Agree or Disagree on TV Shows that people on the internet like.

MAD

Arsenal FC, Detroit Lions
I’m always looking for series, this seems like a decent list to get some suggestions.

A ranking of the 50 best television shows of all time, based on a cumulative score derived from IMDb users, Rotten Tomatoes critics and users, Metacritic users, and other sources.

IMG_9063.jpeg

How many of these have you seen?
Agree with the list?
Which series are you surprised made the list and not make the list?
Which are must see?

Reactions: McDad
Seinfeld at 30 while Friends is 15 is a travesty. I wouldn't be upset if Seinfeld was #1. I do agree that Breaking Bad should be #1 though. If True Detective was only the 1st season, like Band of Brothers is only 1 season, then it would be top 3 imo.

Mindhunter was great but surprised to see it on this list due to it being unfinished. I think Barry should be there somewhere also. I've seen 11/50.

Reactions: Pennheel and MAD
A lot of recency bias in this. Seems like a lot of shows that predate these reviews sites could be on there. For instance I love the Mandalorian but I would not think it’s a top 50 show of all time.

What I really learned from this is I dont watch that much television because I’ve only watched about 5 all the way through and only sampled about 5 more.

Last edited:
I’m always looking for series, this seems like a decent list to get some suggestions.

A ranking of the 50 best television shows of all time, based on a cumulative score derived from IMDb users, Rotten Tomatoes critics and users, Metacritic users, and other sources.

View attachment 657171

Agree with the list?
Which are must see?

Putting mini-series on here with long-running TV shows is such a bad idea. Might as well throw movies up here, too. That being said, Lonesome Dove is the best mini-series ever.

I never watched Heartstopper, but I like everything else in the top 30 except Friends and House, so pretty good list. But where is Arrested Development? No sketch comedy?

Reactions: marvin616 and MAD
Fine....but being a curmudgeon I notice the shows I love that are missing (unless I missed seeing 'em here):

Andy Griffith, M.A.S.H., Northern Exposure, etc. :cool:

The list seems to be a 1990’s-current. They throw in the Twilight Zone, though?!?

M.A.S.H should be on the list if it is really an all time list.

Reactions: volfanbill and MAD
Justified way too low.

While I've enjoyed Stanger Things top 10 ever? I can't make sense of that one.

I clearly need to give Chernobyl a look.

Reactions: LAVol1 and MAD
The list seems to be a 1990’s-current. They throw in the Twilight Zone, though?!?

M.A.S.H should be on the list if it is really an all time list.

It's all just based on user ratings on IMDb and MASH is an 8.5, which I guess doesn't make the cut. (Justified is 8.6)

BTW, when the MASH music came on, it was time to go to bed. I can't believe people watched that show. So boring. And I did watch and like some programming from the 70's, though it was a little before my time. I've tried to sit through a little MASH here and there as an adult and I can't do it.

Reactions: Behr and MAD
The list definitely has a bias towards recent shows, but let's be honest....TV was largely dog **** forever. TV became as good/better than movies this century, and it had previously been a distant runner-up. Sopranos was the start of premium TV and that was 1999.

It's all just based on user ratings on IMDb and MASH is an 8.5, which I guess doesn't make the cut. (Justified is 8.6)

BTW, when the MASH music came on, it was time to go to bed. I can't believe people watched that show. So boring. And I did watch and like some programming from the 70's, though it was a little before my time. I've tried to sit through a little MASH here and there as an adult and I can't do it.

I’m not advocating for MASH but hard to ignore its finale did Super Bowl numbers. Granted there was less competition but no other episode comes close.

2 more to consider: The Simpsons (should be on this list) & All In The Family

I’m not advocating for MASH but hard to ignore its finale did Super Bowl numbers. Granted there was less competition but no other episode comes close.

Certainly a list ranked by TV purists would look different and have more representation from the distant past. First 9 seasons of Simpsons was an incredible run, and makes it a 1st ballot HOF show. It's still going and that watered down the show's IMDb score.

Reactions: MAD

Where is Alfred Hitchcock? And not a single Star Trek show?

Where is Alfred Hitchcock? And not a single Star Trek show?

The problem with the original Star Trek is what huff pointed out - it is so dated due to the time it was created. Technology has advanced television so much the last 30 years - also an "erosion" of standards on TV (what is acceptable now on TV was completely verboten in the past) has made things more dramatic/entertaining. Could you imagine pitching Breaking Bad or GoT in the 60's to a TV exec?

I was surprised that the newer Battlestar was on the list, though. I watched it but not sure it is top 50 for me.

I was trying to think of some other seriously classic tv shows that after more rumination came to mind.

I Love Lucy
Mary Tyler Moore

A few more I thought of that surprised me a little in their omission are Curb Your Enthusiasm, Arrested Development, South Park, Chapelle Show, Twin Peaks, 30 Rock and Cheers. All were not only popular with audiences but, as best I can recall, critically acclaimed as well.

Last edited:
The most under-appreciated show of all time, IMHO, is Preacher. It's so weird and out there, and never stops changing or gets stale, and then it's over after 4 tight seasons with a conclusion. Obviously, some people can't get over the sacreligious aspect, but it's a must-try for any weirdos who have tolerance for that.

View attachment 657171

Agree with the list?
Which are must see?
Any list with out Dexter can’t be accurate

Reactions: Pennheel and MAD

VN Store

Back