32-hour workweek bill reintroduced in Congress

Eh, its not lazyness. Several studies have shown that production stays up, and down time goes down. Ends up saving the company money. the 5/40 has never been based on anything solid that says "this is best".

I am against forcing it, but wouldn't mind the government offering some type of tax incentive for it.

Eh, its not lazyness. Several studies have shown that production stays up, and down time goes down. Ends up saving the company money. the 5/40 has never been based on anything solid that says "this is best".

I am against forcing it, but wouldn't mind the government offering some type of tax incentive for it.
It's a screw the hourly worker bill. This would force companies to pay overtime after 32 hours instead of 40. So instead of getting that 40 hours a week you will get 32. I will hire more people to make sure I don't pay overtime.

Last edited:

It’s more about the impact it will have on hourly workers in regards to overtime. So instead of getting 38-40 hours a week, most will start getting 30-32.

One company I know of decided to go to a 4-10 schedule after many years of a 5-8 schedule. Turns out the hourly union workers were so used to only working about 6 productive hours a day (with lunch and breaks) that they still only worked 6 hours a day after the change. The company’s management is still clueless to this day that they actually lost one productive day each week.

It's a screw the hourly worker bill. This would force companies to pay overtime after 32 hours instead of 40. So instead of getting that 40 hours a week you will get 32. I will hire more people to make sure I don't pay overtime.
has getting hours ever been an issue? Or putting it another way if people are already having to work overtime with 40 hours, it seems like businesses are not able to go out and just hire more workers to keep them off of overtime.

right now the issue is you can't get enough workers, 32 hours makes people more flexible.

and I believe most of these bills have proposed a "solution" to the pay issue, and thats where the bill(s) fall apart. The pay has to stay the same from 40 to 32.

It’s more about the impact it will have on hourly workers in regards to overtime. So instead of getting 38-40 hours a week, most will start getting 30-32.
see my post above, are people having an issue trying to get 38 or 40 hours of work? Seems like now businesses are scrambling for workers and getting 40 hours still shouldn't be an issue.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
has getting hours ever been an issue? Or putting it another way if people are already having to work overtime with 40 hours, it seems like businesses are not able to go out and just hire more workers to keep them off of overtime.

right now the issue is you can't get enough workers, 32 hours makes people more flexible.

and I believe most of these bills have proposed a "solution" to the pay issue, and thats where the bill(s) fall apart. The pay has to stay the same from 40 to 32.
The people issue was legit an issue 12-18 months ago. Not really one now. And we certainly make moves to reduce people to below 40. It would take some time but at the end of the day workers who were getting 40 would get 32 and be screwed.

The labor crunch is easing a little, even CDL drivers have been a little easier to find. That being said, what I suspect a lot of companies would do is make exempt employees fill in the gaps where they can in-lieu of hiring additional employees or paying additional overtime.

I see many accepting that a 32 hour work week will hurt the workers. Have you accepted the same about the 40 hour work week?

When someone has to take a second job for more hours, it’s almost never at a similar pay.

I make my own hours. I work a 4 day week. Today is overflow/admin. I really like the 4 day per week schedule.

I think companies who can move to that model are smart to do so. It gives a leg up on the competition in attracting employees. I also think companies should be more flexible with their expectations. For example: allow 4 10 hours shifts rather than 5 8s.

Lastly, a savvy politician should get behind this bill and attach a rider than employees who work F/T at one job can work another job concurrently completely tax free.

100% this.

I would guess the large majority of salaried employees who work five 8's can go to four 8's or 9's without losing productivity. I only work Monday thru Thursday. Thursday is my new Friday, meaning I need to bust ass Wednesday afternoon and all day Thursday so I can log off for the weekend.

Reactions: tvolsfan
I make my own hours. I work a 4 day week. Today is overflow/admin. I really like the 4 day per week schedule.

I think companies who can move to that model are smart to do so. It gives a leg up on the competition in attracting employees. I also think companies should be more flexible with their expectations. For example: allow 4 10 hours shifts rather than 5 8s.

Lastly, a savvy politician should get behind this bill and attach a rider than employees who work F/T at one job can work another job concurrently completely tax free.
there is no way that last one would slide. You would have to put a max earning on both sides of that equation.

Otherwise I am renegotiating to have a full time salary job that pays me 100 bucks. and then I have a second job that pays my actual salary.

100% this.

I would guess the large majority of salaried employees who work five 8's can go to four 8's or 9's without losing productivity. I only work Monday thru Thursday. Thursday is my new Friday, meaning I need to bust ass Wednesday afternoon and all day Thursday so I can log off for the weekend.
so much of my time is filled with bs from middle/upper managers needing to justify their positions and salaries. Meetings for meetings sake. If cutting a day cut the bs I dealt with by 1/5 I could get a lot more done in the fewer work days/hours I had left.

Ok I'll ask the most obvious question. How does this affect hourly workers who depend on 40 hours a week pay? Are workers going to only get paid for 32 hours of work or is it expected that employers adjust their hourly wages accordingly to offset the shorter work week? Lol yeah good luck with getting companies to go along with that!

Reactions: AM64 and FLVOL_79
Id love to work 32 hours. I also see nothing to be proud of by working your life away. No way to live imo. Does that make me lazy? Don't really care. There's more to life than working.

Id love to work 32 hours. I also see nothing to be proud of by working your life away. No way to live imo. Does that make me lazy? Don't really care. There's more to life than working.

I agree. It's a weird complex some people have. Congrats you worked 70 hours last week, I enjoyed seeing my wife and daughter more.

I agree. It's a weird complex some people have. Congrats you worked 70 hours last week, I enjoyed seeing my wife and daughter more.
imo some people haven't built the best lives, so they hide behind their work.

Ok I'll ask the most obvious question. How does this affect hourly workers who depend on 40 hours a week pay? Are workers going to only get paid for 32 hours of work or is it expected that employers adjust their hourly wages accordingly to offset the shorter work week? Lol yeah good luck with getting companies to go along with that!

There will be many different reactions depending on the type of industry. Some will cut everyone to 32hrs and hire more people or have exempt employees cover the slack. Others will just pay the overtime starting at 32 hrs.

We'll just pay the OT and charge it back to the customers.

There will be many different reactions depending on the type of industry. Some will cut everyone to 32hrs and hire more people or have exempt employees cover the slack. Others will just pay the overtime starting at 32 hrs.

We'll just pay the OT and charge it back to the customers.
I thought there was a shortage of "willing" workers? Cutting hours back to 32 is like reducing the workforce by 20%. Sounds like another great democratic plan.

If you work 32 hours, why would you get paid for 40?

VN Store

Back