Anti - Tennessee Bias

Is ESPN biased against UT?

• Total voters
And I'll bet you even more than that 73% still feels extremley sore over Peyton's Heisman race. You're telling me that most people in here has a more or less objective view on any bias may have towards ESPN?

I sympathize with Peyton for his Heisman race. He did get screwed. But to say that ESPN is directly out to hurt UT in any way shape or form is just ludacris. When the bottom line is ratings, who would care? You might pick up a few numbers in Tuscaloosa and Gainesville. Woopty-freakin'-doo.

Originally posted by milohimself@May 12, 2005 5:38 PM
And I'll bet you even more than that 73% still feels extremley sore over Peyton's Heisman race. You're telling me that most people in here has a more or less objective view on any bias may have towards ESPN?

I sympathize with Peyton for his Heisman race. He did get screwed. But to say that ESPN is directly out to hurt UT in any way shape or form is just ludacris. When the bottom line is ratings, who would care? You might pick up a few numbers in Tuscaloosa and Gainesville. Woopty-freakin'-doo.

I've presented numerous incidents that are documented, and are negative towards UT. What have you presented other than bravado?

If you're going to present your argument, at least find some positive things they've said about the football program. I know that would be very difficult to do, but at least you could try something other than just saying over and over that you 'think' it's ludicrous.

I've given facts and you've given your opinion. That's fine and dandy, but it sure doesn't stand up to the incidents that I've presented to support my argument.

I was watching Battle of the Gridiron stars the other day and Heirbstreet made a remark about "Those country boys from Tennessee are good at throwing tires" whenever Witten was competing.

Not that I care if they hate us or not, but I thought hearing that might add to the discussion you boys are having.

Originally posted by OldVol@May 12, 2005 9:31 PM
I've presented numerous incidents that are documented, and are negative towards UT. What have you presented other than bravado?

If you're going to present your argument, at least find some positive things they've said about the football program. I know that would be very difficult to do, but at least you could try something other than just saying over and over that you 'think' it's ludicrous.

I've given facts and you've given your opinion. That's fine and dandy, but it sure doesn't stand up to the incidents that I've presented to support my argument.

Tell me, right now, what good it does ESPN to publically bash UT specifically. You've come up with the incidents that ESPN has inadvertently hurt UT's look due to their own hunt for ratings, but if that's the way you choose to percieve them, then ESPN is out to bad-mouth every program in the country at some point.

Jason White and Adrian Peterson didn't get the Heisman last season. So I guess ESPN has an agenda against Oklahoma. Auburn didn't make the national championship, so ESPN has to have an agenda against them, too.

ESPN's only agenda is ratings. Any other outside agenda against specific programs are a waste of time. They cover the winning programs, because people wanna see teams win. They cover programs in turmoil, because people wanna see that too.

Maybe it's just how they spin things sometimes that gets under my skin. I read an article on CBS Sportsline about how UT was out of control and I can see how they can make the point. However, there is an article on CBS today about ASU and how they are bouncing back FROM MURDER! This was a complete cover-up by the ASU athletic dept. and they're the victims?? The media is calling for Fulmer's head but the Sun Devils should be admired for their courage. I would just like to see the negative press spread around a bit.

Originally posted by OldVol@May 12, 2005 11:31 PM

Those incidents don't show any bias whatsoever towards UT.

ESPN showing Woodsen videos was for ratings....not negative towards UT.

The commercial (which only dealt with the Elite schools) was a joke and if you are mad about it.....get over it. It was a damn joke that the entire country basically laughed at.

Originally posted by U&#045;T+May 13, 2005 10:27 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (U-T @ May 13, 2005 10:27 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-OldVol@May 12, 2005 11:31 PM
I&#39;ve presented numerous incidents that are documented, and are negative towards UT. What have you presented other than bravado?

Those incidents don&#39;t show any bias whatsoever towards UT.

ESPN showing Woodsen videos was for ratings....not negative towards UT.

