Allstate Wants to Track Your Driving to Determine Your Car Insurance Rate

There have been voluntary methods on this for ages. I know Progressive has a data tracker they plug into your OBDII port to get driving habit information. The wife’s new Lexus RX tattles on me to her in an app when I do hard acceleration or braking.

Curious why this is now news. Been going on for a while at different companies

Voluntarily. This article appears to be indicating Allstate is working with some state insurance regulators to use telematics instead of the agreed upon credit scores used in the past

Voluntarily. This article appears to be indicating Allstate is working with some state insurance regulators to use telematics instead of the agreed upon credit scores used in the past
and I have to use Allstate now?

maybe instead of just posting links all over with zero info you could start to include actual words in your posts. Would be helpful

Who is causing more problems on the road? The 21 year old with good reflexes and coordination who may drive more and a little faster or the old blue hair who doesn't know if he's in his driveway or on the interstate?

and I have to use Allstate now?

maybe instead of just posting links all over with zero info you could start to include actual words in your posts. Would be helpful
No, I will take you advice and file it accordingly.

Who is causing more problems on the road? The 21 year old with good reflexes and coordination who may drive more and a little faster or the old blue hair who doesn't know if he's in his driveway or on the interstate?

Statistics say the younger drivers.

Reactions: AM64
Statistics say it's the 21 year old . . . and it's not close. Actuaries figure out this kind of stuff.

None of this is new.

...and it has absolutely nothing to do with reflexes and a lot more to do with poor, (aggressive) decision-making.
Yep . . . Insurance companies stay in business for a reason. The loss ratios are predictable and well known at this point.

They'd do just fine without the mandates. Rates would just be higher because of increased uninsured motorist claims and moral hazard.

Agreed.

I still haven't understood why insurance companies do not require formal drivers education as a condition of writing a policy. Heck I still don't understand why TN doesn't require it before issuing a license.

Agreed.

I still haven't understood why insurance companies do not require formal drivers education as a condition of writing a policy. Heck I still don't understand why TN doesn't require it before issuing a license.
I agree 100%. Most companies steer people that way with a discount, but they'll let just about anybody that can fog a mirror have a drivers license. The hardest thing to believe is that .GOV hasn't figured that out and made it a state function that they can charge for lol.

I agree 100%. Most companies steer people that way with a discount, but they'll let just about anybody that can fog a mirror have a drivers license. The hardest thing to believe is that .GOV hasn't figured that out and made it a state function that they can charge for lol.
Class mate of mine caused an accident on her test and still passed.

It is a requirement in VA, you either took it at school or through a private course but had to have it to get your DL. Insurance was much cheaper there also.

This is called telematics.

This is becoming industry standard.

The ap on your phone already does this.

Hypothetically this allows for a much more personal snapshot.

This is called telematics.

This is becoming industry standard.

The ap on your phone already does this.

Hypothetically this allows for a much more personal snapshot.

My rate is going down like a fat girl at a frat party. Unless rolling thru stop signs, stopping on interstate merge lane, aggressive road rage, and dui are tracked.

It is a requirement in VA, you either took it at school or through a private course but had to have it to get your DL. Insurance was much cheaper there also.
I don't remember if TN required it but my parents sure did for the 4 of us. That plus our good grades dropped the rates but I still can't imagine how high they were

I don't remember if TN required it but my parents sure did for the 4 of us. That plus our good grades dropped the rates but I still can't imagine how high they were

It's not, I was surprised when our oldest got his learners and asked when he was taking drivers ed.

When I added my son a few years ago, the agent was taken aback when I told her that I did not want her to tell me how much my insurance was about to increase. And that I’d just check online tomorrow after the change processed and I had a drink in my hand.

VN Store

Back