32-hour workweek bill reintroduced in Congress

Ok so salaried employees get an extra day at home but what about the non salary employees? My job would essentially be cut to 32 hours/week, as would the majority of hourly jobs. So now I have to go out and find a part time job.

Why are you asking me this? I never said cut your hours.

Companies/employers would be required to pay overtime above 32 hours. You really think they wouldn’t cut hours?

No. Again. I never said cut hours. I never said pass a law. I don't support the current laws, even.

Is this sarcasm? My HS teachers were at school from 7:30 to 3:15 with lunches and free periods.
That was your perception. If you have a teacher in your family, ask them what kind of hours they put in. My fiancé regularly works 50+ hours per week.

Reactions: AM64
That was your perception. If you have a teacher in your family, ask them what kind of hours they put in. My fiancé regularly works 50+ hours per week.

Maybe your fiance is. I can promise you with 100% certainty my teachers were nowhere near 50. Maybe a 1st year teacher building out his/her lesson plans was over 40. They had TA's to do all the busy work, like grading homework and tests.

Maybe your fiance is. I can promise you with 100% certainty my teachers were nowhere near 50. Maybe a 1st year teacher building out his/her lesson plans was over 40. They had TA's to do all the busy work, like grading homework and tests.
Lol

Reactions: hog88
It's a screw the hourly worker bill. This would force companies to pay overtime after 32 hours instead of 40. So instead of getting that 40 hours a week you will get 32. I will hire more people to make sure I don't pay overtime.
That's another way for Biden to inflate the numbers to look like he added more jobs

I'm trying to be nice. You'd have to be an idiot at my HS to need to put in any regular time outside of the 35 hrs they were at school. My math teacher was just showing up and opening the book and teaching the lesson. He taught it 4x/yr and had a math degree. Of course that's how he was and should have been doing it. What on earth would he be foing doing for work before and after school? Hanging around a few minutes to see if students needed to talk to him and then not doing anything until 7:50 the next morning.

I'm trying to be nice. You'd have to be an idiot at my HS to need to put in any regular time outside of the 35 hrs they were at school. My math teacher was just showing up and opening the book and teaching the lesson. He taught it 4x/yr and had a math degree. Of course that's how he was and should have been doing it. What on earth would he be foing doing for work before and after school? Hanging around a few minutes to see if students needed to talk to him and then not doing anything until 7:50 the next morning.
Ok. Your observations of a single lazy math teacher is indicative of all teachers’ work ethic.

Try actually having a conversation with a teacher who isn’t a lazy POS.

Ok. Your observations of a single lazy math teacher is indicative of all teachers’ work ethic.

Try actually having a conversation with a teacher who isn’t a lazy POS.

Who said he was lazy? He was a good teacher. I knew him very well. He lived down the street from me. He went to my church. I took 2 classes from him. Again, I ask, what was he supposed to have been doing off hours? He was getting the job done. No tests to grade. No curriculum to prepare unless they give you a class you never taught before. So what?

Who said he was lazy? He was a good teacher. I knew him very well. He lived down the street from me. He went to my church. I took 2 classes from him. Again, I ask, what was he supposed to have been doing off hours? He was getting the job done.
Doing the bare minimum is lazy. Do you do the bare minimum at your job?

Eh, its not lazyness. Several studies have shown that production stays up, and down time goes down. Ends up saving the company money. the 5/40 has never been based on anything solid that says "this is best".

I am against forcing it, but wouldn't mind the government offering some type of tax incentive for it.

are the studies based on 4/32 or more like 4/40?

He was getting the job done. No tests to grade. No curriculum to prepare unless they give you a class you never taught before. So what?

as someone who's taught for over 30 years - this assumption is incorrect. only the laziest of teachers would not continually prep and update their curriculum for classes they teach over and over. I make changes every semester even if it's a class I've taught for 10 years.

as someone who's taught for over 30 years - this assumption is incorrect. only the laziest of teachers would not continually prep and update their curriculum for classes they teach over and over. I make changes every semester even if it's a class I've taught for 10 years.

You're a college professor and are probably teaching 15 hrs a week.

