Anti - Tennessee Bias

Is ESPN biased against UT?

• Total voters
Woodson didn't have the stats that Hines Ward had at GA the same year. Ward was a multi position player that deserved more credit than Woodson. But Michgan was playing a bowl game on the ESPN parent channel and ratings were needed. Period! I don't live in TN and I travel all over on business. I have had many, many football fans tell me Peyton was robbed (when they find out I went to UT and without me bringing up the subject) and that the Heisman doesn't mean the same to them anymore either. The Heisman ratings prove it.

You may not believe that ESPN dislikes UT all you want. (I think there are some on there who do.) But it cannot be argued that ESPN did not have a HUGE impact on the Manning robbery. If they really wanted a multi-position player that was awsome they would have chosen someone who had better return yards, more ints and more receptions for more TD's and yards. That would be Ward from GA.

CBS? How could they possibly be biased? They're too busy trying to stop the game for commercials to try and spend time analyzing. Or should I say starting a game late so they can work in these important messages?
:ph34r:

Originally posted by U-T@Apr 19, 2005 2:36 PM
How? By talking about it?

Lord people, get some skin.

No, how about by replaying it saying "what a great play!" and putting it on top 10 plays in college football etc.

Funny how you criticize people for thinking that ESPN has something against UT, yet you're doing the exact opposite by defending them as if they can do no wrong whatsoever.

Pot, this is the hettle, you're black.

ok its about time for a clausen bashing , or who's gonna be our QB thread this dead horse is on its last leg

No, how about by replaying it saying "what a great play!" and putting it on top 10 plays in college football etc.

It was a great play and one that helped us get to the NC game. Not sure where that point was going.

Funny how you criticize people for thinking that ESPN has something against UT, yet you're doing the exact opposite by defending them as if they can do no wrong whatsoever.

Where am I doing the opposite? I am simply pointing out that ESPN has no thing against UT whatsoever and its pointless and quite baseless to think so.

You can moan and cry about several incidents where an announcer or 1-2 writers didn't kiss our butts but on a whole they have done nothing but help nationalize our program and showcase what we have.

CBSSportsline did a huge article on Woodsen right before he won the Heisman yet nobody ever talks about that....what about TSN's front-cover of Woodsen before the Heisman?

Anyone?

you're right U-T , they're all out to get us!!!!!!!!!!! just kidding I see your point, and like I said if we weren't a winning program we'd get no air at all, but i still think they suck and the others only jumped on the Woodson bandwagon after ESPN started it rolling.

My point of all this was, and U-T's ang GAVol's, is that ESPN sucks but they dont have any particular bias against Tennessee. They pushed Woodson because it got more ratings than Peyton. Everything ESPN does, as well as every other form of major media in the country, is to get ratings.

Higher ratings = more advertising $$$

That's the bottom line. ESPN will pimp or talk trash about whoever it takes in order to make that cash.

It's what I've said about them all along. The thing is, they're supposed to be journalists for crying out loud. They should speak their hearts, and they should always speak the truth, be damned with the ratings.

But you're right Milo. That's why they should accurately be called Pimps.

The only problem is, when some schools have problems, they take up for their pets. It may be human nature but it's lousy journalism.

The greatest journalists in the world, be they news, sports or other, can relate the facts, call the game, deliver the news, and you never have a clue as to which side they're on.

These guys don't qualify in that respect.

Originally posted by milohimself@Apr 19, 2005 4:07 PM
My point of all this was, and U-T's ang GAVol's, is that ESPN sucks but they dont have any particular bias against Tennessee. They pushed Woodson because it got more ratings than Peyton. Everything ESPN does, as well as every other form of major media in the country, is to get ratings.

Higher ratings = more advertising $$$

That's the bottom line. ESPN will pimp or talk trash about whoever it takes in order to make that cash.

Apparently you werent around when Chris Fowler made some of his d**khead comments after the Heisman race...........

The fact that he was not fired or even reprimanded proves the bias in my mind

I don't get it though! Why would ESPN go out of their way to get at Tennessee? I don't think they care THAT much about their markets in Alabama and north Florida, which is about all the extra numbers they'd get.

There is a difference between writers and journalists and many people are confusing the two.

People who write for the newspapers and report news are supposed to be reporting the facts.

People that write for ESPN and Editorials are supposed to have opinions. ESPN wouldn't hire many of their writers unless they spoke on one side to get attention.

At the core of this thread is:

Is ESPN anti-Tennessee in the sense that they dislike UT in and of itself or do they just go after who ever is on top (and vulnerable)?

The notion of conspiracy (please consult a Bama fan) is the former. The latter may be a conspiracy but not one against UT but instead against success.

To get the answer, look objectively at the actual total number of positive comments vs. negative ones and compare that to the same ratio for other successful programs. We remember the few negative comments (the same 3 - 5 over the last 8 years have been repeated throughout this thread) but forget the many more positive comments. We also forget that every media has exhibited the same pattern.

How about a compromise, an indirect anti-Tennessee bias due to the last 12 years of success at UT. :peace2:

Originally posted by milohimself@Apr 20, 2005 12:47 AM
But what about the last two years of incredible success at Southern California?

Don't start with me son :p

I recognize sarcasm when I see. (I think)

Anyone have a tape of every ESPN comment about USC? I bet we'll find something :beer:

All of this talk and no one has dared touch the outlandish, crude, hateful advertisement with the pig and the UT fans.

Somehow that just speaks for itself, doesn't it.

Originally posted by OldVol@Apr 20, 2005 9:08 AM
All of this talk and no one has dared touch the outlandish, crude, hateful advertisement with the pig and the UT fans.

Somehow that just speaks for itself, doesn't it.

That Gameday AD was hilarious. I can't name one person, not a UT fan, that didn't chuckle when they say it.

ESPN did it for laughs because UT is a nationally elite program with a steriotype to many around the country.

Had nothing to do with a vengence against us

I've got to say - I laughed at it too. If you can't laugh at yourself . . .

they were laughing with us not at us , and I chuckled too.....but ESPN still sucks with the mute off

I loved that ad. How many other programs did they spend the $$ on to produce a commercial? Maybe 4 or 5. Those ESPN commercials are just made to be funny and we need to quit taking ourselves so seriously. But, that being said, :censored: ESPN!

Tony Kornheiser called Fulmer "Phil Fulmer" on PTI today... Although he was supposed to be immitating Spurrier. And they also brought up the fact that 11 SoCar players have been arrested since the end of last season.

Originally posted by utvolpj@Apr 20, 2005 4:17 PM
I loved that ad. How many other programs did they spend the $$ on to produce a commercial? Maybe 4 or 5. Those ESPN commercials are just made to be funny and we need to quit taking ourselves so seriously. But, that being said, :censored: ESPN!

Agree.

VN Store

Back