Grading Bob’s call

I know I’m about to get lit up. That’s OK and not new. 😀

I’ve been a fan of Bob since he replaced King Ward. I listen to games on radio often and he’s done a good job following a true VOL legend.

I’ll give Bob an A- on this call. I got excitement during the call but not that jumping up and down screaming I don’t like. He also filled in with good info (2nd INT and a walk-on). He also got time and location on field correct. Great call.

That was a good call. Sean McDonough is my favorite TV guy, so I enjoyed the TV broadcast. Bob is not the greatest of all time, but he doesn't act like a moron either.

Reactions: AdoptedVOL
In the words of Charles Barkley, Kesling is turrible.
Hardly ever paints the picture of the formation or yards gained/lost on any given play.
So many times I've heard him say "Sampson up the middle for a few yards," only to follow with "So, it'll be 2nd and 9."

He's more suited for the old JP network crew than he is for the Vol Radio Network, IMO.

Last edited:
I think a lot of it is personal preference. I like the way Bob calls a game. Some people prefer Mike Keith's style..I think he sounds like a tween that's just won tickets to see Taylor Swift.

I do miss Tim Priest, they balanced each other well. Tim was a little more excitable and was quite funny at times.
I cannot stand Mike Keith! His "excited" voice is like nails on a chalkboard. "SAAAAAAACK"

Bob and Pat are dreadful to listen to. I used to love the radio call, but now I cannot stand it.

Bob has lost all energy he used to have, and Pat is just awful. If I wanted to listen to the game with somebody as negative as Pat, I would listen with my negavol brother in law instead. His color commentary only comes in shades of grey.

Blob is just as boring and stale as the entire broadcast is, same format, same music, same worn out slogans, can still hear Tim Priest's question to the player interview ". . . . take us through that plaayhh", whole broadcast format needs to be scrapped and bring in an up and coming play by play announcer with a fresh perspective.

Bob would make an decent neutral network announcer like ABC/CBS/ESPN/etc.

He is awfully boring as a home team announcer.
Boring and slow to get information out. I can listen to the crowd and tell if it was a big play or not long before he gives any indication of what actually happened. I was traveling during the 22 bama game and got so frustrated that I tuned into a bama station just to get the information in real time.....their whining and disappointment was an added bonus.

Reactions: lostsheep
Not a bad call. Sounds like a guy calling one of 162 MLB games.. John Ward was self trained and came off as more of a fan than someone who was trained to act as a non-biased observer.

I doubt we’ll see another John Ward. I can’t imagine anyone with his background getting noticed and working their way up through the decades.

The worst thing about the radio broadcasts, last year and again this year, is that Pat repeatedly steps on Bob's call by just reacting in real-time rather than letting the play get described to the listener, and then providing his color after the fact.

Bob: "Sampson breaks it outside at the 20... gets hit... bounces off..."

Pat: [interrupting] "TOUCHDOWN!" [reacting like a fan instead of playing his part on the broadcast team]

Bob: [continuing to let the listeners know what happened] "... stiff-arms the cornerback... takes a hit from the safety... spins away... dives toward the end zone... HE'S IN! TOUCHDOWN, TENNESSEE!"

How would people feel if watching the game on TV, when Sampson got to the 20 yard line, the video suddenly dropped its 5-second delay and jumped ahead to show Dylan in the endzone? In effect, that's what Pat is doing to the listener.

Last edited:
Reactions: DuckInAPen
I'm surprised at how many posters complained about Bob's energy level. Really? Does everyone around you have to feel what you're feeling?

I only want one thing from broadcast coverage of a game, whether it's radio or TV--tell me or show me what happened! That's all I want to know.

I don't care how you feel about it, what you had to eat last night, or what you think about what so-and-so back in the studio is wearing today. If Lifetime Network wins a contract to cover football games, I'm sure they'll be eager to sign you to do the broadcast.

And unless TV coverage has improved drastically since 2016, radio does the better job of not only telling me what happened, but who substituted for whom, what's going on between two players on the opposite side of the field, and who is injured. TV will actually keep me from seeing 2 or 3 plays a game because they're still replaying the previous play! As for substitutions, why not show who's coming in while the boys are gabbing in the box. Do we have to have a camera showing them talking to know that they're talking?

The boys in the booth can talk about one thing while the camera is showing me something else. I may be a guy but I can still handle that level of multitasking!

Not to brag, but I can also read while using the bathroom.

I don't care about the "energy."
All I want is for someone to paint the picture of what's happening with each play. Specifics such as down & distance, time on the clock, personnel grouping, backfield/TE/WR alignments, position on the field (both yard line and hash), and approximate gain/loss on each play would be nice.
My issue with Bob is him using generalities instead of specifics. It is lazy broadcasting IMO.

Reactions: adam.vol
I'm surprised at how many posters complained about Bob's energy level. Really? Does everyone around you have to feel what you're feeling?

I only want one thing from broadcast coverage of a game, whether it's radio or TV--tell me or show me what happened! That's all I want to know.

I don't care how you feel about it, what you had to eat last night, or what you think about what so-and-so back in the studio is wearing today. If Lifetime Network wins a contract to cover football games, I'm sure they'll be eager to sign you to do the broadcast.

And unless TV coverage has improved drastically since 2016, radio does the better job of not only telling me what happened, but who substituted for whom, what's going on between two players on the opposite side of the field, and who is injured. TV will actually keep me from seeing 2 or 3 plays a game because they're still replaying the previous play! As for substitutions, why not show who's coming in while the boys are gabbing in the box. Do we have to have a camera showing them talking to know that they're talking?

The boys in the booth can talk about one thing while the camera is showing me something else. I may be a guy but I can still handle that level of multitasking!

Not to brag, but I can also read while using the bathroom.
I had to go back and listen to the best of John Ward calls. He certainly didn’t have Mike Keith or Juan Ward energy. He did however have the “35, 30, 25, 20, 15, 20, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 give him 6” schtick down pretty well. 😀

Ward was a legend and great announcer for VOL Nation.

I simply believe this Bob call on the INT was pretty special.

Reactions: BruisedOrange
I like Bob as well. He’s no John Ward, but who is?

And people want to replace him with Mike Keith. his bellowing of “SACK”and over exuberant calls Make me cringe.

VN Store

Back