Lady Vols WIN! ⚽️ #23 Tennessee 2 Ole Miss 1

Next game I might move Fox from right back to defensive midfield, and bring in Huerta at right back. I might start Lavelle if she can go longer, or if not, then maybe Kelly O'Hara at right wing midfield, or right fullback instead of Huerta. I will let y'all know what I have decided to do. 😁

The Dutch squandered a lot of good play in the first half. They got the lead and then got cute the rest of the half--just settled for possessing the ball
and stopped attacking the goal. That was stupid, especially because they were breaking down the U.S, making the U.S. chase. The Dutch would get the ball into the attacking half, start what looked to be a promising attack--and then pull the ball out. Did that over and over. At some point, you need to get the ball in the box and create shots. Meanwhile, when the U.S. got the ball they attacked the goal and got a lot of corners--and the U.S. is maybe the best heading team in soccer, so that was trouble waiting to happen for the Dutch. Losing Van der Gragt hurt the Dutch. U.S. will win the group unless The Netherlands can score at least 4 goals against Vietnam, since the U.S. beat Vietnam 3-0. And even that might not be enough if the U.S. beats Portugal by 2 or more goals, which certainly could happen. That kerfuffle between Van de Donk and Horan was interesting as they play for the same club team--Lyon. Horan got the last laugh there.

Host Australia is in trouble. After losing to Nigeria, in an upset, they've now got to beat Canada to advance out of the group. That will be hard without Kerr--whom I presume is not going to play--and because Canada is not only one of the best defensive teams in the game but seems to get a greasy goal in just about every game. Australia's young, talented attacking player, Fowler, also missed the Nigeria game. Not sure of her status for next game. To host the World Cup with a good team but get eliminated early, partly because of an injury to your great striker that keeps her out of the tourney would be harsh, but it could happen.

The Dutch squandered a lot of good play in the first half. They got the lead and then got cute the rest of the half--just settled for possessing the ball
and stopped attacking the goal. That was stupid, especially because they were breaking down the U.S, making the U.S. chase. The Dutch would get the ball into the attacking half, start what looked to be a promising attack--and then pull the ball out. Did that over and over. At some point, you need to get the ball in the box and create shots. Meanwhile, when the U.S. got the ball they attacked the goal and got a lot of corners--and the U.S. is maybe the best heading team in soccer, so that was trouble waiting to happen for the Dutch. Losing Van der Gragt hurt the Dutch. U.S. will win the group unless The Netherlands can score at least 4 goals against Vietnam, since the U.S. beat Vietnam 3-0. And even that might not be enough if the U.S. beats Portugal by 2 or more goals, which certainly could happen. That kerfuffle between Van de Donk and Horan was interesting as they play for the same club team--Lyon. Horan got the last laugh there.

Injuries are part of the game but the Dutch are missing one of the best strikers in the game Midema who tore her ACL playing for Arsenal this spring and their number 2 striker Beerensteyn was hurt in their tournament opener. So their attack was hamstrung and they were probably content to play for a 1-0 win.

In terms of injuries, Rodman would not be starting if Mallory (Pugh) Swanson had not torn her ACL. Vlatko A. needs to consider another option in her slot. She is too unpolished right now. She looses the ball too often due to bad first touches, seldom sees the right pass and generally holds on to the ball too long. she can make a play here and there from her speed but on the whole, I think she is hurting more than helping.

The team does look better with Lavelle in the mid field and hopefully her fitness is progressing so that she can start and play a full 90 if needed.

Right now, and things can change, the USWNT look well behind Spain and Germany.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back