9/11

I say the same about those who believe staying over there would do anything productive. We've radicalized more in the past 20 than we ever did before. The extreme over reaction to 9/11 absolutely destroyed this nation.
Source?

It looks like we are as much to blame as China. We were helping to fund this research. So if you want to be pissed at them be pissed at us. Probably why neither Trump or Biden have done anything about it. I mean Trump called it the China virus but that wasn't a response. We are as guilty as they are IMO.
"We"? You mean like the royal we? As in Fauci? If that is the case, then yeah, 'we' are guilty.

Reactions: AM64
SpaceCoastVol

I apologize for hijacking this topic last night, but you probably know I have strong feelings about the Chinese and their introducing covid to the world.

I guess it's much easier to focus on an event that happens in one short violent period than one that happens more slowly. For most of us we will remember what we were doing on 9/11 or when JFK was assassinated. My wife was off on her two week active duty assignment at the time, but I was more immediately concerned about my brother since he was flying internationally for Delta. As I recall, he was stuck in London for a few days. My younger son had me pick him up early at school that day because he was concerned for his mom ... she was working in the hospital at Camp Lejeune, so I knew she was safe.

This one is a good overall perspective, but the one I was looking for covered the nuts and bolts a lot better - ties to US funding and Fauci and that gain of function work is illegal in the US. It specifically covered the point that other researchers felt that the gains from studying gain of function did not offset the potential risks which we should know very well now.

I guess my real frustration is that we've lived with the threat of nuclear warfare and potential accidents for something like 70 years, and a lot of us lived through the Cold War days. Yet we treat this not as a potential precursor to biological warfare, but as a lab rat oopsie. I'm not proposing war against China, but why in the hell are we not at least screaming for the Wuhan lab to be demolished and for reparations? The whole world should be demanding accountability first from the Chinese and then from any "research" organizations assisting the Chinese in their blundering (we assume) ways. What we are showing is our weakness - that we are too bound to the Chinese for manufacturing we stupidly gave them. We should be demanding that biological testing be at least on the same footing as safeguarding nuclear weapons and their testing.

20 years. 9/11..a few days later and I wouldn't get to take a shower for almost 4 months. Thanks Allah!

Reactions: StarRaider
SpaceCoastVol

I apologize for hijacking this topic last night, but you probably know I have strong feelings about the Chinese and their introducing covid to the world.

I guess it's much easier to focus on an event that happens in one short violent period than one that happens more slowly. For most of us we will remember what we were doing on 9/11 or when JFK was assassinated. My wife was off on her two week active duty assignment at the time, but I was more immediately concerned about my brother since he was flying internationally for Delta. As I recall, he was stuck in London for a few days. My younger son had me pick him up early at school that day because he was concerned for his mom ... she was working in the hospital at Camp Lejeune, so I knew she was safe.
No amigo, it's all good. I was just feeling a little melancholy after the day and the Big Orange loss and felt like sharing. No apology necessary.

Reactions: AM64 and StarRaider
This one is a good overall perspective, but the one I was looking for covered the nuts and bolts a lot better - ties to US funding and Fauci and that gain of function work is illegal in the US. It specifically covered the point that other researchers felt that the gains from studying gain of function did not offset the potential risks which we should know very well now.

I guess my real frustration is that we've lived with the threat of nuclear warfare and potential accidents for something like 70 years, and a lot of us lived through the Cold War days. Yet we treat this not as a potential precursor to biological warfare, but as a lab rat oopsie. I'm not proposing war against China, but why in the hell are we not at least screaming for the Wuhan lab to be demolished and for reparations? The whole world should be demanding accountability first from the Chinese and then from any "research" organizations assisting the Chinese in their blundering (we assume) ways. What we are showing is our weakness - that we are too bound to the Chinese for manufacturing we stupidly gave them. We should be demanding that biological testing be at least on the same footing as safeguarding nuclear weapons and their testing.
When I was in the Navy, it was stated policy that an attack on the US would be responded to 'in kind'. For those purposes, a biological attack was on the same level as a nuclear attack IIRC. And I wholeheartedly agree with the second part, even to the point that I think Fauci should be deeply investigated and sent to prison if he is remotely linked to this... ESPECIALLY if he was funding/doing things abroad that were illegal here. I think if the truth ever comes out, he will not be remembered as the person he thinks he is.

Thank you for that. I wasn't looking for kudos or thanks. I just wanted to add some perspective from an 'up close' point of view.
I was on a plane going from RI to Nashville that morning and they put us down in Cincinnati or where ever that airport is in northern ky.... then I fortunately got a rental and drove home. Picked up my boys from school and we ended up going to my oldest's scout troop meeting. He was the troop chaplain at the time and I remember him leading a prayer with the rest of the troop to start that meeting. Now he a surgeon in a NY hospital.

If Trump was still POTUS he would be talking about this too. With Biden, it goes practically ignored.

Every time I remember Trump addressing the source he was belittled and basically called a racist. It's almost like they Chinese involved became a new and very well protected diversity group. We'll probably never get to the bottom of why the Chinese are protected, but there are certainly plenty of candidates starting with Trump humiliation, to protecting our guilty, and probably ending with we shouldn't point fingers at the people who own our industry.

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
No amigo, it's all good. I was just feeling a little melancholy after the day and the Big Orange loss and felt like sharing. No apology necessary.

From the time I climbed up in my pine tree in 1952 to watch planes land at Tyndall, I had no doubts what I wanted to be. Until my dad came home from Korea and we moved to Tyndall, I'm not sure I even understood he was a pilot, but knowing then and watching P-51s, T-33s, and F86s made my decision. My brother says he wanted to be a pilot when we flew from Nashville to Kansas City to visit grandparents - probably in 1951; that would have made me 6 and he would have been 4. We had white suits and flew TWA on a Super G Constellation. My brother got perfect vision, and I had to settle for engineering, but it never diminished my interest in planes and flying.

Anyway one of the thoughts that most haunted me right after 9/11 was that of pilots who might be instructed to intercept and shoot down an airliner. My brother (like my dad) had primarily flown fighters for air defense until he retired and flew for Delta. I couldn't and still can't even imagine what it might have been like for a pilot to intercept a plane perhaps being flown by someone he had known and flew with just months or years before. Considering what happened on 9/11, it would be hard to see any military or airline pilot being unaffected.

VN Store

Back