Am I the only one loving this defense?

I don't like our 3rd down defense, the timing of our zone blitz calls, and showing man coverage early where teams can check and get AJ isolated in space.

Besides that, the db's played the ball well. Call int's gifts or whatever. They just say int in the stats. They swarmed well.
Seems like AJ and others were attacking early but sat back and were blocked easily at times, but that may have been to try and read or get their hands on one of the short passes.
They just need to keep it simple. And don't drop Corey Miller into coverage again please. Especially on 3rd down. But I have a feeling this staff is led by a coach who tries his best to learn from mistakes

Miller was dropped into coverage to try to stop the half back wheel route that got us several times. Its a chess game and it was a valid move .

Alot of the pressures and coverages contributed or led to turnovers. Such as the cushion the corners provided. They read the route and jumped the back shoulder throw. The cushion killed the double move , the go route , and the rear shoulder throw. They forced CBPs offense to the center ..which aids the backers in run defense .

I disagree with you . Given what they had , with a young secondary and some pass rush issues , and considering they were playing a Patrino O which will find seems and open grass ..the D was well schemed and executed.

Reactions: 4 people
Miller was dropped into coverage to try to stop the half back wheel route that got us several times. Its a chess game and it was a valid move .

Alot of the pressures and coverages contributed or led to turnovers. Such as the cushion the corners provided. They read the route and jumped the back shoulder throw. The cushion killed the double move , the go route , and the rear shoulder throw. They forced CBPs offense to the center ..which aids the backers in run defense .

I disagree with you . Given what they had , with a young secondary and some pass rush issues , and considering they were playing a Patrino O which will find seems and open grass ..the D was well schemed and executed.

Well said. The soft man and zone coverages gave up some short passes but on the whole they tackled well and maybe I'm just looking through orange colored glasses but this group looks to have the best ball skills and hands of any group in along while. Most of the int"s were caught like a receiver with the hands. Ball hawks are coming Ducks!)

Well said. The soft man and zone coverages gave up some short passes but on the whole they tackled well and maybe I'm just looking through orange colored glasses but this group looks to have the best ball skills and hands of any group in along while. Most of the int"s were caught like a receiver with the hands. Ball hawks are coming Ducks!)

Agreed . Butch and company did a great job with the 'eye discipline' . The corners and safeties made very good read and react decisions. It was obvious they were schooled well in the film room and chalked up good.

People forget how tricky and crafty CBP is. You will give up something against him , he will catch you and will set you up. A defense must pick its poison . Not only did we do that , but we exploited his tendencies...and then adapted to his second life after the half.

If we can scheme this well next week on D and manage to run the ball ...we could have a fighting chance.

Does anyone know what kind of grade the D received?

I promise you the coaches aren't pumping the sunshine the fans are regarding yesterday's performance. I like the enthusiasm they show, but there were some serious lapses in coverage.

Reactions: 1 person
Does anyone know what kind of grade the D received?

I promise you the coaches aren't pumping the sunshine the fans are regarding yesterday's performance. I like the enthusiasm they show, but there were some serious lapses in coverage.

Agreed. Too early to get that pumped. I see positives. But, I want to see more pressure up front. WKU put up good numbers. Lets reconvene mid season.

IDK. I like the discipline and the effort but I think we're going to get a harsh reality check Sat. No shame really in losing to Oregon but I hope we're competitive and IDK that we have the talent and depth to keep up with them. A huge turnaround though from what we were which is one of the worst defensive teams in all of college football last year. Should get a more accurate read as to where we are next weekend.

I like our chances a lot more versus UF than Oregon.

I don't mind the 3rd and longs, I am a fan of bend don't break. We have been crumble at the snap the last few years. If we are creating turn overs or forcing FG's in the red zone I am happy with it.

IDK. I like the discipline and the effort but I think we're going to get a harsh reality check Sat. No shame really in losing to Oregon but I hope we're competitive and IDK that we have the talent and depth to keep up with them. A huge turnaround though from what we were which is one of the worst defensive teams in all of college football last year. Should get a more accurate read as to where we are next weekend.

I like our chances a lot more versus UF than Oregon.

Agree. Gators look vulnerable. Oregon not as much.

Agree. Gators look vulnerable. Oregon not as much.

