Grading Bob’s call

I know I’m about to get lit up. That’s OK and not new. 😀

I’ve been a fan of Bob since he replaced King Ward. I listen to games on radio often and he’s done a good job following a true VOL legend.

I’ll give Bob an A- on this call. I got excitement during the call but not that jumping up and down screaming I don’t like. He also filled in with good info (2nd INT and a walk-on). He also got time and location on field correct. Great call.

Everyone looked so excited. Except for him

I had to go back and listen to the best of John Ward calls. He certainly didn’t have Mike Keith or Juan Ward energy. He did however have the “35, 30, 25, 20, 15, 20, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 give him 6” schtick down pretty well. 😀

Ward was a legend and great announcer for VOL Nation.

I simply believe this Bob call on the INT was pretty special.
Agreed! On both Bob's interception call, and what made John Ward special. He let us know what happened, and often with a verbal wink.

Back when the only chance to see video of a game was Sunday's "The Bill Battle Show," the plays always looked exactly the way John had called them the day before.

Last edited:
Everyone looked so excited. Except for him
HE'S WORKING!

I'm amazed, seeing both views together, that he called out the yard line of the interception so effortlessly and immediately! He couldn't have done that if he was reacting in-the-moment as a fan. Total professional. I'll bet among his peers he's considered one of the best working today.

I found nothing wrong with that call. His words accurately portrayed what happened on the field. He got Will Brooks’s name correct as well.

What I don’t like is when he’s extremely vague with his calls, which happens way too often. He always says “that play gained a couple,” but a “couple” to Bob is anywhere between 1 and 6 yards.

Bobs call was as if Vols just sealed a 56-0 victory over New Orleans A and M. YOU JUST BEAT ALABAMA Bob. He didn't even have the excitement of a neutral announcer doing a national broadcast. I don't need Joe Tessitore level excitement...but come on. It's a game sealing pick vs Alabama. D- and that's being generous. I can just hear his call after winning national title game. "That's it. Tennessee wins the national championship. Stay tuned for more postgame brought to you by Pilot Truck Stops."

Reactions: Volfan1000
Listening to some of Bob’s earlier games (99-01) he had more energy. While still not great, it was better than recent years.

Not sure if it’s age, or health? I know he had some issues not long ago.

It’s just bland. I’m sure he’s a great person, but I think it’s time for some new blood. 1999 to 2024 is quite a while.
Exactly where I stand. I've heard he's one of the kindest human beings.

But as John Ward once said "it's time"

Past time actually.

VN Store

Back