Lady Vols WIN! ⚽️ #23 Tennessee 2 Ole Miss 1

Very happy to see Burdette start her pro career. Her physical playing style is similar to that of USWNT defensive stalwart Julie Ertz,, IMO, so she's got potential as a defensive midfielder. Needs to continue to work on her ball skills and her passing. I think she can go beyond the Iceland league. For that reason I was disappointed that Katie Cousins returned to Iceland after her unsuccessful stint with Angel City. Iceland is an OK European league and gives you some exposure--both Cousins and Vignola got spotted for their play there and signed with Angel City of the NWSL---but there are half a dozen in Europe that are better, and I think Cousins is good enough to play with many of the second-tier teams in the better leagues.

Marcano went from Iceland to one of the two top clubs in the Turkish league. I don't think the Turkish league has much depth, so it would be great to see her move to Europe proper as well.

Japan with a very impressive win over an excellent Spain team. Spain had almost 80 percent possession in the game--no one controls the ball better--but Japan played excellent defense, Spain couldn't really find ways to break through Japan in the final third--and Japan had three textbook counter-attacking goals in the first half. One went in off a deflection and was lucky--but the other two were clinical: excellent passes to Miyazawa and two excellent strikes by her. First class. I watched the first half. What really impressed me is that Japan won the second half as well. Most teams with a 3-0 lead at the half would get a little complacent or sloppy in the 2nd half and give up goals to a team as good as Spain, but Japan didn't and even added a fourth goal.

For those following the USWNT, here are the possible outcomes for the U.S. after tonight’s game.

If Portugal and Vietnam win (illustrated by the yellow boxes) the outcome for the U.S. gets complicated.

IMG_3208.jpeg

A U.S. win is advantageous compared to a tie with Portugal, even though the U.S. advances either way.

A win against Portugal makes it almost (but not 100%) certain that the U.S. tops the group, earning better placement in the elimination bracket moving forward.

The game ends at 0-0.
Alex Morgan had numerous chances to score but came up empty.
USA with 17 shots, 6 of which were on goal. Portugal with 6 shots and ZERO on goal. We should have won this one (Though Portugal did hit the post in stoppage time). Scoring is proving to be a problem so far for this team.

Last edited:
Group D
  • England (6 points): Can advance with a win or draw against China, or with a 1-0 loss plus a 1-0 win for Denmark if fair play points benefit England. Can win the group with a win or draw against China, pending other results.
  • Denmark (3 points): Can advance by bettering or matching China's result and scoring the same or more goals than China, or with a 1-0 win plus a 1-0 China win if fair play points benefit Denmark. Can win the group with a win against Haiti plus a China win, but by scoring the same or more goals than China.
  • China (3 points): Can advance with a better result than Denmark or by matching Denmark and scoring more goals than them, or with a 1-0 win against England plus a 1-0 Denmark win if fair play points benefit China. Can win the group with the same scenarios.
  • Haiti (0 points): Can advance with a two-goal win against Denmark plus a China loss.

VN Store

Back