Hard to tell on Oregon yet ...they have played no one this far . Virginia is not as good as WKU . Plus they have been playing much of their starters thru the 4th . It is hard to guage based on competition or stats .

I think we have been practicing for oregon the last two games which may have drawn some criticism in the WKU game. We were lining up to give a lot of space to their receivers, and they never once got behind us. At times their rb would break through for a good gain but never busted us for a TD.

Using a lot of misdirection etc works much better when there is a lot of field/space to work with, but is less effective within the red zone. Thats why alot of oregons scores come from highlight reel plays. I think butch has had the team practicing this "bend not break" defense because he knows that if we don't give up the big plays for TDs and instead settle for stopping them in the red zone for a field goal, we might have a chance.

Reactions: 4 people
They still have a lot to work on, but there is a noticeable difference from last year. It's very refreshing to not see half the defense staring at the sideline with their hands up in the air as the other team snaps the ball. They've been a pretty fun unit to watch so far.

Reactions: 2 people
I have been preaching for months that this defense would be night and day from last years. They are much better than it appeared from last year because they where poorly coached and in a scheme they where not recruited to play.

I believe they will do better against Oregon then people think.

regardless of the results, i do appreciate the effort. it was also nice to see our front 4 actually relevant and getting pressure...feels like it has been about 5 years since we got a sack with just the front 4. even though wku isnt sec caliber, it was still nice to see. hopefully they improve as the season goes on. i just hope that if oregon puts a lot of points on us it is because we are outclassed and not outcoached and/or turning the ball over.

Depends on if we're talking about top SEC schools or bottom SEC schools. Cause last time I checked UK was in the SEC. WKU is better then UK. Of course that's not saying much. WKU I think would give Vandy a run for their money too. Unfortunately as much as we'd like to, we can't exclude UK.

Reactions: 2 people
I won't judge based off the Oregon game. Oregon has the most prolific offense in college football. Let's test them against someone like South Carolina/Alabama.

No doubt the defense is playing better. WKU did move the ball on them pretty easy until 6 turnovers. WKU played horrible which made the defense look better than it probably is. The team has improved in many areas. If u win the turnover and penalty battle every week u will be in ball games!

Well...love their effort, but if you take away the pick sixes WKU still had almost 500 of offense. That's scary headed into the heart of our schedule!

that's all good my man. However, regarding Miller, I'm not referring to him covering and rb out of the backfield on a wheel route and don't remember that. If so, I definitely do not ever want our DT or DE covering an rb down the sideline on a wheel route. That's not good.
The play I refer to is Miller dropping into coverage 10 yds off the ball on a zone blitz (@ 1:15 or so mark on Freak's all defensive plays video), which left him in the middle of the field on either a TE or slot WR with no help. Plus, it was 3rd down. I don't expect to see that happen again, as that is an easy pass and catch for any qb and wr.

Last edited:
I'm loving the effort, ball hawking, and discipline. This is a much appreciated change from the nightmare last year. While I don't expect a win at Oregon, I do expect them to give 100% effort and not quit.

What a huge improvement from last year!

- I love how ferociously they are going after the football. They truly do swarm to the ball. They are very clearly trying to create turnovers as well. I'm not sure when the last time I saw this much energy from one of our defenses.

- Cam Sutton is being a badass and a half. How could anyone have honestly predicted him to be doing this well after 2 games? He was clearly picked on by Petrino, but he wasn't the liability out there that I was worried about.

- The linebackers, especially AJ, are doing a great job. Can't wait to see what Maggit brings to the table.

- D Line is doing a good job putting pressure on the QB. Once again, can't wait to see J. Smith come on board and add more talent.

If they can stay healthy, this defense could be the best we've seen sport orange in years. If they can be disciplined in Eugene, I feel like they'll keep the game respectable and give this offense a chance to do something special.

A.J. was out of position all game. He is our weakest link right now.

I have been preaching for months that this defense would be night and day from last years. They are much better than it appeared from last year because they where poorly coached and in a scheme they where not recruited to play.

I believe they will do better against Oregon then people think.

Doubt it. WKU passed all over us. If not for the turnovers, it would have been a game. Oregon 45, UT 10. Worley won't throw a TD pass. Book it.

I think our defense can actually contain their offense. Problem is IDK that our offense can give us enough to keep the defensive unit fresh.

VN Store

Back