'20 AL OL James Robinson (UT SIGNEE)

Just curious...
The kid has offers from UT, Auburn, UGA, Mizzou, Ole Miss, aTm, Ga Tech, Illinois, Miss St, Nebraska, and Va Tech...But he's not a take in your eyes?

No offer from uga. We and a&m are his big, commitable offers from how it sounds. Have to like our chances...but then again it's Jimbo. Never can feel too comfortable with him in it.

...Cue the complaints about this guy being a three star.
Those people are just uninformed and/or looking for reasons to complain. The fact is that 247 only has 17 OG's rated 4 stars and Rivals has 14. And not a single 5 star OG on either site. In comparison there's 2-3x more OT's rated as 4 stars and with skill positions like WR there's way more than that.

With a pickup like this it all comes down to evaluation, size, ability, need, etc and our staff evaluated this kid in person and offered. And so did A&M, Auburn, Mizzou, Miss State, Ole Miss, VT, Nebraska, and others. It's a great pickup. Apparently our staff loves this kid, he's way higher on the OG board than many ranked ahead of him.

So anyone complaining tomorrow when he commits to UT can take their whining and ignorant complaints elsewhere. I'm excited to welcome this big fella to the family. GBO!

Those people are just uninformed and/or looking for reasons to complain. The fact is that 247 only has 17 OG's rated 4 stars and Rivals has 14. And not a single 5 star OG on either site. In comparison there's 2-3x more OT's rated as 4 stars and with skill positions like WR there's way more than that.

With a pickup like this it all comes down to evaluation, size, ability, need, etc and our staff evaluated this kid in person and offered. And so did A&M, Auburn, Mizzou, Miss State, Ole Miss, VT, Nebraska, and others. It's a great pickup. Apparently our staff loves this kid, he's way higher on the OG board than many ranked ahead of him.

So anyone complaining tomorrow when he commits to UT can take their whining and ignorant complaints elsewhere. I'm excited to welcome this big fella to the family. GBO!

Good info. Just not many "highly rated" OGs. Though if we can sneak either Morris or Henderson in, icing on the cake.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron Swanson
Ron, also curious where you picked up the tidbit on him being higher up on the staff's ol board. Did the same site say who else is near the top by chance?

Ron, also curious where you picked up the tidbit on him being higher up on the staff's ol board. Did the same site say who else is near the top by chance?
VQ and 247 guys saying multiple times that Chaney loves him and that UT wants him badly. Same with Spraggins. I think Chaney is looking to have that monster size OL he had at UGA. Where OG's are 330+

VQ and 247 guys saying multiple times that Chaney loves him and that UT wants him badly. Same with Spraggins. I think Chaney is looking to have that monster size OL he had at UGA. Where OG's are 330+

Good stuff. Anybody else? Is Henderson a priority? I assume we have for 1 more, maybe 2?

Good info. Just not many "highly rated" OGs. Though if we can sneak either Morris or Henderson in, icing on the cake.

Yep. I agree with you both. Most of our best OGs the last decade or so have been 3-star guys. Dallas Thomas, Zach Fulton. Maybe I’ve got a short memory, but outside of course Trey Smith, I can’t think of 4-star or better OG that has really made a big impact for us.

In my years following recruiting my sense has been OL is among the toughest position groups to project from high school to college.

Reactions: Devo182
Good stuff. Anybody else? Is Henderson a priority? I assume we have for 1 more, maybe 2?
I'm not sure if Henderson is or not, I think he was then wasn't and might be creeping up the list again. Seems like they'll take 5 OL this class. They'll have 3 with the Robinson commitment tomorrow and are hoping to add Morris who can play OG or OT and likely a true OT, maybe one of the JUCO's. JMO

Think we'd like to add Morris and Dumervil... but we're not in great shape there. So we could be moving down the board at OT.
Yikes, Omari Thomas may just have to play offensive tackle after all. I think these kids know that Wanya & Darnell are the tackles for the next 3 years once they visit and see how massive both kids already are.

Reactions: Sevierville vol

This...

That is one topic that is never spoken about when someone is trying to de-value the ranking system. To me the biggest flaw with the ranking system is how it favors certain positions. I did some research showing how their rankings compare relative to the NFL Draft, pertaining to the value by position. You can see the breakdown below, but generally speaking the ranking sites over value QB and WR. And they WAY under value the OL and TEs.

Over the last 3 years, 29% of the NFL draft has been Offensive Linemen, yet only 12% of all 4 and 5 star players are Offensive Linemen.

Conversely, their are thirty one 4 and 5 star QB's yet the draft has only averaged 11 QBs taken each year.

It is ironic how they claim to be projecting their rankings to the NFL Draft however they can't even figure out positional value.

This proves to me that the ranking services are not run by true talent evaluators. The are attracted to the flashy positions (QB, WR, RB) and consistently over rank those players compared to other positions.

Attachments

• Rankings vs Draft.png
    Rankings vs Draft.png
    219.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

VN Store

Back