The commercial (which only dealt with the Elite schools) was a joke and if you are mad about it.....get over it. It was a damn joke that the entire country basically laughed at. [/quote]
I didn&#39;t like it. I didn&#39;t think it was funny, and guess what? I don&#39;t have to get over it. I could tell you to shove it up your tail pipe, but guess what? You don&#39;t have to. :p

Neither do I. B)

And I&#39;m going to prove it. :naughty:

ESPN is biased against the Vols. Yeah, I&#39;ll say it again, they&#39;re biased. :bad:

You dont have to get over it either but acting as if it is some sort of UT-Bias is beyond laughable.

Reminds me of Houston Nutt not using Pink jerseys anymore because of the Breast Cancer Foundation complained.....good lord, stop being so sensitive and get over it. There is a reason 90% of the people who read that story rolled their eyes and laughed.

Originally posted by milohimself+May 13, 2005 1:09 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (milohimself @ May 13, 2005 1:09 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-OldVol@May 12, 2005 9:31 PM
I&#39;ve presented numerous incidents that are documented, and are negative towards UT. What have you presented other than bravado?

If you&#39;re going to present your argument, at least find some positive things they&#39;ve said about the football program. I know that would be very difficult to do, but at least you could try something other than just saying over and over that you &#39;think&#39; it&#39;s ludicrous.

I&#39;ve given facts and you&#39;ve given your opinion. That&#39;s fine and dandy, but it sure doesn&#39;t stand up to the incidents that I&#39;ve presented to support my argument.

Tell me, right now, what good it does ESPN to publically bash UT specifically. You&#39;ve come up with the incidents that ESPN has inadvertently hurt UT&#39;s look due to their own hunt for ratings, but if that&#39;s the way you choose to percieve them, then ESPN is out to bad-mouth every program in the country at some point.

Jason White and Adrian Peterson didn&#39;t get the Heisman last season. So I guess ESPN has an agenda against Oklahoma. Auburn didn&#39;t make the national championship, so ESPN has to have an agenda against them, too.

ESPN&#39;s only agenda is ratings. Any other outside agenda against specific programs are a waste of time. They cover the winning programs, because people wanna see teams win. They cover programs in turmoil, because people wanna see that too. [/quote]
I said previously that it&#39;s not a concerted effort, but there&#39;s an obvious dislike by their talking heads.

Now, once again, you&#39;ve presented your opinion without anything at all to reinforce it. That&#39;s just fine, but it does nothing to strengthen your point.

I will agree that ESPN&#39;s primary motive is ratings, but if you&#39;re trying to say that these guys are so supreme that they can rise above the righteous outcry that followed the Peyton screwing, then you&#39;re really living in a land I know nothing about. The reality is; when people get attacked, be it justified (and it was) or unjustified (and it wasn&#39;t) they always remember it and most retaliate every opportunity they find to do so. These guys obviously have done this. They do it with their snide remarks about our coach, our history, and even our state&#39;s people.

Again, I&#39;ve presented things they DO. What have you presented other than your opinion.

Search the airwaves and webpages and show me the positive side of their comments regarding UT like they do the teams you mentioned (Oklahoma, Auburn). I assure you that at a mninium of 70% of their comments about us are negative. I&#39;m sure they have other schools they dislike as much as they do us, but I don&#39;t really care as much about the others.

Just because they cover us does not mean they don&#39;t have negative feelings about us.

Dan Rather covered the Bush story, I don&#39;t think anyone could say he was neutral in his coverage.

So ESPN covers a team that&#39;s an all-time top 10 team. Imagine that?

Originally posted by U&#045;T@May 13, 2005 11:37 AM
You dont have to get over it either but acting as if it is some sort of UT-Bias is beyond laughable.

Reminds me of Houston Nutt not using Pink jerseys anymore because of the Breast Cancer Foundation complained.....good lord, stop being so sensitive and get over it. There is a reason 90% of the people who read that story rolled their eyes and laughed.

What story are you talking about, the pink jersey story?

And if so, how in the world does that relate to ESPN&#39;s obvious bias?

Clarify for me.

