not just 'in the Heupel era'] had." If it doesn't show on the field, it will be because Nico does not perform up to the hype, not because of the receivers. Furthermore, from what I have gathered from other sources, as well as hearing it from Thornton's mouth, he was playing out of position (slot vs. wideout) last year and was playing injured because we were so thin at that position. He's healthy now and playing wideout. As long as our OL holds up, with Bru, Squirrel, Brazzell, Thornton, Nimrod and Webb running all over the field, opposing defenses will be hard pressed to slow down the Vols offense.

I may be going out on a limb, but I repeat: "This is probably the deepest receiving corps the Vols have ever [not just 'in the Heupel era'] had." If it doesn't show on the field, it will be because Nico does not perform up to the hype, not because of the receivers. Furthermore, from what I have gathered from other sources, as well as hearing it from Thornton's mouth, he was playing out of position (slot vs. wideout) last year and was playing injured because we were so thin at that position. He's healthy now and playing wideout. As long as our OL holds up, with Bru, Squirrel, Brazzell, Thornton, Nimrod and Webb running all over the field, opposing defenses will be hard pressed to slow down the Vols offense.
Dang, bold words. I can dig it though. WGWTFA.

Perry 21 tkls in 2023
Carter 17 tkls in 2023

I’m very excited about Arion Carters potential. He’s only been here one year.
But he hasn’t done anything yet to be viewed as a set in stone starter.
Let him go earn it on Saturdays…
Arion Carter got shut down after Kentucky, missed last 5 games. I'm with you, though. Everything must be earned. No one gets anointed.

I need to go back and watch some of the YouTube clips interviewing coaches. I'm not looking for A. Carter confirmation, I'm looking for K. Perry Kool-aid now.

I'm very confident our LB's will out-perform last season. Losing Beasley stings, and I'm not trying to knock E. Herring, but he wouldn't have transferred to Memphis if he could stay in our 2-deep.

Love seeing Eason in the starting rotation. He has vastly improved since moving to DT. I hope he can play himself into the draft after this season. It’s awesome to see how much roster improvement we have from even two years ago. The overall depth is loads better than it was.
I was surprised to see Eason listed ahead of ONL (if that means anything) because I was expecting great things from ONL this year.

To me it’s Thornton over Brazzell. The order of names matters despite the “or”. That’s how we know Brooks will trot out there first
I think Thornton over Brazzell is just experience in the system. No matter how good you are it is tough to just step in and run CJH offense.

1989: Alvin Harper, Anthony Morgan, Carl Pickens, Thomas Woods, Terrence Cleveland, Vince Moore.

That was the deepest and most talented WR corps we’ve ever had. BUT those WRs were not utilized nearly as much as this group will be because that was a run first team with Cobb-Webb behind a great OLine. Sterling Henton couldn’t hit water if he fell out of a boat and Andy Kelly hadn’t really developed much. This year’s group will be much more productive.

You should understand the importance of the player listed first. They will be the starters. For most of these the "or" is just a service to the backups. "Hey we see you working hard and this is to show you will get playing time" To confirm that look no further than LEO where James Pearce has an OR listed after him but does anyone think our All-American DE won't be starting?? Of course he will! Arion Carter will also be starting.
1724762611088.png

I was surprised to see Eason listed ahead of ONL (if that means anything) because I was expecting great things from ONL this year.
Who knows who will actually get more snaps, but at times last year, Eason, in my opinion had some of the best interior performances. He has the best hands of the group and can rush the passer. CRG rotated players a lot and so we will see plenty of that group going in and out. They are really deep.

1989: Alvin Harper, Anthony Morgan, Carl Pickens, Thomas Woods, Terrence Cleveland, Vince Moore.

That was the deepest and most talented WR corps we’ve ever had. BUT those WRs were not utilized nearly as much as this group will be because that was a run first team with Cobb-Webb behind a great OLine. Sterling Henton couldn’t hit water if he fell out of a boat and Andy Kelly hadn’t really developed much. This year’s group will be much more productive.
That was a great group of receivers, 5 NFL draft picks. Pickens was a freshman and only had 7 rec. for 81 yds. in '89, so I would say he and Matthews are a wash.
Morgan 13 for 226, Woods 34 for 511, Harper 13 for 246, Cleveland 5 for 78 and Moore 4 for 62 (pretty impressive ypc by that group). I'll predict the top 3 '24 Vol receivers will have more total receiving yards than those 6 from '89.

I would contend that McCoy, White, Brazzell, Thornton, and Nimrod, baring injury, will all be drafted and, as a whole, drafted higher than the '89 receivers. Staley, Webb, Spillman and Leacock have all gotten some pretty good reviews as well and I would wager at least 2 of those guys will be drafted. So yeah, the '24 Vols receiving corp as a whole is probably more talented and definitely much deeper than the '89 class.

VN Store

Back