2024 win projections

I agree about Florida but i see some folks around here are really confused about Bama...if we win that 1 it will be a hard fought game against a team that still has a more talented roster than we do according to the recruiting services. Saban didnt get fired and that team didnt self destruct ....they made the 4 team playoff and were a play or 2 from beating the eventual Champion. Bama isnt "down" like a lot of folks around here seem to think. The Vegas line on that game will probably be a "pick em" and thats with us getting 3 points for home field advantage.
I don’t disagree they have talent but this is year 4 for CJH and he shouldn’t lose to first season coaches at home. Alabama will have some challenges. You don’t replace a legend and just don’t miss a beat.

I don’t disagree they have talent but this is year 4 for CJH and he shouldn’t lose to first season coaches at home. Alabama will have some challenges. You don’t replace a legend and just don’t miss a beat.

Agree 100%. This should be a hard fought and close game and hopefully we come out on top. If Bama breezes into Neyland and beats us by 2 or 3 scores, Coach Hype really dropped the ball and folks will not be happy about that.

Reactions: Flipdaddy
9 wins would be great but Heupel has to do a better job of playing on the road. A win in Norman is critical.
With all due respect, I don’t think 9 wins would be great. It would be good, but it probably means we went 1-3 vs OU, UF, Bama and UGA. We can win 10 . I do agree that the game in Norman is huge and that we haven’t played well on the road outside of the game in Baton Rouge and a thumping we’ve put on Mizzou .
If we drop the game in Norman, Bama becomes a must win at home.

I think 9-3 is definitely the most likely outcome. There won't be any undefeated teams except UGA if we cant pull off the upset and of course the Buckeyes because as always they play nobody that could even beat Kentucky in their entire season except perhaps Michigan. Ever.

If we catch some breaks and avoid serious injuries we could go 10-2 which is an AUTOMATIC playoff berth in the SEC now that its 12 teams. Making the tournament is ALL that ANYONE from any fanbase can ask for in the foreseeable future without being ridiculous. Regardless of what a small braindead portion of our fanbase thinks (whose memories apparently began new 3 years ago) theres no " hotseat" for Coach Hype or any other coach not named Ryan Day with a playoff appearance in any given season. Hell if Coach Hype can get us in that 12 team playoff even half the time he will be the best and most successful Tennessee coach not named Neyland the very 1st time he brings home a Championship.

We have a great coach guys, and there isnt a better one out there available post Saban. We are lucky to have him, and regardless of how ridiculous some of the expectations are around here he isnt going anywhere any time soon. Dont mind my opinion though....listen to what Coach Cutcliffe had to say about him unprompted on Dave Hookers show. Our offense keeps setting records every year under him. Did yall know that this is the 1st Tennessee team to EVER average 200 yards or more rushing for 3 years in a row since they have been keeping yardage stats? Fulmer never pulled that off. With those MONSTER classes we had in the 90s. He has reset just about all of the stats for scoring, yardage, you name it. In his 1st three years at UT. The defense has also improved markedly every season he has been here as our talent there has increased. We got a good one. GO VOLS
You make to much sense for most. Great post. In CHRIST Alone

Then Heupel isn't the guy. 8-4 in year 4 is a failure.
If by "the guy" you mean General Neyland reborn, that can be answered right now. He is not General Neyland reborn. What Heupel is, is our best coach since Fulmer, and if we win 8 games next year, it would be the first time we had strung together 3 years of 8+ wins since 2002-04. The fact that this would somehow be failure to some of you is precisely how we went walking in the wilderness for a decade plus to start with.

If by "the guy" you mean General Neyland reborn, that can be answered right now. He is not General Neyland reborn. What Heupel is, is our best coach since Fulmer, and if we win 8 games next year, it would be the first time we had strung together 3 years of 8+ wins since 2002-04. The fact that this would somehow be failure to some of you is precisely how we went walking in the wilderness for a decade plus to start with.
I think there is a real case to be made that Heupel a better coach than Fulmer.

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
He could be, but stringing together 3, 8+ win seasons for the first time in 20 years would certainly not be failure on his part, particularly given what he inherited. This is a Majors type rebuild, we just need to keep beating who we are supposed to. Rebuilding a reputation as a winner, year in and year out is learning walk before we run, like Johnny taught us.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Especially in the transfer portal age and Tenn has one of the best NIL programs... why is it ok for a coach to go 8-4 in his 4th year?

8-4 with losses to OU, Bama , Georgia and Arkansas, I think we beat Florida at home but as we have tended to do under Heupel we lay a egg on the road and that will be to Arkansas in Sam Pittman’s last stand in Fayetteville.
Arkansas?...Really?