Originally posted by BeltwayVol@May 13, 2005 12:34 AM
I was watching Battle of the Gridiron stars the other day and Heirbstreet made a remark about "Those country boys from Tennessee are good at throwing tires" whenever Witten was competing.

Not that I care if they hate us or not, but I thought hearing that might add to the discussion you boys are having.

When was the last time you heard them say anything positive about our football program, coach, or players?

Herbstreit generally has good things to say about Tennessee.

Remember, he was the only one of the bunch who picked us to beat Auburn last year. Of course, he was wrong, but he generally likes UT. So does Ron Franklin, the best play-by-play guy on TV right now, IMO.

What more proof do you need than this.

Georgia Player Gets 45 Days In Jail, No Game Suspensions

If that had been UT, ESPN would have had a field day With Fulmer and UT

Originally posted by orangetd88@May 13, 2005 12:12 PM
Herbstreit generally has good things to say about Tennessee.

Remember, he was the only one of the bunch who picked us to beat Auburn last year. Of course, he was wrong, but he generally likes UT. So does Ron Franklin, the best play-by-play guy on TV right now, IMO.

I agree with that.

I think some of them are so transparent in their dislike of us though, that it&#39;s really obvious.

A good journalist can report the facts without letting their personal feelings interfere. Of course, there are very few &#39;good&#39; journalists in the sports media.

It is one thing for a journalist to dislike someone, it&#39;s another altogether when that dislike is visible.

Originally posted by TNVOLS1@May 13, 2005 12:14 PM

To reinforce your argument, all you have to do is look on their website&#39;s front page right now. They still have an active link to a negative story about Coach Fulmer that was posted April 19.

It&#39;s been up nearly a month and they still have it front page. Now, that&#39;s really a slow month for college football news, isn&#39;t it? Of course, there&#39;s been a dozen arrests of players nation wide since that date, but none seem to get the longevity of a UT infraction.

That&#39;s not an opinon. It&#39;s still there. That&#39;s a fact. Just go to their CF front page and click on Contributors and you&#39;ll see it. It&#39;s right under the glowing story about Waking up the Echoes at ND.

There it is - I see it . . . It&#39;s right below the biased, negative stories in the headlines about UCONN, Ohio State and Georgia. :question: :p

Originally posted by GAVol@May 13, 2005 2:17 PM
There it is - I see it . . . It&#39;s right below the biased, negative stories in the headlines about UCONN, Ohio State and Georgia. :question: :p

Okay, Wisenhiemer&#33; Reporting news is appropriate. Sometimes we have negative things to report. I can live with that. Every once in a while you&#39;d think they would have a nice, positive piece to put up about the Vols.

Tell me, when was the last one you can remember?

Go ahead&#33;

I&#39;ll be waiting.

Originally posted by OldVol+May 13, 2005 3:57 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (OldVol @ May 13, 2005 3:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-GAVol@May 13, 2005 2:17 PM
There it is - I see it . . . It&#39;s right below the biased, negative stories in the headlines about UCONN, Ohio State and Georgia.    :question:  :p

Okay, Wisenhiemer&#33; Reporting news is appropriate. Sometimes we have negative things to report. I can live with that. Every once in a while you&#39;d think they would have a nice, positive piece to put up about the Vols.

Tell me, when was the last one you can remember?

Go ahead&#33;

I&#39;ll be waiting. [/quote]
Sorry. Being a smart ass is second nature to me . . . I will concede that we are an easy target that many in the media will take occasion to go after. I just don&#39;t think there is an institutional plot on ESPN&#39;s part to be biased toward any particular school - unless they are trying to pimp a particular game for ratings purposes. I think everybody does that though.

Originally posted by OldVol+May 13, 2005 9:45 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (OldVol @ May 13, 2005 9:45 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-milohimself@May 13, 2005 1:09 AM
Tell me, right now, what good it does ESPN to publically bash UT specifically.

I said previously that it&#39;s not a concerted effort, but there&#39;s an obvious dislike by their talking heads.

Now, once again, you&#39;ve presented your opinion without anything at all to reinforce it. That&#39;s just fine, but it does nothing to strengthen your point.

