Am I the only one loving this defense?

Stevorino

What a huge improvement from last year!

- I love how ferociously they are going after the football. They truly do swarm to the ball. They are very clearly trying to create turnovers as well. I'm not sure when the last time I saw this much energy from one of our defenses.

- Cam Sutton is being a badass and a half. How could anyone have honestly predicted him to be doing this well after 2 games? He was clearly picked on by Petrino, but he wasn't the liability out there that I was worried about.

- The linebackers, especially AJ, are doing a great job. Can't wait to see what Maggit brings to the table.

- D Line is doing a good job putting pressure on the QB. Once again, can't wait to see J. Smith come on board and add more talent.

If they can stay healthy, this defense could be the best we've seen sport orange in years. If they can be disciplined in Eugene, I feel like they'll keep the game respectable and give this offense a chance to do something special.

Reactions: 28 people
No you are not. I love the effort that they are putting forth right now! And I truly believe they will be better next week'

Reactions: 2 people
I won't judge based off the Oregon game. Oregon has the most prolific offense in college football. Let's test them against someone like South Carolina/Alabama.

Reactions: 8 people
My answer to this post next week will be quite different than now...

That said...I see effort that was not as apparent the last several years...so I'll give them that.

Meanwhile...the 1st couple of games was like Kramer at the DoJo...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t8xwpW8gJQ[/youtube]

Reactions: 4 people
I expect to see improvement from last year on the defense in next week's game, but I'll reserve overall judgment for the next 5 games as a whole.

Whole different attitude. Love it. Hope they still play hard and don't fold when losing like in the past. I really think they will keep playing hard though!

Fewer missed assignments. They play faster. They corrected mistakes from game 1 to game 2 in a noticeable way. They are demonstrating they have talent. They also demonstrated vs WKU that they have great endurance- you didn't see many open signs of fatigue in spite of them playing a lot of minutes in the 1st half.

Well prepared. Well coached. Motivated. Cohesive.

One example: On a drive before Suttons pick, WKU burned him with basically the same play. He goes to the sideline and gets coached up. Next time he jumps the route for a pick 6. That's not something that I have seen so obvious for years (including when Chavis was around).

Reactions: 6 people
I don't love it yet. Got gashed way too many times yesterday both on the ground and in the air. Still a work in progress.

What I do love is the effort, the intensity, the bend but don't break attitude they displayed yesterday. And I do love the way they forced some of those turnovers yesterday.... particularly Sapp's forced fumble.

Reactions: 4 people
I thought there was alot to like about our defense yesterday, but I'm far from having alot of confidence in it yet.

Sutton's pick was first class. Really impressed with that kid so far.

I am pumped to! Just would like to see Big Dan be more assertive and collapse the pocket. I just need the D-line to stop giving up so many rushing yards. Plus Daniel Hood is way to small to be a run stopping DT. They ran right at him all day yesterday just to small.

We played a couple of JV teams. We'll see what we really got this weekend

The Quacks could put 35 on bama, so what 50 to 60, it dont matter if the quacks beat us 66 to 3 go down fighting kicking scratching biting spiting do what you got to do, just dont quit.:eek:hmy:

I love the intensity and the swarming of the ball butch promised and delivered but our secondary coverage is still suspect IMO. I think the run D is vastly improved even though it wasn't that horrid to begin with but when I see solid 1 on 1 tackling in open field and gang tackling RB's before they can make it to the outside, I can't help but smile. IMO, the best play of the season so far was Sapp's strip of the ball as he was running. Just good to see that strength and awareness again.

Reactions: 1 person
Fewer missed assignments. They play faster. They corrected mistakes from game 1 to game 2 in a noticeable way. They are demonstrating they have talent. They also demonstrated vs WKU that they have great endurance- you didn't see many open signs of fatigue in spite of them playing a lot of minutes in the 1st half.

Well prepared. Well coached. Motivated. Cohesive.

One example: On a drive before Suttons pick, WKU burned him with basically the same play. He goes to the sideline and gets coached up. Next time he jumps the route for a pick 6. That's not something that I have seen so obvious for years (including when Chavis was around).

underrated post is underrated

love the example

Reactions: 3 people
What a huge improvement from last year!

- I love how ferociously they are going after the football. They truly do swarm to the ball. They are very clearly trying to create turnovers as well. I'm not sure when the last time I saw this much energy from one of our defenses.

- Cam Sutton is being a badass and a half. How could anyone have honestly predicted him to be doing this well after 2 games? He was clearly picked on by Petrino, but he wasn't the liability out there that I was worried about.

- The linebackers, especially AJ, are doing a great job. Can't wait to see what Maggit brings to the table.

- D Line is doing a good job putting pressure on the QB. Once again, can't wait to see J. Smith come on board and add more talent.

If they can stay healthy, this defense could be the best we've seen sport orange in years. If they can be disciplined in Eugene, I feel like they'll keep the game respectable and give this offense a chance to do something special.

I mostly agree.

I don't know that I'd go so far as to call this our best D in years, but it's definitely a dramatic improvement over last year's disaster. We did give up some big plays against WKU and had difficulty stopping them on 3rd-and-long too often. Yet, we adjusted in the 2nd half and held a Bobby Petrino-coached offense to 3 points.

I suspect that Oregon will pick apart our secondary, but that 2nd half makes me cautiously optimistic that we might be able to stop them maybe half the time.

I love the intensity and the swarming of the ball butch promised and delivered but our secondary coverage is still suspect IMO. I think the run D is vastly improved even though it wasn't that horrid to begin with but when I see solid 1 on 1 tackling in open field and gang tackling RB's before they can make it to the outside, I can't help but smile. IMO, the best play of the season so far was Sapp's strip of the ball as he was running. Just good to see that strength and awareness again.

This may be what impresses me most. The players aren't just tackling better than they have in years... they are doing so while also trying to create turnovers. It's very apparent they are targeting the ball.

I bet we create more turnovers this season than we have in over a decade.

VN Store

Back