2024 Transfer Portal Thread

I think he was waiting to see that we didn't fill up with other kids who were a threat to his playing time. Okpara is a direct threat to it, and Dubar and Milicic are indirect threats. Not to mention JPE, who was already a present threat.

Running from competition seems really put of character for Tobe, but I guess this environment incentivizes kids to find the best situation for themselves. Being so far away from home, I can understand wanting a clear path to playing time given that basketball is basically your life.

I don't like it, but I understand why he's looking elsewhere. And I really don't think it's about money for him. I just wish he understood that he was as much a detriment to his playing time last year as anything else. Hopefully he finds a place where he can play and stay on the court without fouling so much.
Zona fans feel confident and think he will be nice coming off the bench.

If that’s the case, makes it more confusing why he wouldn’t come back when he had a starting spot.

I mean I don't know Awaka personally or anything, but I feel it's less about $ or playing time. More about location, of course if he ends up in Arizona or somewhere else he'll prove my theory completely wrong...

I'm not certain I prefer Anderson, but I certainly don't think the difference in the two kids is Beverly Hills to Bangladesh, either.
Anderson solves the potential issue of a logjam at wing, imo. I think he’d be more receptive to playing the long game. Tyson obviously provides a more immediate impact though.

Zona fans feel confident and think he will be nice coming off the bench.

If that’s the case, makes it more confusing why he wouldn’t come back when he had a starting spot.
Yeah, if he lands there as a bench player who plays 15 mpg, then I don't understand it. Further from home, worse situation, and not playing with guys he's familiar with.

I know it's been rumored that he and Aidoo didn't exactly jive, but maybe it was more widespread than that. If so, though, it seems like he wouldn't have entertained returning like he did.

Yeah, if he lands there as a bench player who plays 15 mpg, then I don't understand it. Further from home, worse situation, and not playing with guys he's familiar with.

I know it's been rumored that he and Aidoo didn't exactly jive, but maybe it was more widespread than that. If so, though, it seems like he wouldn't have entertained returning like he did.
To me when you factor all of the reasons, the only thing that makes sense is.....money. I'm sure that is a factor in every one if these decisions, but in my mind it has to be the main driving one because of the reasons you and others listed previously.

He never seemed to be part of the clique.

I won’t share why I think that is cause it’s not fair to him. But I think maybe he just didn’t culturally fit with the other guys.

To me when you factor all of the reasons, the only thing that makes sense is.....money. I'm sure that is a factor in every one if these decisions, but in my mind it has to be the main driving one because of the reasons you and others listed previously.
I don't know. That's the one thing multiple sources have indicated his decision is not about. Now whether you believe them or not is up to you, but that seems to be the prevailing theory. I also have no idea how much money he could possibly be getting to go be a 7th or 8th man for Arizona if it were about money. Is $150k all the way across the country in an unfamiliar environment better than $100k at Tennessee where you have some roots and are much closer to home? Those are just make believe numbers, but how much more is the risk of Arizona (for example) worth? And how much is he realistically being paid? His numbers don't exactly command high dollars.

Reactions: vol94 and jp1
He never seemed to be part of the clique.

I won’t share why I think that is cause it’s not fair to him. But I think maybe he just didn’t culturally fit with the other guys.
I think I know where you're going and I kind of agree. Probably has a lot to do with being from New York and coming to Knoxville, too. Those places are night an day different for a lot of reasons, but culturally, they are polar opposites. Some kids like it and thrive, others struggle with the difference and never find a way to fit in with the culture and environment that surrounds them.

I think I know where you're going and I kind of agree. Probably has a lot to do with being from New York and coming to Knoxville, too. Those places are night an day different for a lot of reasons, but culturally, they are polar opposites. Some kids like it and thrive, others struggle with the difference and never find a way to fit in with the culture and environment that surrounds them.

Funny enough I actually think it’s the opposite.

His teammates are more NY, while he is more…conservative.

I mean his favorite book is the Bible. You would think he would culturally fit in with Barnes because of that, but who knows. I hesitate to speculate. Just hate losing him.

It’s tough to cover this topic without stepping on his privacy… Without sharing too much, I can say that Tobe was by far the most serious off the court, and highly dedicated on the court. He was not a part of the core click of friends, by his choice and theirs. Aidoo was very social, silly, playful etc. Awaka perceived that as not committed, and he was ready to go by the end of the year. When Aidoo left, they asked him to rethink it, and he did. Ultimately the damage is done and he’ll be better off starting over. He is definitely not a bad kid, not a traitor, not a locker room cancer etc. He was just all business and didn’t like the returns that was getting him. I hope he fits wherever he lands.

Guys get Anderson out of your head Lol. Sorry but he isn’t a take at Tennessee. He doesn’t meet the standard in too many areas of his game. As a 6’9” 190 pound guard he doesn’t rebound, play defense, or handle the ball well enough to play for Barnes.

It’s tough to cover this topic without stepping on his privacy… Without sharing too much, I can say that Tobe was by far the most serious off the court, and highly dedicated on the court. He was not a part of the core click of friends, by his choice and theirs. Aidoo was very social, silly, playful etc. Awaka perceived that as not committed, and he was ready to go by the end of the year. When Aidoo left, they asked him to rethink it, and he did. Ultimately the damage is done and he’ll be better off starting over. He is definitely not a bad kid, not a traitor, not a locker room cancer etc. He was just all business and didn’t like the returns that was getting him. I hope he fits wherever he lands.
Sounds fair. I really hate losing him from a fan perspective. His dedication was respected in my household of Vol fans. We will continue to cheer the young man on wherever he decides to go. I think this is a player that we will definitely miss next year.

I mean his favorite book is the Bible. You would think he would culturally fit in with Barnes because of that, but who knows. I hesitate to speculate. Just hate losing him.

I wasn’t talking about how he fits with the coaching staff though.

I think @Stoerner Fumbles covered it well enough without needing to take it further.

Sounds like a kid I wish we could have kept here. It does make sense with his effort on the court, that he would take things very seriously.

VN Store

Back