I will agree that ESPN&#39;s primary motive is ratings, but if you&#39;re trying to say that these guys are so supreme that they can rise above the righteous outcry that followed the Peyton screwing, then you&#39;re really living in a land I know nothing about. The reality is; when people get attacked, be it justified (and it was) or unjustified (and it wasn&#39;t) they always remember it and most retaliate every opportunity they find to do so. These guys obviously have done this. They do it with their snide remarks about our coach, our history, and even our state&#39;s people.

Again, I&#39;ve presented things they DO. What have you presented other than your opinion.

Search the airwaves and webpages and show me the positive side of their comments regarding UT like they do the teams you mentioned (Oklahoma, Auburn). I assure you that at a mninium of 70% of their comments about us are negative. I&#39;m sure they have other schools they dislike as much as they do us, but I don&#39;t really care as much about the others.

Just because they cover us does not mean they don&#39;t have negative feelings about us.

Dan Rather covered the Bush story, I don&#39;t think anyone could say he was neutral in his coverage.

So ESPN covers a team that&#39;s an all-time top 10 team. Imagine that? [/quote]
So many words yet no answers... Man, ESPN talks crap about a LOT of schools. You just focus on what they say about us because... Well, it&#39;s us.

And my evidence is a lack thereof. I can find no evidence that says ESPN has any sort of gain whatsoever in making Tennessee look bad, and I would think ESPN&#39;s business sense better than to pander to the rivalry fever of a handful of their desk jockeys.

If ESPN does gain some substantial amount of cash by making UT look bad, I would like to see it. Once again, this is NOT instances of ESPN bashing UT, but the gain they get from it.

I think the most telling thing is the fact that you see the same complaint about ESPN on a lot of other schools&#39; message boards. Everybody gets sensitive when they are being talked about in anything other than glowing terms.

Originally posted by TNVOLS1@May 13, 2005 12:14 PM

[snapback]93391[/snapback]​

ESPN took UGA to the woodshed and back with their basketball problems...and did TV shows about it....Outside the Lines....

EVERYTHING

UGA has had numerous ESPN articles about problems....

So I dont see anything that makes that UT&#39;s bias

I can take the negative reports, I really can. We deserved to be talked about with all the arrests.

But another instance was the Linda-Bensel-Meyers fiasco. The university investigated and found nothing, the NCAA investigated and found nothing, and yet their reporters still mention it from time to time as if it had credibility. LBM was the head of a consortium whose sole purpose was to bash college athletics. Her organization, I forget the name, has for years had a briar up their butt because of the disparity between coaches&#39; pay and professors&#39; pay. Their sole purpose is to defame athletics as it now exists with academia.

The website reported it, it was proven to be nothing, and yet they still drop their tutor jokes.

I often watch Fox. They are really tough on us at times too, but they will also come around from time to time and report really nice things about teh Neyland experience, the endzones, etc. ESPN never does this.

Milo,

The fact that ESPN may not gain monetarily by bashing us doesn&#39;t keep them from doing it. I&#39;m just saying their reporters are highly one-sided when it comes to UT. I think the vast majority of folks would agree. To label it a conspiracy is a stretch. I just think it&#39;s a case of human beings being human beings. They got pissed when UT fans clobbered them and have never gotten over it.

Originally posted by OldVol@May 14, 2005 8:56 PM
Milo,

The fact that ESPN may not gain monetarily by bashing us doesn&#39;t keep them from doing it. I&#39;m just saying their reporters are highly one-sided when it comes to UT. I think the vast majority of folks would agree. To label it a conspiracy is a stretch. I just think it&#39;s a case of human beings being human beings. They got pissed when UT fans clobbered them and have never gotten over it.
[snapback]93880[/snapback]​

Then join the club. Fans of many programs around the country feel that way about ESPN.

UT was accused of serious crimes...why exactly shouldn&#39;t ESPN not cover it?

You can think ESPN dislikes us all you want but it makes you look more silly.

VN Store

Back