Grading Bob’s call

AdoptedVOL

I know I’m about to get lit up. That’s OK and not new. 😀

I’ve been a fan of Bob since he replaced King Ward. I listen to games on radio often and he’s done a good job following a true VOL legend.

I’ll give Bob an A- on this call. I got excitement during the call but not that jumping up and down screaming I don’t like. He also filled in with good info (2nd INT and a walk-on). He also got time and location on field correct. Great call.

I didn’t like Kesling… at all. He’s grown a bit on me. To be fair to the man the last couple of decades of football haven’t been the easiest to watch. And he followed a legend. He’s never going to close to Ward but he’s not even close to the worst in the conference
I feel like he’s had just slightly more pep lately.

Regardless I’m happy for Bob that he gets to call a good football team again at the end of his career.

I think a lot of it is personal preference. I like the way Bob calls a game. Some people prefer Mike Keith's style..I think he sounds like a tween that's just won tickets to see Taylor Swift.

I do miss Tim Priest, they balanced each other well. Tim was a little more excitable and was quite funny at times.

Listening to some of Bob’s earlier games (99-01) he had more energy. While still not great, it was better than recent years.

Not sure if it’s age, or health? I know he had some issues not long ago.

It’s just bland. I’m sure he’s a great person, but I think it’s time for some new blood. 1999 to 2024 is quite a while.

I feel like he’s had just slightly more pep lately.

Regardless I’m happy for Bob that he gets to call a good football team again at the end of his career.
Not a Kesling fan, but he's far better than most other teams' announcers. Also, he endured 12-14 years of pretty sad Tennessee football, after following The Voice. :cool:

I know I’m about to get lit up. That’s OK and not new. 😀

I’ve been a fan of Bob since he replaced King Ward. I listen to games on radio often and he’s done a good job following a true VOL legend.

I’ll give Bob an A- on this call. I got excitement during the call but not that jumping up and down screaming I don’t like. He also filled in with good info (2nd INT and a walk-on). He also got time and location on field correct. Great call.

Bawahaha.
Yes John Ward is the king.

I think a lot of it is personal preference. I like the way Bob calls a game. Some people prefer Mike Keith's style..I think he sounds like a tween that's just won tickets to see Taylor Swift.

I do miss Tim Priest, they balanced each other well. Tim was a little more excitable and was quite funny at times.
I don’t like Bob and Mike Keith is even worse for me.

Bob tends to not give the down and distance between plays or he’ll repeat it three times. With various yardage needed for a first down. He calls 3 yards and a cloud of dust about the same as a 35 yard gain.

You can’t listen to him and know which team has a big play developing. He needs to be more of a homer. The crowd reaction is a far better indication of what’s happening in the situation than his calls.

If he won’t retire, at least get a new play-by-play announcer and let Bob be a second color guy.

VN Store

Back