Agree or Disagree on TV Shows that people on the internet like.

Maybe this century.
Archie Bunker would be pissed
And Ed Sullivan
And genie sp.
And Maude
Too many good old shows.
Twilight zone made it because it's still on
Only whippersnappers voted

The only old shows that should be on the list are shows that people still enjoy watching. Again, these aren't greatest shows of all time rankings, it's user preferences.

I'm not surprised to see Twilight Zone on there, because it's still re-watchable. I've watched at least a dozen episodes with my Dad the last few years. I don't think a lot of people are spending their media time on the Andy Griffith show. Its greatness is beyond reproach, but you shouldn't expect people voting on personal preference in 2024 to make ratings that match its historical greatness. That's not the assignment. Ed Sullivan Show? When was the last time anybody watched an episode of that?

The only old shows that should be on the list are shows that people still enjoy watching. Again, these aren't greatest shows of all time rankings, it's user preferences.

I'm not surprised to see Twilight Zone on there, because it's still re-watchable. I've watched at least a dozen episodes with my Dad the last few years. I don't think a lot of people are spending their media time on the Andy Griffith show. Its greatness is beyond reproach, but you shouldn't expect people voting on personal preference in 2024 to make ratings that match its historical greatness. That's not the assignment. Ed Sullivan Show? When was the last time anybody watched an episode of that?
Thanks for suckin all the fun out this thread with all your rules.

List sucks without Cheers.

Reactions: GroverCleveland
Rules? I'm just talking about what the list actually means.
I only read 'Ranking the best TV shows of all time' and didn't think about what else it might actually mean, because that seems like rules and that would take the fun out of it if I couldn't include Cheers or Andy Griffith.

And, I was just hackin on you.

I only read 'Ranking the best TV shows of all time' and didn't think about what else it might actually mean, because that seems like rules and that would take the fun out of it if I couldn't include Cheers or Andy Griffith.

And, I was just hackin on you.

I could have killed you, Dick.

But I don't want to kill you, I wanna eat!

Lol, Awesome you picked up on that.

In Talladega Nights, Ricky Bobby says Highlander is the greatest movie of all-time. It's a funny line because it's not a good movie, but Will Ferrell probably ranks it really high knowing it's not actually good. That's Young Guns for me. Over the years, every time I watch it, it gets worse and worse but it's still awesome.

Reactions: Behr
In Talladega Nights, Ricky Bobby says Highlander is the greatest movie of all-time. It's a funny line because it's not a good movie, but Will Ferrell probably ranks it really high knowing it's not actually good. That's Young Guns for me. Over the years, every time I watch it, it gets worse and worse but it's still awesome.
I understand. It and YG2 are 2 of my all time favorites. Many quotable lines in both.

Oh you’ve done it now!

Reactions: Behr

That is the absolute Dumbest qualifier I’ve ever heard of. This isn’t huff’s lack of attention span list. It’s a biased list based on people who rate things currently on the internet, thus largely eliminating generations of television

Reactions: Go aeiou

The list should not be called "50 best shows of all time"
Maybe ,as suggested, it is a list of shows that people watch now. Or in the last 30 years.
FWIW, I turn to Ed sullivan and see who is gonna be on. If It's someone I recall I might watch it. The Beatle's debut in the US was on the Ed Sullivan show. ha, on my birthday when I was 12.

Last edited:
The list should not be called "50 best shows of all time"
Maybe ,as suggested, it is a list of shows that people watch now. Or in the last 30 years.
FWIW, I turn to Ed sullivan and see who is gonna be on. If It's someone I recall I might watch it. The Beatle's debut in the US was on the Ed Sullivan show. ha, on my birthday when I was 12.

OP clearly stated in detail how they made the list.

Last edited:
OP clearly stated in detail how they made the list.
This?
A ranking of the 50 best television shows of all time, based on a cumulative score derived from IMDb users, Rotten Tomatoes critics and users, Metacritic users, and other sources.

Sounds like the list is just a hodgepodge or cherry picking. Possibly giving one source more weight than another.

TV Guides best 50:

There are other 50 best rankings available.

TV shows have improved this century.

This?
A ranking of the 50 best television shows of all time, based on a cumulative score derived from IMDb users, Rotten Tomatoes critics and users, Metacritic users, and other sources.

Sounds like the list is just a hodgepodge or cherry picking. Possibly giving one source more weight than another.

TV Guides best 50:

There are other 50 best rankings available.

TV shows have improved this century.

You think they are cherry picking? For what reason? It's not that serious.

Greatest is not best. The TV guide is ranking greatest, which would weigh things like cultural impact, ratings dominance, etc. Greatness is resume. Best, in this case, is just a measure of how much you enjoy it.

Like look at Kareem. Maybe greatest basketball player of all time. Not the best tho. I'm picking a lot of guys over him who I think are better players. He was the best at his time, tho. Just like a lot of these old TV shows.

Bill Walton is like the miniseries on the list. Somewhere near top 5 best but nowhere near top 5 greatest

Last edited:

VN Store

Back