Alabama really is a cesspool

Sounds like they just need to go back to outhouses for the moment. That's what they did years ago.

In this situation, I know it is a bad situation and they probably have paid for services through taxes or whatever, but I think I want more info before making a snap judgment just yet. I'm familiar with Lawndes County. It is majority black, so that means by 2020, I'm sure the county leaders are mostly black. I wonder how the county leadership has addressed this. 60 Minutes won't do a deep dive on that because it may go against their narrative.

If push came to shove, I would go back to using an outhouse if the situation arose... especially in central Alabama. The summer with the flies and heat would be tough, but it sure beats having to use a port-a-John in the winter in the Midwest.

So Bill is bringing attention to the dozens of families in Bama that are violating the environmental laws. Shouldn't they be fined like the farmers? As I was reading the article, I kept asking myself what I'd do in that situation rather than have poo on the ground, and it was dig a cistern, as I've done for my dog waste in my yard. The article should have been about generational stupidity rather than blast the state of Alabama for not putting in septic tanks for every homeowner who choses to spend money on other things.
I know this could sound harsh but I remember my father talking about all the people in Sevier county that were installing indoor plumbing and running the pipe just outside the house, and being too lazy to run it another 50' to the cistern under the outhouse.

Sounds like they just need to go back to outhouses for the moment. That's what they did years ago.

In this situation, I know it is a bad situation and they probably have paid for services through taxes or whatever, but I think I want more info before making a snap judgment just yet. I'm familiar with Lawndes County. It is majority black, so that means by 2020, I'm sure the county leaders are mostly black. I wonder how the county leadership has addressed this. 60 Minutes won't do a deep dive on that because it may go against their narrative.

If push came to shove, I would go back to using an outhouse if the situation arose... especially in central Alabama. The summer with the flies and heat would be tough, but it sure beats having to use a port-a-John in the winter in the Midwest.
Port-a-johns will be a much more economical solution, or RV toilets with the large waste tanks that they can run to the treatment plant to dump.
I'd bet if that solution was offered, they'd reject it and let sewage flow on the ground.

Reactions: Rasputin_Vol
I know a lot of people that, if you volunteered to dig them a hole they'd give you the pickaxe and shovel.

Dependence on govt creates no incentive to help yourself. Nor does it attract people that will want to help you because why should they bend over backwards to help someone that doesn't help themselves?

Again, this 60 Minutes story is likely biased and likely is missing A LOT of key details. They may blame the Federal govt or state of Alabama, but I would really be interested to know what part the local politicians play in this...

So Bill is bringing attention to the dozens of families in Bama that are violating the environmental laws. Shouldn't they be fined like the farmers? As I was reading the article, I kept asking myself what I'd do in that situation rather than have poo on the ground, and it was dig a cistern, as I've done for my dog waste in my yard. The article should have been about generational stupidity rather than blast the state of Alabama for not putting in septic tanks for every homeowner who choses to spend money on other things.
I know this could sound harsh but I remember my father talking about all the people in Sevier county that were installing indoor plumbing and running the pipe just outside the house, and being too lazy to run it another 50' to the cistern under the outhouse.

This story deals greatly with generational poverty and the effects it has on decision making. These people cannot just snap their fingers and wake up with a completely altered values system and outlook on life.

Throwing money at the problem isn't the solution, in that we can agree. Volunteer and community programs and missionary ministries stand to make the greatest headway here. Then finding the money to lay infrastructure to support more businesses moving in. The cycle of generational and community poverty is not easy to break at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wireless1
You are not lying here. That is a perfect phrase.

This story deals greatly with generational poverty and the effects it has on decision making. These people cannot just snap their fingers and wake up with a completely altered values system and outlook on life.

Throwing money at the problem isn't the solution, in that we can agree. Volunteer and community programs and missionary ministries stand to make the greatest headway here. Then finding the money to lay infrastructure to support more businesses moving in. The cycle of generational and community property is not easy to break at all.
Outhouse

VN Store

Back