Allstate Wants to Track Your Driving to Determine Your Car Insurance Rate

There have been voluntary methods on this for ages. I know Progressive has a data tracker they plug into your OBDII port to get driving habit information. The wife’s new Lexus RX tattles on me to her in an app when I do hard acceleration or braking.
The trucking industry has used driving behavior telematics for years. It’s almost to the point where they are required to get insurance, at least at any decent rate.

Reactions: AM64
Statistics say it's the 21 year old . . . and it's not close. Actuaries figure out this kind of stuff.

None of this is new.
Yep, the perfect range is something like 35-45 if I recall correctly. It’s been a while since I’ve seen the numbers. Back in my underwriting days (truck insurance back then) we used to be able to pull data that could tell us how many accidents our clients had on a Tuesday from 5:00 to 6:00 in a certain state with drivers of a certain age, and so on. It was almost too much info at our fingertips.

There have been voluntary methods on this for ages. I know Progressive has a data tracker they plug into your OBDII port to get driving habit information. The wife’s new Lexus RX tattles on me to her in an app when I do hard acceleration or braking.

Every time I call Progressive (they make it impossible to change states without calling in), they spend half the call trying to get me on that program. And now they do it before letting you make the changes you called in for so you can't hang up on it.

If I wanted something to gripe about my driving everywhere I go, I'd bring my wife along.

VN Store

Back