Reactions: FBtime
We will in my opinion only lose to Bama,Dawgs and Sooners but could possibly beat 1 or 2 of them!We should win the rest,Im saying 10-2 record!!People are under estimating the Vols!
I think the game with the Sooners will tell us a lot about where we are as a team. If we beat the Sooners, I predict 11-1 if we were to lose to the Sooners, maybe 8-4

Reactions: Wrangler95
I think Hype is a much better field coach than Fulmer, but in recruiting, at this point Fulmer has a huge edge in recruiting. Hc is both recruiting and field coaching. I would love to see what Hype could have done with the players we had in the 90's.

I think Bama and UGA both lose at least 2 games, mostly due to their schedules. Bama has a really tough schedule and UGA actually has to play a real schedule for a change. I think OU will really miss Dillon Gabriel and will lose at least 4 games next year. I think Texas will be the team to beat in the SEC as they have a very favorable SEC schedule.

That being said, 10-2 needs to be the baseline for this season. Our schedule is pretty favorable as well and we have a lot of returning and incoming talent, especially on offense. We should have one of the best OL in the country and we have one of the deepest WR rooms in the country.

Especially in the transfer portal age and Tenn has one of the best NIL programs... why is it ok for a coach to go 8-4 in his 4th year?
If we go 8-4 this coming year with 3 straight 8 plus win seasons for the first time in 20 , it's hard to say we are on the wrong track. We play in the SEC, and while there is really no reliable way to measure the strength of NIL programs, I don't think any of the traditional SEC powers are impoverished, despite what hater propaganda you may hear from time to time. I know many of the teams on our schedule won't be talent impoverished in 2024, in fact there will probably be 3-4 teams with higher rated talented than ours when the 247 team talent composite comes out in August. There usually are. Can we do better than 8-4 next year? Certainly, if things go right, but I'm not going to start wanting to fire Heupel if we don't like I said, at least 8 wins again next year will be rarified air for the UT program, at least those of us living in the 21st century.

Reactions: Ernie McCracken
I think Hype is a much better field coach than Fulmer, but in recruiting, at this point Fulmer has a huge edge in recruiting. Hc is both recruiting and field coaching. I would love to see what Hype could have done with the players we had in the 90's.
Agreed. Thinking about the 96 and 97 teams. It’s possible with Heupel as the head coach we could have won back to back NCs.

I have us going 9-3

my son-in-law is a Gator fan and he says they might only win 4 games this year.
Hopefully they don’t win any or score any points and fire their entire staff at the first half time and the special transfer portal opens up and their entire team leaves, and they have to forfeit the rest of the season then the state and federal Congress passes a law, making it a felony to have anything with a gator on it, or to even say the word, as well as making it a hate crime to do the gator chomp.

If we go 8-4 this coming year with 3 straight 8 plus win seasons for the first time in 20 , it's hard to say we are on the wrong track. We play in the SEC, and while there is really no reliable way to measure the strength of NIL programs, I don't think any of the traditional SEC powers are impoverished, despite what hater propaganda you may hear from time to time. I know many of the teams on our schedule won't be talent impoverished in 2024, in fact there will probably be 3-4 teams with higher rated talented than ours when the 247 team talent composite comes out in August. There usually are. Can we do better than 8-4 next year? Certainly, if things go right, but I'm not going to start wanting to fire Heupel if we don't like I said, at least 8 wins again next year will be rarified air for the UT program, at least those of us living in the 21st century.
You're assuming a lot of things I didn't say.
What huepel has done has been really, really impressive.
I never said we should call for his firing if he goes 8-4 this year.
But what I am saying is if he DOES go 8-4 in his 4th year with the players he has returning, Nico's hype, NIL being one of the best in the country... that's a failure and shows that he is LIKELY not going to win championships (barring the obvious excuse of Nico or insane amount of players getting hurt).

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves here
I am being serious. Given the situation? Think about it. The SECE was extremely weak in Fulmers day. Nowhere close to as competitive as it has been under Heupels time.

What Heupel did in 2022 was as good as anything Fulmer ever did and that includes 1998

I am being serious. Given the situation? Think about it. The SECE was extremely weak in Fulmers day. Nowhere close to as competitive as it has been under Heupels time.

What Heupel did in 2022 was as good as anything Fulmer ever did and that includes 1998
A bad loss to Beamer does not equate to a national title

Lot of fan bases would be happy with 8-4, including ours 4 years ago. But my prediction is 10-2. Another loss to gawga (hopefully the last) and?????

VN Store

Back