A student who removed thousands of 9/11 flags from a college memorial said it was a protest against Islamophobia and US military interventions

I was thinking about this yesterday. Realistically, no one under the age of 30 has any real perspective on what happened on 9/11.

Think about this for a moment.

When you were 10 years old, what tragedy was going on in the world, and how were you affected by it? For me, it was Vietnam and the assassinations of MLK and RFK. (Ok... I was really 8, but you get the idea). When I was born in 1960, the Korean war had ended a mere 7 years earlier so THAT is a closer event in my lifetime as compared to someone under the age of 30 and their 'closeness' to 9/11. The 'student' in the above linked article has zero clue as to what happened on that day.

This isn't the way to go about making your point. What an idiot.

However, I kinda wonder about how healthy it is to still be hanging onto 9/11. I mean, I get it if you are a New Yorker or if you lost someone but it's probably time for Washington University to move on, right? 9/11 was a terrible, terrible event that led to even more destruction in the aftermath. The creation of the DHS, the war on terror, the PATRIOT Act, invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan...all of these things have been major trouble for the lives, liberty, and prosperity of Americans, not to mention the Islamaphobia that is still pervasive. This all came about because of how we felt at the time. We acted out of fear and made bad, emotional decisions and every year we rekindle those same emotions. It doesn't seem very traditionally American to dwell on our victimhood. IDK, just some random thoughts.

All of that being said, I personally do like the 9/11 memorials and get caught up in the emotions just like everybody else.

However, I kinda wonder about how healthy it is to still be hanging onto 9/11. I mean, I get it if you are a New Yorker or if you lost someone but it's probably time for Washington University to move on, right? 9/11 was a terrible, terrible event that led to even more destruction in the aftermath. The creation of the DHS, the war on terror, the PATRIOT Act, invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan...all of these things have been major trouble for the lives, liberty, and prosperity of Americans, not to mention the Islamaphobia that is still pervasive. This all came about because of how we felt at the time. We acted out of fear and made bad, emotional decisions and every year we rekindle those same emotions. It doesn't seem very traditionally American to dwell on our victimhood. IDK, just some random thoughts.

All of that being said, I personally do like the 9/11 memorials and get caught up in the emotions just like everybody else.

I still get angry on Dec 7th. Not that I hate the Japanese, but what happen to our people. That said, I can't stand FDR, and I think Bush made tons of bad moves.

Last edited:
Goodness, yes! Turn him loose at Arlington with a handful of Hefty's...

Ring the grounds with volunteers from former / retired Armed Forces. Then holler "go".

Pay-Per-View caliber stuff.

Part of me wants to be disgusted by this idea, part of me wants to say "Shut up and take my money!"

Would it be on streaming too? I don't have cable/satellite

Part of me wants to be disgusted by this idea, part of me wants to say "Shut up and take my money!"

Would it be on streaming too? I don't have cable/satellite

No chance its not on twitter within 5 sec of it starting. I would love to see the fact check a facebook video of it would get.

I get what you are getting at, I really do.

But 9/11, and everything that comes with it, is never going away.

You serious I still get pissed off when I read or see a documentary on Pearl Harbor.

I was thinking about this yesterday. Realistically, no one under the age of 30 has any real perspective on what happened on 9/11.

Think about this for a moment.

When you were 10 years old, what tragedy was going on in the world, and how were you affected by it? For me, it was Vietnam and the assassinations of MLK and RFK. (Ok... I was really 8, but you get the idea). When I was born in 1960, the Korean war had ended a mere 7 years earlier so THAT is a closer event in my lifetime as compared to someone under the age of 30 and their 'closeness' to 9/11. The 'student' in the above linked article has zero clue as to what happened on that day.

They're not being taught about or being taught that its our fault.

They're not being taught about or being taught that its our fault.

I asked my kids (7th and 5th grade) what they talked about in school. They were both told that 9/11 happened because people who don't like America's influence on spreading democracy and freedom wanted to scare us into stopping. This was their biggest and most panful attack, and it didn't stop us.

Pretty even keel.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols

VN Store

Back