Lady Vols WIN! ⚽️ #23 Tennessee 2 Ole Miss 1

Haiti should have been given 2 penalty kicks.

The referee made what seemed an obvious PK foul on China very late in the match---when the China defender jumped on the back of the Haitian player and grabbed the Haitian player around the neck. Yes, penalty. She then goes over to review the play with VAR, and then either she, or VAR officials, or both, decide to retract the PK call. I don't understand it, and I don't think many do. And while refs are supposed to explain, to some degree, their decisions in this tournament, there was no explanation for why the PK was not given. Bizarre. Haiti had a man advantage for a long time after that terrible red-care foul at about '22, but didn't do enough with it. Didn't Haiti also miss a penalty shot?

Reactions: MAD and chuckiepoo
Sweden and Jamaican should most definitely win tomorrow. And I think Brazil will beat a France team that has really been hobbled by injuries.
Their veteran centerback, Renard, is out of this game. Coming into the tourney, Les Bleues were without at least three and maybe four starters because
of injuries, including their exceptional striker, Katoto. Keep on an eye on Debinha for Brazil---exciting player who's arguably been the best player in the U.S. NWSL for a few years.

Two big matches early Monday morning. Japan vs. Spain is a must see--both have looked good so far--but, unfortunately, the game starts at 3:00 (or 3:30)
on the U.S. east coast, and that is brutal. I simply can't get into bed early enough to make getting up at 3:00 feasible--but I may try! That same morning Australia plays Canada in what is a must-win for Australia. That should be a good, intense matchup. We'll see if Kerr is able to play. Starts at 6:30 a.m., I believe.

Simmonds and Solai Washington, a Georgia high school senior, just came on for Jamaica with 10 minutes left. I look at Washington and, think, she looks very much like Giselle. Yep, she is Giselle's younger sister. She is apparently one of the top prospects in Georgia, plays forward, and has made a couple of nice moves in this game.

The referee made what seemed an obvious PK foul on China very late in the match---when the China defender jumped on the back of the Haitian player and grabbed the Haitian player around the neck. Yes, penalty. She then goes over to review the play with VAR, and then either she, or VAR officials, or both, decide to retract the PK call. I don't understand it, and I don't think many do. And while refs are supposed to explain, to some degree, their decisions in this tournament, there was no explanation for why the PK was not given. Bizarre. Haiti had a man advantage for a long time after that terrible red-care foul at about '22, but didn't do enough with it. Didn't Haiti also miss a penalty shot?
I don't remember Haiti getting to take a PK, but you are right in that they should have been able to spread out China and throw more offense at them, given that extra man advantage that they had.

I didn't think Renard was playing for France today, but she'd recovered from her minor injury, played and scored the winning goal
for France with one of her vintage headers. At 6'2", Renard has been arguably the game's best header of the ball for about a decade.
She has scored a lot of goals with her head off of corners.

Jamaica can get through to the knockout stage if it can get a tie (or win, of course) against Brazil. I'll be shocked if that happens--but I've been
wrong a few times already!

VN Store

Back