I'm sure he was on top of any changes with parabolas, even when he was close to retirement. They have admins to help you stay on top of that. That's what my brother in law does now, after 15 years of teaching (Spanish) for 35 hrs a week.

Doing the bare minimum is lazy. Do you do the bare minimum at your job?

I do a good job. I don't count hours.

Still haven't explained what he was supposed to be doing for an extra 3+ hrs a day. That is a lot of fkn time to fill.

You're a college professor and are probably teaching 15 hrs a week.

I'm sure he was on top of any changes with parabolas, even when he was close to retirement. They have admins to help you stay on top of that. That's what my brother in law does now, after 15 years of teaching (Spanish) for 35 hrs a week.
So now you’re an expert on the time teachers put in to do their job.

So now you’re an expert on the time teachers put in to do their job.

?

I never said your lady wasn't working 50. You can't wrap your mind around a good teacher doing 35. So who is the pain the ass, here? The guy who is open to both being a reality, or the guy arguing with one of these truths?

I don't think you went to college? Professors don't actually spend that much time in class. I'm not dogging bham. That's how it is. Real research and more class prep because it's higher learning.

I do a good job. I don't count hours.

Still haven't explained what he was supposed to be doing for an extra 3+ hrs a day. That is a lot of fkn time to fill.
Morning and afternoon assigned duties.
Ticket taker for any of the hundreds of sporting events during a school year.
Mandatory meetings with his advisement students.
Mandatory weekly PL meetings.
Mandatory conferencing with parents of failing students.
Grading (I don't know of any high schools with TAs)

Have NEVER known a teacher to work less than 40 hrs a week.
I would say 50 hrs is about the average.

Morning and afternoon assigned duties.
Ticket taker for any of the hundreds of sporting events during a school year.
Mandatory meetings with his advisement students.
Mandatory weekly PL meetings.
Mandatory conferencing with parents of failing students.
Grading (I don't know of any high schools with TAs)

Have NEVER known a teacher to work less than 40 hrs a week.
I would say 50 hrs is about the average.

Every teacher at my HS had TA's for grading. I had that job for a semester. Free labor and it's good experience for the student. Why waste a teacher on that ****, my God?

I can tell you that I never met with a teacher outside of school with my parents. Your district might have all that **** ad nauseum. But a lot if it is unnecessary and mine didn't. You literally had to rush to see a teacher after the final bell or you might miss your chance. I had a GF on the track team. We'd go practice for 30 to 45 minutes and then walk around the school aimlessly making out. We rarely ran into teachers. I'm just speaking from my experience at a school with a great reputation, no less. Good in sports and academics. Must be the exception to the rule.

Every teacher at my HS had TA's for grading. I had that job for a semester. Free labor and it's good experience for the student. Why waste a teacher on that ****, my God?

I can tell you that I never met with a teacher outside of school with my parents. Your district might have all that **** ad nauseum. But it's unnecessary and mine didn't. You literally had to rush to see a teacher after the final bell or you'd miss your chance. I had a GF on the track team. We'd go practice for 45 minutes and then walk around the school aimlessly making out. We rarely ran into teachers. I'm just speaking from my experience, at a school with a reputation no less. Good in sports and academics.
Not the case in any district in which I have ever worked.
The high school teachers in my current district teach 6 classes in a 7 period day. They average teaching between 150-180 students per day. Almost none have just one single prep. The average would be about 2.5 preps. They have one "free" period of 55 minutes in which to perp for those 6 classes, grade papers/tests of 150-180 students, attend mandatory meetings, and all without the assistance of a TA. All teachers also have at least one week of assigned morning or afternoon duty per month which extends beyond the "8 hour" work day.

Not the case in any district in which I have ever worked.
The high school teachers in my current district teach 6 classes in a 7 period day. They average teaching between 150-180 students per day. Almost none have just one single prep. The average would be about 2.5 preps. They have one "free" period of 55 minutes in which to perp for those 6 classes, grade papers/tests of 150-180 students, attend mandatory meetings, and all without the assistance of a TA. All teachers also have at least one week of assigned morning or afternoon duty per month which extends beyond the "8 hour" work day.
According to huff, that can all be done in 35 hours or less.

VN Store

Back